WBB 1.7 Double,DIY traveler
    Tarp
    hennessy hex,DIY
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Exclamation Need some advice on keeping the cold out for a big fella.

Ok so I need some advice from you all again. I had back sugary not to long ago and it looks like I will not be healed up enough to go for hanging until spring. So I am working on building up and refining my rig. So here is where I need your help I am a big fella 6 foot three and AROUND 350. I am wide at the shoulders and now that my back is not what it used to be. The cool air in the hammock plays havoc with my back. I need to do something to keep off the cold. My question is what do my wide brothers out there use to keep out the cold? I have been on workers comp so I am looking for a solution that will not break the bank. If Pads are the way to go what pads should I look into? And any tips on keeping the pads in the hammock? I would love to do an UQ but my budget will not allow me that option right now. Would like to make my own but I have no thread injector and the materials I would need are a little over my budget right now. (Had to buy a new hammock mine ripped out on me in a test hang.) Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bigbogg

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    hey bigbogg, i have used a closed cell foam pad (ridgerest) and an extra sleeping bag under it and have taken it to about 15 degrees last early winter when i first got into hanging. I had some major condensation on the pad when i got up in themorning, but it worked out ok. obviously a underquilt would be best, but if the budget won't allow it, you gotta do what you gotta do.

what hammock split on you?I am down from 427 to 373 and this whole time i have been using ENO doublenest and it has worked great.

Banned
    Hammock
    WBB 1.7 Double,DIY traveler
    Tarp
    hennessy hex,DIY
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It was a DIY that was made for me. It wasn't the hammock it self. With my back being sore I was having a hard time moving around to get in the sweet spot. And I think I dug the zipper on the hammock and it was enough to make a hole that just wanted to make itslf bigger.

Bigbogg

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
    hey bigbogg, i have used a closed cell foam pad (ridgerest) and an extra sleeping bag under it and have taken it to about 15 degrees last early winter when i first got into hanging. I had some major condensation on the pad when i got up in themorning, but it worked out ok. obviously a underquilt would be best, but if the budget won't allow it, you gotta do what you gotta do.

what hammock split on you?I am down from 427 to 373 and this whole time i have been using ENO doublenest and it has worked great.

Images
    Understanding the cost issues, here is a long term solution (which usually is the low cost option).

Get a double layer hammock - pads stay in place and the hammock can support more weight.

Hennessy offers a wide reflectix pad. http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...bubble_pad-xl/

I also ordered a 60" wide minicell pad and used the HH pad as a template to create another pad. If required, you could make the pad wider to meet your needs.

And of course a down underquilt is tough to beat.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    If you have access to an army navy surplus store try this a PLUQ http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=pluq friend of mine just put one together for $35.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Definitely look into the PLUQ. At this time of year you can usually find the poncho liners on sale, look at sportmansguide.com (they run from $17 to $29 + shipping). Check out some of the local thrift stores in your area for used camping gear you may find a sleeping bag that can be converted to an UQ.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I highly recommend the PLUQ for non-winter camping...but, there is an issue with the width on it. If you do the double-layer, no-sew version found here, the poncho liner will only be about 42" across. If that's wide enough for your shoulders and girth, then, definitely go for it! If not, you may want to look into converting a full-size sleeping bag.

What kind of camping do you do? Is it mostly car camping? Is it bicycle camping? Is it hiking/backpacking? This will determine what you want to go with, as your needs on the sliding scale of warmth/volume/weight/cost/ease-of-use/ease-of-construction vary.

Me, I fall on the line between traditional camping and lightweight camping (not ultralight), with volume, cost, and ease-of-use being my largest motivators. So, the PLUQ is perfect for me.

I did a field report on it here that details some of the issues I found in construction and set-up (mostly due to my own inexperience and idiocy). Hope it helps!

• + New Posts