Newbie DIY Hammock

I want to get into hammocks on the cheap, and have been looking at some good DIY options. Here's what I'm looking at with an integrated underquilt:

• 1.9oz ripstop, 115" by 60" as the main hammock body
    • Structural ridgeline
    • 1" polypro webbing, lark's head-ed onto the hammock bindings and 4-wrapped to the tree
    • 50" by 70" undercover of 1.1oz DWR ripstop, with "darts" along all 4 sides to create a loft cavity
    • 13 ounces of 800fp down, providing 3" of loft.

To get started, I'm going to use my 20 degree bag as a top quilt.

A few questions I have:

1. Do I need baffles to keep the down in place or will it loft on its own?
    2. If I need baffles, horizontal or lengthwise?
    3. Also, what's a good, dry, inexpensive tarp option to get started? I'm willing to make it myself.
    4. What's the best way to utilize noseeum bugnetting over my hammock?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you have a solid plan.

1. The baffels help to keep the down in place, without them down does like everything else affected by gravity, falls down.
    2. Either way, although the general concensus is that lengthwise has shallower angle and therefore less down falling.
    3. If you want a Silnylon tarp, then you have lots of great options depending upon you budget. You can DIY a good sized tarp for under $50 or even pick up a PU coated for under $40.
    4. For bugnet there are several ways to utilize nanoseeum. Depends on if you want removable or permantly attached, 360* coverage or just top coverage, resist heavy wind or just a light breeze, I use a corner weighted removable bugnet myself figuring that any wind strong enough to defeat it will blow the bugs away as well.

Good luck on your projects and follow our one simple rule, pics or it didn't happen.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Thanks for the info. Nanoseeum baffles it is then! For the bugnet, just light wind and only top coverage, not permanent. Would velcro be a viable option for the netting to attach?

I'll post pics, but this project may be a long way off. I'm a Boyscout, so it's advancement incentive.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Something to consider for the bugnet : http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=39983

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forums from west Texas!

Interesting project ideal. I will look forward to seeing how it turns out for you.

Be warned, DIY projects around here become addictive.

Images
    I'd also seriously consider the underquilt being separate. I know its a bit more but then the hammock is more versatile. You don't always have the warmth, which is good when its hot out...

There are days up here when I don't want bottom heat, I'm sure the same applies for your home area.

Finally working on the down UQ will be easier without it being attached to the hammock. The UQ is going to be bulky enough to work on as it is, without adding more fabric.
    So many projects, So little time....

I'd also seriously consider the underquilt being separate. I know its a bit more but then the hammock is more versatile. You don't always have the warmth, which is good when its hot out...

There are days up here when I don't want bottom heat, I'm sure the same applies for your home area.

Finally working on the down UQ will be easier without it being attached to the hammock. The UQ is going to be bulky enough to work on as it is, without adding more fabric.
    I've been thinking about that, and it's probably the way i'm going to make it. So what is the material of choice for underquilts? DWR for the outside, nanoseeum for baffles, can the inner fabric be DWR as well?

Images
    Well you've asked a much discussed question.

Personally, I'd either make it from something totally waterproof, or something completely not, inside and out,

For your first attempt I'd suggest light weight ripstop nylon, or nylon taffeta, and a synthetic batt type insulation. Not the lightest, but cheaper and easier to work with than down and no pesky baffles to sew.

I'm sure others will point you at threads on discussions of this and VB's and all sorts of other thoughts.

If you're really concerned about moisture, and weight and very cold weather camping , but not so much about cost, then I'd try cuben on the inside and either DWR or cuben on the outside.

But me, I'm going to use inexpensive commercial down bags for both TQ and UQ... Look up a MEC Cygnet if you want to see the exact bags I plan on using. (I laready use one as a TQ.) Have done various experiements with pads etc for under warmth....
    Last edited by Rapt; 10-06-2011 at 12:33. Reason: Added my sleeping bag plan
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    You are brave. I thought about starting with a DIY hammock as my first but then decided I liked the Clarks better than anything I could put together for myself. Best of luck.

• + New Posts