Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

Ever come down sick while out hammocking?

Right now I'm so sick with a cold. I came on strong today. It makes me wonder what you'd do if you were a day out and suddenly came down sick. Any thoughts from the veterans?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yep, I got sick last time I was out and drank plenty of water and tried to sweat it out. I ended up feeling better by the last day too.

There is a dude on here you may have heard of that likes to try the "backwoods neti pot" approach. Which I hear works great!

Fronkey

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I haven't suddenly come down sick, but I hit the AT with bronchitis last year. It sucked but oddly enough only in the morning. Didn't bother me while hiking. Just tough it out and enjoy what you can. You're outside and not at work.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    scale back on your expectations ( for mileage, etc) and pace yourself- the body will be using some of your available energy to fight the invaders.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    If you suddenly fall ill while on a trail and a day out, I think it would be wise to take a zero to recoup - this is dependent on supplies though, meaning if you have extra food/water for an extra day out in the woods. If not, as KerMegan as suggested, pace yourself and scale back your expectations/mileage.

To Fronkey's point, backwoods neti might work too

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Last time I was out I woke up choking on my Uvula. Darn thing was so big and swollen it would flop forward about halfway on my tounge. Neti pot was no solution for that. Luckily, with the exception of being able to swallow well, it didn't affect much else. A week with Zpack, warm fluids and work and by the 4th day it had stopped getting tugged everytime I swallowed. I had no forewarning, went to sleep just like every night.

Usually can tell when a cold is coming on. I'd make haste to an extraction point if i could. Otherwise, any parent should be able to judge what to do. it's the same thing as when you get sick and your little ones are just SO FULL of energy! Take it easy, reduce your expectations, increase your fluid intakes, decrease your solids. if you have a fever, reduce your caloric intake, if you don't increase your intake if you have it to spare.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    If you don't already have one, A Neti Pot like the others suggest really work(you can get one at Walgreens). Making a back woods version with your hydration bladder & tube is easy. It's in Shugs vidios when he got to feeling bad.
    Make sure you get plenty of fluids too but if you start to get a high fever don't mess around with that and either take a zero day or get off the trail.
    Personally, I have to have my vitamin C to help me along.

Get Well Soon!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Gotten sick while camping but that is usually from being over served.

My first camping experience with a hammock is scheduled for next weekend and lucky me I have shockwave treatment for kidney stones next Wednesday. So I will be hitting the campground in less than 100% condition from the get go. Fortunately this is a trial run with little hiking so unless I feel really bad, I'm going. What could be better than a couple of days resting in a hammock in the peace and quiet? That has to speed healing.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Hi, my real name is Sherry and I have lupus....opps, thought perhaps I was at a meeting I don't usually specify my all aliments, and symptoms cross over so much it doesn't really matter. A lot of us suffer our own battles. For me, I get a steroid shot before whatever adventure, I try to pick my activities very carefully as I know I'll pay the price later. If it is something I think I'll really like, than I'm doing it. I also always set up another appointment to get my next shot when I get back into town..or as soon as they'll give me another, since they are limited. I've also noticed that the time that I'm with great people and outside tend to just be able to push me to limits that I would not be able to otherwise do. Actually meeting the individuals that I've met thus far has been the best medicine for myself. It's very important to listen to your body, also know that your body is usually smarter than you are, lastly...ask for help before it's too late as you may not find it later.

I hope you start feeling better real soon.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i had the runs once... nothing like having the runs and having to do it in a cathole
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast