Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator

WBBB or HHDJ... Dilemma

Hi all, I am new to the forum, new to the idea of hammock camping. Even ultralight is a relatively new concept here in south eastern Australia I believe. It usually means tarp and bivy bag. I am not keen on the creepy crawlies, deadly spiders and snakes crawling over/in my sleeping bag, just a bit too hardcore for me. That's probably the reason why I prefer snow camping in winter as it is soft to lie on, bug free, can sit up when putting boots on or off with the help of a snow trench at the vestibule. I am a big fan of Exped products and came across some reviews of the Exped Multimat using it as insulation for hammock camping. One thing led to another and I came across Hennessy Hammocks as the recommended. Then I came across this forum, read a lot more and it pointed me to Warbonnet by Brandon.

I have already read a lot and seen a lot of YouTube videos and I think I have narrowed it down to either a HH Deep Jungle XL or a Double Layer 1.1 WBBB. I would also need a tarp and also tossing up whether I would need a hex tarp despite what everyone seems to be advising. I like the simplicity of less stuff to peg out and quick to setup. So in the tarp department, either stick with the DJ stock diamond tarp or Brandon's diamond tarp, or go all out on the 30d hex from HH or the Superfly by Warbonnet. I intend to use my existing mats as under insulation, from Exped Multimat, cheap ccf mats, thermarests or even my Exped Downmat 7 which I love. I am a cold sleeper and I can't see myself using the hammock in the snow, the Downmat 7 on top of ccf is awesomely warm. I also love using the Exped Dreamwalker650 sleeping bag which you can wear and walk around. I have seen a review of someone wearing the Dreamwalker and using it in a hammock and commenting how easy it is to get into (since he was already wearing it).

Money and weight are factors but I want a good investment. I don't want it too heavy but I am not an ultralight freak (yet) neither.

I am also concerned about this foot/calf cramp issue everyone seems to be reporting. I have a screwed up back and camping does screw up my back. The Downmats were/are a godsend, so is Exped's inflatable pillow.

So what should I get, they seem to be very similar. I have posted in WBBB section as it seems most have moved from HH to WB and therefore can compare. I have also read about ChrisH's reversal conversion.

Please advice this noob

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, SWANK-E. I have a Hennessy Expedition with no complaints. Keep us posted on what you choose. I've had my eye on both hammocks, but I want to see them in the field before I purchase. The group hangs sound like a great opportunity to compare gear and figure out what you like.

I have had one calf cramp in a hammock. I posted what I thought was a humorous account of it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38820

I was somewhat surprised to find it was something that others have experienced, especially the left calf. I thought (and I still hope) what I experienced was a one-off.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images

I have both

I've got both the HH Deep Jungle and WWBB 1.1 dbl. My preference is for the WW - the footbox helps me sleep a little more comfortably. But either one would do you proud.

sky
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyclad View Post
    I've got both the HH Deep Jungle and WWBB 1.1 dbl. My preference is for the WW - the footbox helps me sleep a little more comfortably. But either one would do you proud.

sky
    I'm glad you are enjoying that Blackbird Sky.. I have tried a bunch of Hammocks out over the last few months. I have been buying and selling off the forums. I've tried the HH Expidition, the Blackbird 1.1, the Clark NX-250, and the Eno Doublenest. I ultimately chose the Bear Mountian bridge from Jacks R Better. However through all the trial and error, the Superfly remains the best tarp I have seen.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SWANK-E View Post

I am also concerned about this foot/calf cramp issue everyone seems to be reporting. I have a screwed up back and camping does screw up my back. The Downmats were/are a godsend, so is Exped's inflatable pillow.

So what should I get, they seem to be very similar. I have posted in WBBB section as it seems most have moved from HH to WB and therefore can compare. I have also read about ChrisH's reversal conversion.

Please advice this noob
    Flip a coin! Seriously, I have used both, and they are both great hammocks. The WB has more foot room, which I like, though not really a factor when side sleeping. It also has the shelf, a really handy feature.

I do seem to have less calf pressure with the DJ or HH Explorer UL and zero with the HH Safari, than with the BB. However, recently I seem to have finally defeated the calf pressure problem with the BB. I just have to make sure the foot end is high enough above the head end and have the RL tension just right. Last weekend I set it up for my son, and felt no calf pressure when testing it. My son slept in it that night, and reported NO calf pressure. He reported an extremely comfortable nights sleep.

But with any of these hammocks ( though much less likely with the Safari) if things are not perfect with my hammock pitch and/or my positioning in the hammock, I can have either the calf pressure problem or my knees can be hyper-extended(or both), even if only very slightly, thus requiring some sort of knee pillow. In my experience so far, with the possible exception of the HH Safari, only a JRB Bridge or GrizzBridge has been 100% free of these problems, and 100% free of any "waist twist" issues when side sleeping, 100% of the time.

Lately, with the BB calf issue possibly solved ( for me) without even having to put a pillow under my knees, I think I am leaning just very slightly towards the WBBB. Only because of the extra foot room, and maybe the shelf. Other than that, I'm fine with either. I can be very comfortable in either on my back or on my side, legs straight or fetal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not a terribly easy choice.

I also have both hammocks and both get used regularly. I admit that I am a big fan of the Warbonnet line and have been since they hit the market back in 07'. I've watched the company grow and was lucky enough to be a beta tester for many pieces of Warbonnet gear. Point is, I am biased. That said, the Deep Jungle is a very good and comfortable hammock. Hennessy listened to his customers (took a while) and addressed what some perceived to be shortcomings in the original HH line. The result was the Deep Jungle and it was/is a very good result!

Comfort wise, these hammocks are very similar. IMO, the choice is going to boil down to which features you like the best. Here is how I see them:

HHDJ wins in the fabric department; fairly handily. The material used is that of the Hyperlite Hammocks and it is just wonderful. It is very soft, but doesn't grab your clothing like other soft materials I've used. What I don't like are the slits for pad insertion. They might have changed in the past couple of years, so this might not be an issue. However, both of my DJs have a fairly narrow slit for getting a pad between the layers. Still functional, just not as easy as it should/could be.

For convenience with storage, the WBBB puts the HHDJ to shame. The shelf is fantastic and easily able to hold your boots, plus a bunch of other stuff if you choose. If you still can't fit everything inside the hammock (you probably have too much stuff ), you can always add a ridgeline storage pocket like comes standard with the HHs. I also like the fact that the WBBB comes with suspension options; one less thing I have to do to the hammock upon arrival since I like webbing-based suspensions the best.

Warbonnet is still, IMO, a cottage shop. Hennessy is very much not. If that matters to you. Hennessy has most items in stock on a regular basis. You may be waiting on a Warbonnet for a bit of time.

I do think the WBBB is slightly more comfortable that the HHDJ, mostly because the tie-outs on HHs are not in the right places for me. My knees don't need a tie-out, but my feet do like to jut out a bit. Then again, I'm a dedicated back-sleeper. They both have side-zipper entries and with both, you can flip the netting over to one side and enjoy an almost open hammock; very nice! Both can be used just as comfortably without using the tie-outs, which let you fit in tighter spots.

It's all just little details and which details work better for you. I recommend both of these hammocks frequently to folks trying hammocks for the first time. You cannot go wrong with either and both are very good quality using top shelf materials. If you lived in Colorado, I'd tell you for sure to go with the WBBB and help support your local economy. Since you don't, I'm going to second BillyBob58's suggestion....go grab a 20 cent piece and give it a toss.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Hey SWANK-E, welcome to the forum. I still consider myself a bit of a Newbee, but I think I can offer some good advice for you. I had back surgery from a ruptured disk in my lower back about 7 years ago. My kids are heavily active in boy scouting and all the sleeping on air mats, cots, and camp pads was really taking its toll on my lower back. I tried a hammock as a last ditched effort to try and continue camping. A friend let me lounge in his WBBB one day and I loved it so I decided to give it a try. Now I'm 100% sold out on the WBBB. I use the 1.7 Double on a regular basis, and believe me when I tell you I have no back pain after a night in my hammock. I'm totally amazed by it.

With the footbox, I feel like I'm sleeping in the fully reclined position of a LayZboy recliner (you know what I mean....fully laid back). I've even surprised myself on occasion and woke up in the morning on my side and still have had no problems. Heck, even on my tempur pedic at home I have to be careful about sleeping on my side.....but no worries with my WBBB 1.7 Double. Now I use my hammock for campouts, backpack trips, and for a leisurely afternoon nap in the outdoors.

As a side note, last month I ordered the Superfly (been using a $8 walmart tarp till now) and can't wait for it to arrive so I can take it on a trip later this month. Fingers crossed....hoping it will arrive in time.

Hope this helps with your decision

Regarding calf cramps....I had this happen in my left leg once......I repositioned a bit and haven't had a problem since.......you just need to find that "sweet spot" everyone talks about.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    No dilemna !!

Buy both.

Keep the one you like best!

Let a buddy try the other. Everybody is happy and no more dilemna.

Oh wait , there is a dilemna. Who gets the 'prime' hanging spots?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    Oh wait , there is a dilemna. Who gets the 'prime' hanging spots?
    Easy. Whomever carried the steak and/or beer, of course.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Easy. Whomever carried the steak and/or beer, of course.
    Beer always wins.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast