Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Farstar... I appreciate your comments. However I am not at all interested in the scouting program for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that I am called in other directions and other pursuits.

I am thankful there are those people who do things well so that I don't have to do them badly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images
    Last night, during the District Spring Camporee, I slept in my handtied hammock, no tarp. Several have seen it on previous outings and regarded it as a type of lawn furniture. Something to lounge around in but not as a piece of gear. My plan is to keep bringing it along and gradually add more pieces: tarp, sock, quilts...
    The curiousity is building and I plan to let them come to their own conclusions on their own terms. Being a guest, I may be regarded more as a spectator than a participant by the boys of the Troop. Any suggestions from the experienced scouters here? I had thought about buying a couple of no net Claytors and donating them to the Troop.

My son is a Webelos Scout and we have been invitied along several times in the past year. I will not be formally working with the Troop until my son cross over fron Cub Scouts next spring. This gives me a little time to plan my next move.
    Last edited by steene; 05-18-2008 at 21:46.

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I am an active leader in our pack & troop. I plan and host 2 camp outs for the pack. We had our big spring camp out ( 82 scouts and parents)over this past weekend and it rained like crazy. My son & I in our hammocks were dry and comfy as usual. I must have had a lease a dozen dads inquiring about the hammocks. Some were skeptical at first, but when they saw we could handle hard driving rain with ease, they were taking test "mini naps" in the third hammock I had set up for the curious. My son was using his CC LEX, I was using a basic CC crib & sportsman guide tarp and I set up an HH with stock tarp for inspection. I normally use the HH, but was too lazy to deal with the bottom entry.

If you are a new leader or someone who wants to get your cub scout pack camping, but are not sure how to make some thing like that happen, shoot me an email. We run a full day of activities, serve food and all that good stuff.

This year I had the following activities

Fishing
    Map & Compass
    Fire Building and Safety
    Leave no Trace scavenger hunt
    BB Gun Range
    Sling Shot Range
    Night sounds hike
    Skits around the fire
    Glowsticks for the boys on both nights.
    Fun, fun and more fun.

I am tired today but it is always worth it. The enthusiam of the little ones when they catch thier first fish or shoot for the first time or making, lighting and maintain a fire they did with out matches is the best in my book.

Well as a new guy to the forum and to hanging in general I'm glad to see there are other scout masters and scouts on the forum. After a bad back injury 4 years ago, camping had become less frequent as sleep on the ground required a really thick inflatable mat that was hard to pack in anywhere. It became more of a chore than what it was worth until a friend of mine let me try out his Hammock that he used while hiking the AT. It was a beautiful thing, now I'm preparing to get myself and my older scouts hammocks. It sure beats the weight of most backpacking tents and comfort is great. We are looking strongly at the Hennessy's as we can get a pretty good deal on those. Just wanted to say hi though, and thanks for all the info!

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steene View Post
    Last night, during the District Spring Camporee, I slept in my handtied hammock, no tarp. Several have seen it on previous outings and regarded it as a type of lawn furniture. Something to lounge around in but not as a piece of gear. My plan is to keep bringing it along and gradually add more pieces: tarp, sock, quilts...
    The curiousity is building and I plan to let them come to their own conclusions on their own terms. Being a guest, I may be regarded more as a spectator than a participant by the boys of the Troop. Any suggestions from the experienced scouters here? I had thought about buying a couple of no net Claytors and donating them to the Troop.

My son is a Webelos Scout and we have been invitied along several times in the past year. I will not be formally working with the Troop until my son cross over fron Cub Scouts next spring. This gives me a little time to plan my next move.
    My suggestion is to just jump in with both feet. When I started this time (my second venture in to Scouting) around with a HH, I was greeted with some sceptical looks and jeers. Now, it's toatal acceptance and I have even converted one of the other ASMs. I have also sold a unused HH to another ASM, but she has yet to use it.

I view my purpose as bringing an alternate viewpoint. There are a multiplicity of methods in which to defur a feline!!
    Peace,
    Joe

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123