Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

Wilderness Logistics 3/4 Synthetic UQ, pillow and tarp skins

I want to give this a review because Marty at Wilderness Logistics has done a wonderful service by me in regards to answering questions and helping with stuff in general.

After I looked into several different companies underquilts and being put off by price and just not knowing what would work, I emailed Marty (several times) with some questions as to just why his would be best for me.

Well, at under $100 shipped you do trade some weight and bulk in your pack for an economic underquilt solution. You get a UQ thats wider & longer than most on the market today, and as a bigger guy, I really came to appreciate that. While laying "in line" with the UQ, it hits me on the sides of the arms if not a little higher, and goes from shoulders to either ankles or just above (hard to tell some times.) and I'm 6ft almost 300lbs. With proper insulation on the feet and a pillow of some kind, im fully covered. I also appreciate that the synthetic material is less sensitive to moisture than down is, being in the south.

SO, on to the break down:

Price: at under $100 shipped, you cant beat the price, especially if you're just getting into hammocking and may not need the lightest.

Weight: at 26oz, its not the lightest on the market. But the lighter the UQ, the more it costs.

Pack size: the 10"x6" pack size is kinda big in the world of UQ's, but then again its the same as weight: the smaller it packs, the more it costs.

Construction: absolutely flawless as far as I have seen.

Suspension: easy to use. at first I thought it would have been too short, but after setting it up and getting it stretched the out there, you end up with a simple way to hang it. you dont even need a biner, but i use little #1 s-biners.

Now, the only "cons" I see are nitpicky or are issues I alone had, and I only bring them up to make a point that no product is perfect.

* the first time I used it I would get a little gap in the bottom of it from time to time, and it would make me almost crawl out of the hammock when I was nice and warm and it chilled my spine! solution: hang it tighter.

* because its not full length, you have to take into consideration something to keep your feet warm. easy fix tho

* the only "real" problem i have is adjusting it by yourself while in it, and only one direction. when you have it close to your head and want to move it down you, its almost impossible to move it without getting out of the hammock. otherwise, just simply shift it side to side or up, just be sure not to go too far up!!!

Also in the order was a pillow that he makes and a set of tarp skins. heres a quick run down of those.

I asked for the pillow to be a little "overstuffed" because i like tall/firm pillows, and he didnt disappoint. theres a paracord (i think) string with a simple knot on it i run up to the suspension at the larks head and just push thru, keeping the pillow in the hammock. im glad its not shockcord, so it wont try to pull it from me!

The skins are a breeze to use, just slide the skin over the tarp and youre golden. theres a pocket on both at the narrow end that lets you roll up your ridgeline and stuff it, but since i still use the stuff sack i let it hang out.

Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    Nice review.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Thanks Rev, I thought that pic looked familiar from this weekends hang. Mac and I truly enjoyed the hang and plan on many more.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    was it difficult to adjust in the WBB or your ENO?
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    slightly more difficult on the WBBB being as you can just reach over to the right, but you can grab the edge of it thru the hammock and move it side to side. to move up in the WBBB just reach out the left side, you can grab the middle of the head end like that. moving down towards feet is semi difficult in both hammocks equally. in the eno you can reach under on both sides, but the WBBB is blocked on the right.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Would you take some care to describe the UQ. Is it rectangular, or tapered at the ends. Are there darts in the fabric? Is there a top and bottom?
    Just how is this UQ equipped for hanging. For example, does it slide on cords sewn into side channels, or does it get positioned by relative tightness of stretch cords on the front and back?

Also: Are there sewn on loops at the corners or anywhere else?

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    haha, ok, ill be doing this from memory so bear with me.

it is a rectangle shape, nice and simple. from what i remember, there is no top and bottom but he does have a label thats directional~ish and that could be an indicator, but both sides are the same i believe.

theres a long loop of shock cord run down channels in the sides for the suspension, and from what Marty told me you just tossed those over the knots on a gathered end hammock. i added small s~biners just to make it simple. the UQ slides fore & aft on this cord.

ill have to look for the loops tho, not sure on that.

• + New Posts