DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Another idea for you...I just modded a cheap ($10) WallyWorld 40-60 degree sleeping bag into a top quilt. Its a bit heavy and bulky (could be cut down significantly for kids I suspect) but if they're not doing a lot of backpacking its cheap top insulation...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    This is a wonderful idea.

For top and bottom insulation, the construction of a poncho liner doesn't seem hard. It's just ripstop nylon with polyester batting, sewn through, and I find (for me) that it's good as both a top quilt and bottom quilt down to about forty degrees with light wind. For most folks, forty-five or fifty is probably a good estimate; I'm a very hot sleeper. They're a little heavy for their rating (22 oz.), but they're cheap as all get-out and dry more quickly than any other sleeping bag I've ever had. And DIYing one (which I'm sure you have the ability to, seeing as you're making the hammocks) would be even cheaper.

Just a thought.

Hammock
    Hennessey 2QZQ Mod2
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Woopies
    Very Nice. After camping in a horse camp in north georgia where the boys were kicking meadow muffins out of the way to set up their ground dwelling stations and I was chilling in my hennessy watching with sadistic glee, Bassmaster and I had the venture scouts over and I taught them to sew so they made the whole thing. You should have seen these macho 16-17year olds sewing on my free to me pink sewing machine. We had a blast. Even made woopie slings. I love lightning up the loads theses scouts carry. Then they are more likely to want to camp.

Hammock
    Hennessey 2QZQ Mod2
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Woopies
    We didn't make tarps but total cost with the woopies was $25per boy. I think my ripstop was more expensive.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TuckE View Post
    We didn't make tarps but total cost with the woopies was $25per boy. I think my ripstop was more expensive.
    But $25 with whoopies is pretty good! my guys arent ready for whoopies...yet! Be a good upgrade at some point!

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Underquilts

Some of you have replied with some simple underquilt solutions so I thought I would post what I sent to BigBogg regarding my idea for this.

Bigbogg

Yeah! no problem! They are nothing really special, but will work down to probably 40 degrees (I used one this low) alone or a good bit lower with a pad. The ones I have made were from a kids sleeping bag from bass pro shops (http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...t/50464/104811) but any smaller rectangular sleeping bag will work. Open the bag up completely, sew a grosgrain loop onto each of the 4 corners. On each end I make a channel by, heating a needle and burning a hole on each side and run a piece of shock cord through so that the end can be gathered. (see pics) I then attach a loop of shock cord to each end from one grosgrain loop to the other. Attach a mini carabiner to the loop and clip it to the suspension at the head and foot end of the hammock. Then cinch up the ends to close off the air gaps. I also found it was hard to really get this one to pull up tight, so halfway down each side edge I attached another grosgrain loop. Then tied a length of shock cord that I could pull up over the ridgeline and using another mini biner attach to the loop on the other side. This really helped to pull it up and keep you warm.

If this is all clear as mud, let me know and i will get some better pictures. That one picture that shows the end cinched up is of one of the first ones i made like that, and i did alot of extra work that ended up being worse than not doing it! So now i dont modify the body of the bag at all, just grosgrain loops and cinch up the ends!

Edit: These weigh about 22oz, so about the same as the poncho liner stated above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by harrell79cj5; 10-04-2011 at 15:09. Reason: add weight

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    our scouts saw mine about 3 years ago at summer camp. the trading post had them for 20 bucks so a bunch of them bought them my son included, they are parachute nylon and hold 350lbs a bit short for a tall adult but a sturdy hammock. i thought it may be a bunch of old grand trunk hammocks as they just say travel hammock on them.here is a link they are up to 24 dollars now .this company supplies stuff for camps/trading posts to sell;..http://paulssupplies.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=454 one by one they are bringing them to camp outs to try and asking questions..i think they might be on to something. TRAV. sorry posted in the wrong thread ....i think that you have a good thing going there and they get the hands on experience as well good job!
    Last edited by TRAVELER; 10-04-2011 at 20:51.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12