Threaded View

San Diego, CA
    DIY Bridge - Pirogue
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Exped Downmat

My first attempt at a bridge hammock

Hey all, I've been lurking for a while, this is my first post. I've used a Hennesey Expedition Asym for a while now for backpacking, but while browsing this forum I was intrigued by the idea of making a double hammock to use when hiking/camping with my wife. After reading dblhammock's updates on his double bridge hammock, I figured that would probably be the way to go.

Of course, jumping from zero sewing experience and zero bridge hammock experience into a project like that seemed kind of daunting, so I decided to try my hand at a "standard" bridge hammock first. Here's what I've come up so far - the results of my first hang with it.

I've got a little bit of work yet to do - I need to replace the suspension triangles with some better rope, and I need to play with the length of my spreader bars and structural ridgeline to get the lay dialed in. All in all, though, not too bad for a first attempt.

Many thanks to both Grizz and TeeDee for their tutorials on how to go about making a bridge hammock. Hopefully I'll be around more as time goes on, with updates and the like.
    Last edited by Tijereyes; 10-03-2011 at 11:23. Reason: Pics are huge - trying to get the thumbnail effect.