Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting ticked!

Getting ticked!

Man, i sure love the comfort, speed, and weight of my HH, but the rain tarp is killing me here! i've had my HH for just over a week and i'm already have troubles!

Problems:
    my rain tarp keeps sagging so bad and doesn't completely cover the hammocks, especially by my face.
    I've tried tying it tighter, making different angles, and hanging weights from it to keep it tightend...nothing is working...

then to make matters worse...i woke up last night in a bit of rain:confused, wet, and cold...the plastic hooks on the rain tarp that hook onto the main support line broke! Both of them...both sides!

i'm so frustrated!
    This is the day that the Lord has made-let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Attach the tarp to the trees, not the hammock. Tie to the trees below where the hammock tree huggers will wrap around the tree. Be sure you have the tarp turned the right direction; the stock tarp is asymmetrical as is the hammock. If all else fails, get a bigger tarp.

Understand your frustration. An idea:

Replace the cord that connects the fly to the main hammock line with bungee cord. Make a loop of light bungee cord, tie it in a prusik knot, and use a good quality mini-biner to connect to the fly. When pitching the hammock, tighten the bungee cord, which will take up the slack when you get inside.

This has worked pretty well for me. The stock tarp is still a little small, but for warm-season use it's not bad. I'd still like to get a Maccat Deluxe for better coverage.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Very few people on this forum continue to use the stock HH tarp for any length of time. The coverage is minimal, at best, and it's normal attachment method is designed to sag so that the coverage is maintained when the hammock itself sags.

To end your frustration, just get yourself a new tarp with more coverage. I suggest a MacCat Deluxe to use with a HH.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    Attach the tarp to the trees, not the hammock. Tie to the trees below where the hammock tree huggers will wrap around the tree. Be sure you have the tarp turned the right direction; the stock tarp is asymmetrical as is the hammock. If all else fails, get a bigger tarp.
    Why wouldn't you tie the tarp higher than the hammock supports? I can't figure it.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    Why wouldn't you tie the tarp higher than the hammock supports? I can't figure it.
    You want the ridge of the tarp to be as close to the ridgeline of the HH as possible to offer the most coverage. Given that you'll get some sage from the hammock when you get in it, placing the tarp supports below the hammock supports on the tree helps get the tarp as low as possible.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I want my tarp well above my ridgeline...it sags when it gets wet and I don't want it touching the mesh and wicking down on me...I tied my Hennessy tarp just above the tree huggers and definitely did not keep it connected to the hammock....

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

a

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    You want the ridge of the tarp to be as close to the ridgeline of the HH as possible to offer the most coverage. Given that you'll get some sage from the hammock when you get in it, placing the tarp supports below the hammock supports on the tree helps get the tarp as low as possible.
    Has anyone else gotten sage from their hammocks? I'm going to call Tom and tell him mine isn't producing any. If I would have known to look for it, some fried sage would have been good on the trail with dinner.

Just kidding man, I'm bad like that.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledgeengine View Post
    Just kidding man, I'm bad like that.

As often as I point out misspelled words, I really should be called out for typos. Thanks.

Tom at HH should be willing to swap out the larger hammock for the smaller one. I have the larger tarp and its a BIG improvement.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast