Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Overnight hike, Mt Walsh Queensland Australia

Rising to 703m above sea level in the Wide Bay Burnet hinterland, Mount Walsh National Park is a rugged park with spectacular exposed granite outcrops and cliffs. The “Bluff” area of Mount Walsh, at the park’s northern end, is my destination for this overnight hike a prominent landmark in the Biggenden area.

There are no camping facilities on the park, remote camping is allowed.

My Hammock Gear 20F Burrow, turned up in the post just days before my planned overnight hike. Got to test my new Burrow for the first time. First thing I noticed before I even left home is how much lighter my pack now feels with the Hammock Gear Top Quilt.

I left home at 10am, drove for an hour and a half inland towards Biggenden, Stopped by at the local takeaway store at Biggenden for a Burger and chips.
    Arrived at car park at the entrance to Mt Walsh National Park just before 1pm.

Only a short hike today, but steep and rugged. Plans where to hike up to the rocky out crops just short of the highest peak in the park. With a full pack on, it was to dangerous to continue any higher and I was on my own, this is one very isolated area, which I love. Had the whole park to myself, apart from a couple of french backpackers camping near my vehicle at the car park I encountered on the way back to vehicle the following day, more about them later.

With my Aarn Load Limo body pack, my Warbonnet Hammock, Superfly and 3-season Yeti and my brand new Hammock Gear Burrow and 4 litres of water, I left just on 1pm with a pack weight of 15kg including food and water.

My feet where in slight pain, after my great walk hike at the Sunshine Coast Hinterland a few weeks ago. Apart from the Tick which made be a bit ill. I damaged my toe nails hiking down a steep slope, that just never ended, 6 hours later I finally arrived at camp feeling like I been through a land mine. My toe nails where shot to pieces. ( I need new Boots). Still trying to recuperate from that hike.

Back to Mt Walsh, I slowly but surely made my way up to a suitable location and setup camp. For the first time, i've had a go at making my first video. I didn't realise just how much space the video's take up on my digital camera, in no time my card was full. Was going to video the sunsets and sun rises, instead I've take a few images.

The Burrow Top Quilt was a huge success. Very happy with the quality. although the temp did not get down as low as expected. I used the top quilt as a blanket, as It was to warm with it all snapped up.

I hope you like my first attempt at a video. it was a bit nerve racking, but I got through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE70f0H88gE

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oh yes, I almost forgot, those french backpackers I mentioned.

A very embarrassing moment for them both, as when I returned back to vehicle the following day after a great sleep and wonderful sunrise and sunset overlooking the valley below. They where both naked.

I don't think they cared. as I'm certain they seen me earlier on coming down the mountain.

Turned out to be very friendly, had breakfast with them and told them about the area.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here's a few images I taken at Mt Walsh National Park.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    One of the things I want to do before I die is to visit your continent. Pics are great. Gotta love that hammock gear stuff. I hope your feet recuperate.

Thanks for sharing.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Nice job on the video. Thanks for the trip report and pictures. You have a beautiful country there thanks for sharing.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Hey Phillipsart,

That was a nice video and trip report. Nice looking area you had for the overnight hang. Looking forward to seeing more videos from you.
    Last edited by BLUEFIN 774; 10-03-2011 at 21:54. Reason: spelling
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    That’s a casual hike! lol Leave at ten, stop for a burger, car park at one.

***this is one very isolated area, which I love. Had the whole park to myself

Sounds grrrreat!

A 15 kg pack would kill me! 11.6 is my MAX winter weight.

*** feeling like I been through a land mine.

I’d like to be able to say, I feel your pain, but I don’t! lol

I don’t like it. You live too close and will give me too many ideas, if you keep making videos... keep making them anyway.

Hammock
    Clark nx150
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    where are the pics of the backpackers?????lol

great story and fantastic pics

frankie

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    That’s a casual hike! lol Leave at ten, stop for a burger, car park at one.

***this is one very isolated area, which I love. Had the whole park to myself

Sounds grrrreat!

A 15 kg pack would kill me! 11.6 is my MAX winter weight.

*** feeling like I been through a land mine.

I’d like to be able to say, I feel your pain, but I don’t! lol

I don’t like it. You live too close and will give me too many ideas, if you keep making videos... keep making them anyway.
    Yes, a far cry from my hike a few weeks back. Wanted a easy hike for a change.

My pack weight prior to this hike used to be in excess of 20kg. That was a struggle to carry, but somehow I managed it for 4 weeks around Sydney back in March April of this year.

My feet are more of a problem for me than the pack weight. Blisters are a major problem on my heels, finding hiking shoes that fit me is a impossible task for me, believe me I've tried, spent a lot of dollars on hiking shoes in the past 6 months. I've resorted to finding the closest fit I can find and taking that to the local cobbler for some modifications, so far the boots are still not right, need more work done on those. Right now my priority is getting my feet healed and boots fitted, I don't want to suffer from blisters or pain any more.

The 15kg on my back, felt so much lighter. The 15kg does include food and water, 4 litres of water and 700grams of water. My base weight is 10.3 kg, I don't know how I can get that weight any lower, without spending a fortune. My pack weight is 2.5kg. but it's a very comfy pack, being a Aarn Load Limo.
    There where no weight on my shoulders, I remember at the end of each day while in sydney how sore and tight my shoulders where at the end of the day. Not with the Aarn pack. That pack is so comfy to wear. I think it makes the weight feel lighter than what it is.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by missingdna View Post
    where are the pics of the backpackers?????lol

great story and fantastic pics

frankie
    She was very pretty, you'll have to take my word on that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast