Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Boy Scout Hammock/Tarp Kits $32

I have been making these hammock/tarp kits for our scouts to get them into hammock camping. Cheap is the name of the game with most scouts/parents. It does take me a little work (ok, a good bit of work) to get them together, but is inexpensive for the scouts and they still get a sense of making parts of it themselves. I made hammock kits first. I took 1.9oz nylon from Hancock and hemed all of the edges leaving a channel on the ends. I then bought these tie down straps from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...aps-67386.html). I cut the buckle off about a foot down and then sew it back to make a loop then I sew a loop on one end of the long strap I just cut off. The scouts then thread 1/8" rope through the channel and whip it per Knotty's instructions. They then larks head the buckle portion onto the hammock. Wrap the long webbing with the loop in the end around the tree and back through the loop and then feed the loose end through the buckle. The buckle then is the adjustment. And then add a length of 3/16" - 7/32" poly rope for a ridgeline. These kits cost $20 for the parts and weigh about 13-15oz.

Recently I bought a roll of tyvec and a roll of tyvec tape and we started making tarps last week and will finish them this week. we can make 15 - 10ft X 9ft tarps out of the roll. I am not sure of a total weight yet, but I saw where someone estimated tyvec at around 1.9oz/sq yd. So that would be around 19 oz per tarp and they each cost about $12.

So for $32 they have a hammock and tarp that they helped build! The hammocks can be easily upgraded with different suspensions and such as they are just basic whipped end hammocks.

Most of them will be using pads for insulation right now, but i also have plans where they can make underquilts for under $20 each. We will see a little later how much interest there is in that.

I will try to get some pictures tonight and post them.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Worthy DIY, Maestro! Nice set up for someone just testing the water also.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A very admirable job!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    nice job. I hope they appreciate you.
    I'm not sure what you have in mind for quilts but I find the poncho liners quite interesting. If you don't have one you may find it worth getting one for a start of what you need. I have no idea what kind of deal one can get on a bunch of them.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    You sir, need to live closer to me, hehe.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250,Original Hennessy,WBBB
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Images
    It's always nice to see someone doing what they can to get kids interested in scouting. Can you work up a simple set of plans/instructions for these kits? I think I could get a few people interested around here in helping the scouts too.

Keep up the excellent work!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    You are my hero of the month!

What a great thing to do for Scouts and the hammock community.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by harrell79cj5 View Post
    They then larks head the buckle portion onto the hammock. Wrap the long webbing with the loop in the end around the tree and back through the loop and then feed the loose end through the buckle. The buckle then is the adjustment. .
    I really like the idea of using the buckle for adjustment as it will be easy for kids to set up there own hammocks. Will these buckles hold up over time to the abuse of kids in there hammocks? I have been asked to come in and give a talk to our local scout troop about making and using hammocks and I think the buckle might be the answer to simplicity for them. Good job, looking forward to pics.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH61 View Post
    It's always nice to see someone doing what they can to get kids interested in scouting. Can you work up a simple set of plans/instructions for these kits? I think I could get a few people interested around here in helping the scouts too.

Keep up the excellent work!
    Yeah, I can probably work up something wih a few pictures to get a little better idea and something to pass along. The biggest thing is that it takes some time for someone to hem the edges and fix the straps. I have done about 17 so far and have at least a couple more to do. If you can get a few people who sew to do one or two it kinda takes the load off some.

Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    I really like the idea of using the buckle for adjustment as it will be easy for kids to set up there own hammocks. Will these buckles hold up over time to the abuse of kids in there hammocks? I have been asked to come in and give a talk to our local scout troop about making and using hammocks and I think the buckle might be the answer to simplicity for them. Good job, looking forward to pics.
    I figured someone would wonder about this as the load rating on the tie down straps is not very high. I actually used this same system on my own hammock for a year or better. They held up just fine and I was 220lbs and using them wrong! (I was pulling them as tight as I could instead of using the 30 degree rule, which puts alot more stress on them) I only saw some wear where the abrassive part of the buckle was on the strap, and it was not enough to make me worry. My wife was using the same straps and her's had almost no wear, guessing it was because of the lighter weight. I will try to get some pics and stuff together soon.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thank you all for the kind words! My scoutmasters growing up gave alot, and I didn't realize how much until later in life. I just want to give some back. Also, anyone who works with scouts knows just how rewarding it is to see how much these guys really get from the scouting program. Most of the time, just like myself, they dont realize it until later in life!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast