Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie all in 1
    Posts
    824

    VIDEO: Gorges State Park, NC Trip Report

    It was all that I hoped for and more...

    I woke up way too early Saturday October the 1st, 2011. I tried to get back to sleep, but to no avail. So, after a half a pot of coffee and two hours of anticipation, I left my house for the two hour drive at 4 A.M.

    The lack of sleep caught up with me as I was arriving at the parking area on Frozen Creek Road, so I decided to take a nap in the car... Best idea I ever had!!!

    After an 1.5 hour nap I hit the Cane Break trail for what would be 6.25 miles of hiking on Saturday. The temperatures were in the mid to upper 40's for the start of the hike a nd rising into the 50's by the finish. The trail was very easy to follow along an old logging road and mostly downhill going in.

    I took the last campsite along the northeastern tip of Lake Jocassee before the Foothills Trail exits the Park heading for Table Rock State in Greenville, SC. This campsite was the stuff that campers dream of and I was treated to a "Gorgeous" Sunset!!!




    Sunday Morning I woke up around 8:30 A.M. had breakfast and Coffee. I then slowly packed up before hitting the trail for the 5.75 mile hike back to my car around 11 A.M.

    Photos: http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0Park%20%20NC/

    Slideshow of sunset:



    Video Part 1:



    Part 2:


    Youtube channel

    Show of Life Blog

    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

  2. #2
    Triggerhpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Big Bear City Ca.
    Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    Gear guide 12x12
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Posts
    654
    Images
    7
    Wow thanks for that trip report. Two big for your vids and pics.
    Beautiful coutry you hike in.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

  3. #3
    STinGa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgia, ^ of Atlanta
    Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Posts
    1,144
    Images
    9

    Nice post

    Thanks for the trip report. I'm always on the lookout for someplace to spend a 3 or 4 day weekend trip.

    STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

    Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

  4. #4
    Bruciehi5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia, Brisbane, Queensland
    Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Posts
    746
    Well set up trail, with the walking stick storage thing at the start of the walk. We ainít got dhem ere! No wonder you were enjoying that little spot. Nice, big, wide, open river! VERY nice set up too! The fire and the last of the sun going down at the end of part one was what itís all about! That would have been a great place to watch the sun go down! From the hammock too!You looked like you had slept really well. I have found that some walks, with not that much to see along the way, just seem to have a special something about them that make them really enjoyable. That looks like one of those places that is a great place to walk just for the sake of walking. Rejuvenating.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Durham NC
    Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie n' Huggers
    Posts
    26
    Nice!! Myself and a couple of buddies are headed that way next week! Thanks for the report... NOW how am I going to focus at work?!?! *chomps at the bit*

  6. #6
    Senior Member Hangin' Burrito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In the North Carolina mountains!
    Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    1,414
    Really nice trip report Jeremy. What a nice way to wake up and enjoy a cup o' joe to.
    It's those special spots that we find to camp at that keep us longing for more trails to explore, amen?
    See ya' in a couple of weeks, my friend!

    Hangin' Burrito
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

    "Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

  7. #7
    Old Gorge Rat Hawk-eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Posts
    10,099
    Images
    3
    Jeremy that was a great way to spend the weekend! Thanks for sharing that trip with us in video and photo. Really enjoyed it.

    WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.


    "A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin


    Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream


    Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

  8. #8
    Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie all in 1
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    Wow thanks for that trip report. Two big for your vids and pics.
    Beautiful coutry you hike in.
    Thank you... I now believe in "love at first hike"

    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Thanks for the trip report. I'm always on the lookout for someplace to spend a 3 or 4 day weekend trip.

    STinGa
    You could do a loop by connecting the Canebreak Foothills and Auger Hole trails. You could spend a few days doing that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Well set up trail, with the walking stick storage thing at the start of the walk. We ainít got dhem ere! No wonder you were enjoying that little spot. Nice, big, wide, open river! VERY nice set up too! The fire and the last of the sun going down at the end of part one was what itís all about! That would have been a great place to watch the sun go down! From the hammock too!You looked like you had slept really well. I have found that some walks, with not that much to see along the way, just seem to have a special something about them that make them really enjoyable. That looks like one of those places that is a great place to walk just for the sake of walking. Rejuvenating.
    It was very Rejuvenating

    !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stompyd View Post
    Nice!! Myself and a couple of buddies are headed that way next week! Thanks for the report... NOW how am I going to focus at work?!?! *chomps at the bit*
    You'll have a blast... Looking forward to seeing what you guys do!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    Really nice trip report Jeremy. What a nice way to wake up and enjoy a cup o' joe to.
    It's those special spots that we find to camp at that keep us longing for more trails to explore, amen?
    See ya' in a couple of weeks, my friend!

    Hangin' Burrito
    You got that right. Finding sites like that definitely keeps me looking to get out more and more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Jeremy that was a great way to spend the weekend! Thanks for sharing that trip with us in video and photo. Really enjoyed it.
    Thanks! See ya in a few weeks!
    Youtube channel

    Show of Life Blog

    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

  9. #9
    Senior Member MrTiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NO*GAS, NC
    Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    Posts
    768
    good stuff. thanks for sharing.

  10. #10
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    10,762
    Images
    319
    I had to look to see were Gorges State Park, NC is located. I've not been there but I've done a few trips just north of there in Panther Town Valley.
    Nice looking area there.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Similar Threads

  1. High point state park trip report!
    By Jshep420 in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 20:35
  2. The Gorges State Park - in Winter
    By Theosus in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 01:18
  3. Gorges State Park
    By Theosus in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 14:00
  4. Trip Report: Burlingame State Park, RI
    By raiffnuke in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 16:57
  5. Trip report, Stone Mountain State Park, NC
    By NCPatrick in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 12:43

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •