OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's

My into to the HF, and my first DIY tarp

So I have been lurking around her for a while now, and have learned a lot of great things when it comes to hanging. I was in an REI not to long ago, and there was one HH expedition A-sym in all of the ENO hammocks. It was on sale and It was within my weight range. Since that day I have loved every night in the woods in my hammock. Most of my camping was done over this past summer and the stock tarp did it's job…..but I'm one of those guys that likes to build things, all sorts of things. After many hours of searching and reading I decided I was ready to make my own tarp. I borrowed my mother's Kenmore 1410 model thread injector, took the lead of some other forum members and put a few Ideas together. I oped for a cam poly tarp from the Wmart so If I completely botched it I would only be out 15 bucks. Got some nylon upholstery thread to accommodate the material, and some nylon strapping for the tie outs. I used a modified version of a pattern that was posted here by a forum member who's name i just can't remember right now. I give him all credit on the pattern, and I apologize that I can't remember whom you are at this time.

I got out the user manual and after several hours of oiling, and finding all the pieces , as the machine hasn't been used in probably 20 years or more. I had the first bobbin wound. Now I will preface this by saying I have never sewn anything ever, and there was a bit of a learning curve, but I enjoyed the challenge of learning something new. There were quite a few trial and error, and moments of cursing aloud. In the end I think I did ok. I got the tarp cut, hemmed, and tie outs on in a few nights of work every night when I got home from work.

The tarp came out to be roughly 10X12 with cat cuts on the edges to help reduce the weight of the poly tarp, and to help with the tautness of the pitch. I do understand that without the ridge line having a cat cut, it is not a true "cat cut" tarp. I do believe it will serve my purposes for now however, as well as along other than A-frame type pitches. I also make a bag and tarp sleeve out of the poly material as well.

I took quite a few pictures along the way just for documentation sake, so i figured it was about time I stopped lurking and start participating. So here is the link to my album that contains all the pics of construction, and pitching it for for the first few times. Comments and critique are welcome. I will use this experience as well as any comments on the work when I make a lighter weight silnylon version.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1002403...eat=directlink
    Last edited by Orion X; 10-04-2011 at 21:27.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Very nice tarp. just out of curiosity.......whats the weight?
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk single
    Tarp
    Hay cover
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Beautiful work! It sure doesn't look like a first time sewing adventure.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    Cruzin, I don't have a scale to measure the weight properly, but it's a little lighter than my hammock and suspension, so i would guess about two pounds or a little under including the stakes, figure nines, and line, not ultralight, but them neither am I.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    Thanks for the kind words Sweetmusic, it was most assuredly a learning experience.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That's a FINE looking tarp! I'm glad you had the guts to just put your head down and charge ahead. That's really the only way to learn. When I started making my own gear, I had no experience, no clue and no sewing coach - but, I had FUN!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Welcome to HF from Bama..............nice looking tarp.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion X View Post
    Cruzin, I don't have a scale to measure the weight properly, but it's a little lighter than my hammock and suspension, so i would guess about two pounds or a little under including the stakes, figure nines, and line, not ultralight, but them neither am I.
    hey for a WM poly tarp 2lbs is not bad
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    That's a FINE looking tarp! I'm glad you had the guts to just put your head down and charge ahead. That's really the only way to learn. When I started making my own gear, I had no experience, no clue and no sewing coach - but, I had FUN!
    No truer words have been spoken. I have learned when I get an idea in my head to make something happen, it does eventually. I have also built several alky stoves, and when i get everything together a DIY hammock i'm going to give that a whirl.

As far as the weight I will see if I can't find a scale tomorrow to get a better gauge on it. I'm going to see hiking buddy tomorrow to check out his new maccat deluxe, and show off my new piece of gear.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Your well on your way to becoming a DIY addict.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts