Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pictured Rocks Info

Is anyone pretty familiar with Pictured Rocks (U.P. Michigan)? This weekend is looking absolutely perfect to make my weekend trip up there as the whole upper midwest is bathed in indian summer. Since you need to make reservations 2 weeks in advance, I'd be going to whatever sites are available (back up plan is nearby grand island, where dispersed camping is allowed, so no worries about running out of sites there!). Just wondering what are the chances of the place being full- I asked the visitor's center last friday what was available for saturday night, and only one site was full... but no guarantees is all they said. Like I said I have a perfectly workable backup plan so it's not do or die, I've just been looking at photos of the place and it seems like it's really something special, I don't want to get my hopes too high if it's likely to be full with all the nice weather we're supposed to have. Just looking for insight from someone with experience I guess!

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    if you can get in that would be nice. for the prime areas at pictured rocks, mosquito or chapel are great. just about anywhere in mosquito will be fine for 2 or so hammocks. campsites 1-3 at chapel will support 2. campsite 4 will hang 3-4 and is the best of the 6 there with 5 not open. 6 is more in the open and can support 3 or so.

the coves is tucked back pretty nice and has many spots that will hold 2-3 at each site.

beaver creek will support 2-3 hammocks at sites 3-6, sites 1,2 will hold 2 hammocks but are upfront so you take more of the wind.

i assume these are the areas you'd be looking at as your post suggest you want to stay near the west end of the park.

if you went to the porkies you don't have to worry about reservations and i'm sure LOC's view would be really nice right now and is a shorter drive.

just be catious of the 15' rule to the site post - i was about 20' from one and the guy was on the fence about cutting me a ticket. our 'paces' were a little different. i argued you don't proved a reference at sites so how am i to know what 15' is. you're also allowed 3 hammocks per 1 site as opposed to 2 tents 4 people.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Thanks, I really appreciate the info. I have been to the porkies when I was a kid, it's really an amazing place... about an hour further from where I'm coming from though (green bay area). I'll probably call again on friday (expecting to get the same answer). I'm OK staying at any of the sites you mentioned, since it's either going to be just me or me and 2 friends in a single tent. All the sites you mentioned would be in my hiking distance for a day, so again I really appreciate the insight on those (especially about the rangers )

I definitely wouldnt mind going to the porkies, not having been there in probably close to 18 years. Are the trails pretty well marked?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slings/Buckles
    I was just in the Porkies in August. The trails are are well marked except for maybe the Mirror Lake Trail from Lake Of The Clouds south. The huge climb on that trail isn't marked very well, but you really can't miss where you're going. It's up, up, and up! I did about 27 miles while I was there, very scenic and fun.
    "Workin' on mysteries without any clues" - Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    if you can get in that would be nice. for the prime areas at pictured rocks, mosquito or chapel are great. just about anywhere in mosquito will be fine for 2 or so hammocks. campsites 1-3 at chapel will support 2. campsite 4 will hang 3-4 and is the best of the 6 there with 5 not open. 6 is more in the open and can support 3 or so.

the coves is tucked back pretty nice and has many spots that will hold 2-3 at each site.

beaver creek will support 2-3 hammocks at sites 3-6, sites 1,2 will hold 2 hammocks but are upfront so you take more of the wind.

i assume these are the areas you'd be looking at as your post suggest you want to stay near the west end of the park.

if you went to the porkies you don't have to worry about reservations and i'm sure LOC's view would be really nice right now and is a shorter drive.

just be catious of the 15' rule to the site post - i was about 20' from one and the guy was on the fence about cutting me a ticket. our 'paces' were a little different. i argued you don't proved a reference at sites so how am i to know what 15' is. you're also allowed 3 hammocks per 1 site as opposed to 2 tents 4 people.
    I know this is an old post, but I'm heading up there the first week of June. How's the hanging at Au Sable Point East and Seven Mile?

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It sounds like you already have a backup plan, I would go to the park office in Munsing, and see what you can get. Be flexible, and you will find something that will owrk out for you on PR. I was there two summers ago, they overbooked a couple of sites, so we just camped where we could in area (at campground, just not in a proper site). If you wnat the most "bang for your buck" (See views) I would as BG suggested look around the Chapel Falls/Mosquito Beach area. Very nice loop hike. Good luck!
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Yeah, looks like I'm shooting for Mosquito / Chapel! Planning to do a decent amount of photography so the views are a plus. Coves is a bit on the far side but I think I'd be up for it. If I do end up on grand island, I'll be bike camping, so I should have no problems getting around the whole island. Thanks for the advice all!

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranal View Post
    Yeah, looks like I'm shooting for Mosquito / Chapel! Planning to do a decent amount of photography so the views are a plus. Coves is a bit on the far side but I think I'd be up for it. If I do end up on grand island, I'll be bike camping, so I should have no problems getting around the whole island. Thanks for the advice all!
    the coves are an easy walk if you park at beaver creek trail head which is a dirt road off H58, it's about another 30min drive though from chapel trail head.

little beaver lake is pretty nice and many don't visit it so if you were to do that with the coves you're looking at under a mile between them.

you also have the huron mountain range just west of downtown marquette which is nice but the trails are a little more aggressive.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    you also have the huron mountain range just west of downtown marquette which is nice but the trails are a little more aggressive.
    Technically the Huron Mountain are to the North of MQT, but I'll let that one slide. There is some good hiking out there, Sugarloaf Mountain, just north of MQT can be brutal. Little Presque Isle is a nice area.

Or there is this to the west of Neguanee.....
    http://www.foyeins.com/mccormicktract/Maps.htm
    Trailless area, great for bushwhaking!

Or if yor really want an adventure you can try the Trap Hills at the west end of the UP.....
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/pwf/traphills.htm
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Quote Originally Posted by stonehooligan View Post
    Technically the Huron Mountain are to the North of MQT, but I'll let that one slide. There is some good hiking out there, Sugarloaf Mountain, just north of MQT can be brutal. Little Presque Isle is a nice area.

Or there is this to the west of Neguanee.....
    http://www.foyeins.com/mccormicktract/Maps.htm
    Trailless area, great for bushwhaking!

Or if yor really want an adventure you can try the Trap Hills at the west end of the UP.....
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/pwf/traphills.htm
    Went up to Sugarloaf as kids, too... amazing place. Thanks for the other links, those places look incredible! Being relatively new to these forums I'm constantly blown away by how helpful, knowledgeable and friendly everyone is. hope I'm able to repay that back soon!

• + New Posts