Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops

My most comfortable hang

If you look at my profile you will see I have only been a member since April, but I have done a ton or research and spent a lot of money in that time.

I have hung in a couple hennesy hammocks. A few enos and I ended up with a wbbb for a while. I thought that since everyone seemed to love the blackbird that I would too. I am not saying that anything was wrong with it, but it was never as comfortable as I thought it should be and hanging an uq on it was difficult. But then I was entrigued by a bridge.

So I sold the bird and contacted jrb. I bought a bear mountain bridge and a mt washington under quilt. I am finally very happy with my Hammock setup. The bmbh is such a comfortable hang and practically fool proof to hang. The uq sets up quickly and easily. And provides full weather protection.

The main reason I am posting is just to let new people know you need to get out and try different things until you find what really works for you. We are all different shouldn't our setups be too?

NWGA, the Rome/Floyd county area. Johns Mt. Wilderness area is an old stomping ground.
    Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth, gathered end 12x5
    Tarp
    DIY silnyl 10x12
    Insulation
    depends...
    Suspension
    MULETAPE!!!
    I love my BMBH!

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    I agree with you. I ordered a Clark NX-250 and two day later I got a chance to hang in a BMBH. I have not been out in either over night, but my initial thoughts are that the bridge is more comfortable.

Images
    Well now, very interesting! I just posted today in another thread about the surprising lack of popularity of bridge hammocks. Considering how many people have complaints about calf pressure and/or knee hyper-extension. Despite bridges having their own down side, still seems like there would be more bridge users, considering how often the above problems show up. And considering bridges are devoid of such problems. But maybe bridges are starting to get more notice?

I also have that JRB combo. I have always thought it was about a bombproof set up as I have seen. Hard to set up wrong, no adjustments to worry about.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    I would think that weight would be the bmbh's one downside, but even it is not much of one. It is about half a pound heavier than the wbbb. But for me it is far more comfortable. It use to take me a while to fall asleep in the wb, I always passed it as I was just excited to be hanging. But at home I am a dedicated side sleeper and I could never comfortably do that in the bird. First time in the bridge I feel asleep in 5 minutes and slept for a three hour nap.

But there again I will admit we are all different and many people can sleep in a gathered end hammock. But I can't.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It was exactly the same story for me. I had a Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7 that had a few nights use on a couple of different trips and I just couldn't get comfortable with the calf pressure and knee hyper extension despite trying all the usual remedies. So I traded my WBBB for a Bear Mountain bridge and I couldn't be happier with it. I am a dedicated back sleeper and I don't move much while in my hammock so it was pretty easy for me to use the bridge.

As for the weight issue vs a WBBB, my bridge that I traded for had an upgraded suspension triangle with amsteel and came with whoopie slings and tree straps. I also had a zipper mod done for my bugnet. I would say the bridge setup is no heavier than the WBBB that I had.

I am glad that you found the hammock for you.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    I would think that weight would be the bmbh's one downside, but even it is not much of one. It is about half a pound heavier than the wbbb. But for me it is far more comfortable.

But there again I will admit we are all different and many people can sleep in a gathered end hammock. But I can't.
    The solution to your 1/2 lb gain in weight, might be Dutch's Gearskin bridge hammock/pack...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ridge+gearskin

Talk about a multi-use item!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Before switching the the bridge I had a HH Explorer UL with Mac Cat Deluxe, when I did the math the JRB BMB combo was a hair lighter. For comfort the bridge design blows away my old rig, no more clad pressure or the wall of fabric on one side blocking half the view. Plus it's way more convienent to sit up and read.

I can't wait until next week when I get to spend a week hanging!
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    +1 on trying out different setups.

I had tried a BMBH and it was a little too snug in the shoulders for my liking. I tried a Skeeter Beeter - too stretchy. I tried a GTUL - too small for my frame (6'2'' 260 lbs.). I tried a WBBB Traveller - didn't like the non integrated bugnet (sounding a bit like Goldielocks ).

I had a WBBB for a year and a half and recently made the switch (no pun intended) to a Switchback after it was loaned to me by a fellow member. The WBBB was a great hammock, just not for me.

I could never get things quite right (I'm talking dozens of nights on the trail and probably at least a hundred basement and backyard/park hangs).

I am buying into the idea of height, weight, and body dimensions heavily influencing the lay in a hammock.

Get to a hang and try out those hammocks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    No knee or calf pressure here, and the ease of set up is grand! Also a side sleeper and the BMBH seems to work very well for me in that catagory. I have a WBBB and have had it out several times, but seem to migrate back to the bridge. I am anxious to try the SB as the comments and TR cover all my issues and concerns. And would agree completely, search until the perfect hang is found for you!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast