5 29.41%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    JRB all around
    Hmm, going out in the woods with a bunch of strangers found on the internet. Sounds like fun! Count me in for at least one night. Could do either.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VegdOut View Post
    Hmm, going out in the woods with a bunch of strangers found on the internet. Sounds like fun! Count me in for at least one night. Could do either.
    VegdOut

It is indeed great fun to meet a bunch of strangers out in the piney woods. However when you go to explain this point to your spouse or others, they may raise an eyebrow at the thought of going camping with total strangers.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    JRB all around
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    VegdOut

It is indeed great fun to meet a bunch of strangers out in the piney woods. However when you go to explain this point to your spouse or others, they may raise an eyebrow at the thought of going camping with total strangers.

Cheers

Brian
    Oh, I see, first you invite me out into the piney woods and now you don't want me to tell anyone! My parents warned me about you

I'm going to search through the trip reports and if I see any mention of axe-murderings then I'm out!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7dbl
    Tarp
    Chinook 14x12
    Insulation
    Shamu IX
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'll definately try to make it. If we could get the final word on which weekend, I'll be able to book off the time with more ease.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings Everyone

I think it is fair to say at this point, that the majority of people would favour going the second weekend, October 21-23. So that is what we shall do.

At less than 2 weeks away, that should give everyone enough time to book time off or negotiate with spouses for some piney woods time.

Based on past experiences camping at Valens, here are a couple things we will need that are not available at the camp site.

1) Fire wood. Valens does sell it but, according to sources, it is essentially cut up skids/pallets. So if you have access to good firewood, consider bringing some out.
    2) Grill/grate for cooking at the camp site fire pit

If any of those that are coming out want to work on group meals or anything special, now is the time to do so.

I will PM everyone the site number I plan to get in the week leading up to the hang.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I'll let you guys know if my plans for that weekend change and I'm available. Not being a winter camping fan I'll have to wait till next year to make it out otherwise.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    I'll let you guys know if my plans for that weekend change and I'm available. Not being a winter camping fan I'll have to wait till next year to make it out otherwise.
    Hey Keg

Hopefully you can make it out. As for not being a winter camping fan, I can understand that. However winter camping has many advantages to camping in the other seasons. It just takes a little more prep work, proper gear and a little more skill.

Before this past winter, I had never winter camped either. So I took a course and got appropriate gear for the occasion and had a great time at the course and the subsequent 2 winters hangs from last winter.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Greetings Everyone

I think it is fair to say at this point, that the majority of people would favour going the second weekend, October 21-23. So that is what we shall do.

At less than 2 weeks away, that should give everyone enough time to book time off or negotiate with spouses for some piney woods time.

Based on past experiences camping at Valens, here are a couple things we will need that are not available at the camp site.

1) Fire wood. Valens does sell it but, according to sources, it is essentially cut up skids/pallets. So if you have access to good firewood, consider bringing some out.
    2) Grill/grate for cooking at the camp site fire pit

If any of those that are coming out want to work on group meals or anything special, now is the time to do so.

I will PM everyone the site number I plan to get in the week leading up to the hang.

Cheers

Brian
    Based on the historic average temperature for the region and the 14 day trend, Oct 21-23 is looking like a fairly comfortable choice, Sunny through the weekend with a cloud or two on Sunday, Average high of 14c with a low somewhere around 5c. Shouldn’t be too uncomfortable for anyone new to the colder seasons but you're car camping so bring additional gear and extra layers (you won’t have to carry it!).

Not a good idea to transport firewood more than a couple of kilometers, we bought wood at Valens a couple of weeks ago and didn’t have any issues with (they may have switched suppliers, nice hardwood). Another option is the TSC in Cambridge, about 10 mins down the road from Valens.

Hate to miss a hang so close to home but I maxed out on 12 trips this year, I’ve been informed that 13 will put me in the dog house and my hammock in the oven @ 450 for 30 mins (flipped at halftime) !
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    Not a good idea to transport firewood more than a couple of kilometers, we bought wood at Valens a couple of weeks ago and didn’t have any issues with (they may have switched suppliers, nice hardwood). Another option is the TSC in Cambridge, about 10 mins down the road from Valens.

Hate to miss a hang so close to home but I maxed out on 12 trips this year, I’ve been informed that 13 will put me in the dog house and my hammock in the oven @ 450 for 30 mins (flipped at halftime) !
    Thanks for the update on the firewood situation, [o]TTeR. That wife of yours certainly hits below the belt with threatening to roast your hammock. You should make her a hammock and quilt set and drag her out with the kids and yourself. It might keep the peace in the [o]TTeR household.

I guess you'll be crossing off days on the calendar until winter hanging season starts in January.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Bump

Just a quick bump to this thread, in case there are more local people to this particular hang that haven't seen it as of yet.

For those in the Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Brantford/Cambridge or Hamilton area, that haven't been out for a group hang, this would be a great time to get out and meet some of the local hangers from HammockForums.

For those that are not winter camping equipped, this will likely be last chance to get out before the weather turns too cold for your gear.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast