Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions needed

Opinions needed

I am looking for a UQ that is full length.
    I have narrowed it down to a New River or a Incubator...
    Which one would you chose and why would you chose it. And I am open to suggestions on other full length UQ's..

The UQ has to fit nicely on a WBBB, Switchback, and on a HH explorer deluxe..
    I would like to stay under $250 and the lighter the better but weight is not too much of a issue..
    Thank you

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    I am looking for a UQ that is full length.
    I have narrowed it down to a New River or a Incubator...
    Which one would you chose and why would you chose it. And I am open to suggestions on other full length UQ's..

The UQ has to fit nicely on a WBBB, Switchback, and on a HH explorer deluxe..
    I would like to stay under $250 and the lighter the better but weight is not too much of a issue..
    Thank you
    Which Incubator, 40, 20 or 0?

I guess it comes down to whether you prefer down or synthetic, purely a personal pref. I guess part of that would be how much moisture might be a problem? Or how much bulk weight and bulk might be the main issue? You will save a little money with the New River, but probably not enough (for me) to base the decision on especially if you prefer the pros of down, and don't worry about getting it wet.

From what I read, quality wise either should be fine.

For 10 oz, some(a lot of?) extra bulk, you can almost forget about moisture issues and save about $60-90. Do you have plenty of room in your pack?

For $60-90, you can save yourself some weight and bulk. It may also last(keep it's loft) longer. But you will have to be more careful about keeping it dry.

I was thinking the 40* incubator would work for me since I sleep hot and where I live I only need a 3 season UQ.
    I live in south east Tx where the humidity is high in summer and the winters are the rainy season so a down uq might not be my best bet but I like the packability of down.
    Man I don't have a clue....

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have camped and canoed in all kinds of nasty weather and never has moisture with down been an issue. I like the loft, the lightness and the packability.

I also think synthetics would be great where space and weight is not an issue. Canoeing I can carry lots of weight and often take a couple of quilts, really crazy sometimes and take a couple of hammocks to satisfy my mood.

So, it is not an easy decision, but with both of these you cannot go wrong. What the heck, get both, take up paddling and ignore the weight.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

So, it is not an easy decision, but with both of these you cannot go wrong. What the heck, get both, take up paddling and ignore the weight. [/QUOTE]

I would love to get both but for now I can only get one UQ.
    I might have to flip a coin....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    You really can't go wrong with ether one, and if you decide you don't like it... you can sell it here for practically what you paid. Personally I would go with the incubator, it's my next UQ purchase. The packability/weight of down just can't be beat.

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Spaceweasel:
    I have several of the KAQ New Rivers. I am at this time looking at a custom 20* Incubator. I have been in sideways rains with a leaking tarp and had no issues with the KAQ keeping me warm even when it got wet. I like the weight savings and compression of the down from the Incubator. I have other down UQ's they are both from the Jack's @ jacksarebetter.com. They are fine but I find that they are a little narrow for a person my size so I want to try another UQ out. When I first got started a I chose the KAQ New Rivers because they were synthetic and cheaper than the down UQ's. Paul does great work on the quilts and you will not be dissappointed, at all!

In my pack, Osprey Atmos 65 or GoLite Pinnacle, I used to carry two KAQ NR UQ's, my Clark NX-200, a BWDD Winter Dream Tarp sleeping clothes for "winter" time, fleece jacket, three liter H2O bladders, cook kit, food and various sundry things for camp all very comfortably.

If you get a chance I highly recommend that you go to a group hang and look at the quilts other hangers are using. Either one of the UQ's you are looking at will get you to the temps you are going to experience, will handle the weather with a good tarp pitch and be fairly easy to pack on the trail. Good luck from a fellow on the trail of the perfect UQ..........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I have not tried a New River but I know that my Incubator fits perfectly on my WBBB and I absolutely love it. It has kept me toasty warm in some cold temps. Comes up nicely around my shoulders. Lofts up really nicely. Covers all six feet of me easily. I have never had a problem with getting it wet cause I keep it in a dry sack and if its raining I set up my tarp first and then take my quilts out. I really like the channel suspension which the Incubator has it makes set up very easy (I do not know what suspension system the New River has so you might want to look into that you may prefer one over the other). So overall I like the Incubator but again bot are great UQ's.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    40/20 HG jRB HR
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

jrb hudson river?

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what about the JRB the hudson river?They have the 800 down for $219.00 it weight: 20 ounces.
    I see you also have a HH and I'm trying to see it it would work for a HH. It's a great price.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Rectangular%20Quilts.htm

Thanks,

KC
    Last edited by Netmonster; 10-04-2011 at 17:54. Reason: added weight...

Quote Originally Posted by Netmonster View Post
    I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what about the JRB the hudson river?They have the 800 down for $219.00 it weight: 20 ounces.
    I see you also have a HH and I'm trying to see it it would work for a HH. It's a great price.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Rectangular%20Quilts.htm

Thanks,

KC
    The Hudson river does look nice and the price is right but I just don't know how they would work on the WBBB or the Switchback...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast