ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

"Big" Tarp Design

Hey guys,

I have been on DIY quest as you probably have noticed from my forum posts the past few weeks. So far I've created...

1. 10x5 asym tarp
    2. TQ - primaloft
    3. UQ - prima loft
    4. Tons of stuff sacks
    5. a backpack (didn't like it though )
    6. rain wrap
    7. Jeff pack cover
    8. a Henry Shire Tarp Tent
    9. Wrist warmers
    10. A gathered end hammock
    ...probably plenty of other things as well I am not thinking of...

Now its time for a big tarp! I need one with an A-frame design that will serve the purpose of covering my GF and I using our hammocks with a trekking pole spreader bar design.

I was thinking about going with a 12x10 design. So I'd get about 8 yds and sew them together at the ridge line. I'd reinforce the corner tie outs and probably use a heavier duty fabric for tie outs (oxford or something I have about).

I am debating if I want to go with 2.1 sil or 1.1 sil. I am not a gram weenie and the weight isn't a huge deal because in my mind it'll be negligible.

Mainly, here are my concerns.
    1. Is that size adequate? - I don't want to get too big....worried about bulkiness.
    2. How's this fabric - http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=63 ??

I don't care about stealth and I enjoy the cheery red.

Edit: I am debating whether I would want to cat cut the bottom and how do you make those measurements or do you just eye ball it? Is it bad to have a straight edge at the bottom?
    Last edited by ljcsov; 10-09-2011 at 21:59.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    My tarp is 11x10. Works well for one person and could be used for two, but the coverage would be tight-ish in my mind. The weight of my tarp is ~ 19 ounces with guy lines and snake skins.

If I were you I would look at 1.1 ounce silnylon. With that much fabric the weight will add up faster than you think.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Magic words were "you and your girlfriend" I'd buy or borrow a 12 x 15 plastic tarp and try setting that up with the hammocks. It might give you a new perspective. Still use 12 as the ridge line.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Magic words were "you and your girlfriend" I'd buy or borrow a 12 x 15 plastic tarp and try setting that up with the hammocks. It might give you a new perspective. Still use 12 as the ridge line.
    You are saying look to go extra wide?

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you think a 10' x 12' will cover two,,it might,,only if yu continually find 2 sets of a triangle of 3 trees to tie to that are super close together every camp you choose,,your better off,,to get 2 tarps and over lap them together so that if you need to enclose them in wind/blowing rain, or snow,,your covered..here is a pic from last weekend,,where we endured warm sunny days,,at nite more than 40mph gusts, blowing lite snow/rain/fog in the clouds covered with lite ice in the morning sunday as we got up..so be prepared for anything and everything in my book..one tarp is a 10' x 12' OES,,other is green oldman winter tarp from Wilderness Logics.

Some other thread showed a enlarged DYI tarp with a panel added dead center,,but you still have to find the right trees together for a perfect setup all the time to sleep 2 side by side and your playing the odds on that all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    like others has said a 12ft ridgeline should be ok but check out my tarp http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40225
    this is a 12x11 and it is HUGE for one person but i would even say that if you ran into incliminate weather that if you had to cover two hammock that you might need to go like 12x15 12 still being the RL also i just got 2 orders from DIY GEAR SUPPLY and i will tell you that their product is TOP NOTCH cant say to much more. you said that you were concerned about bulk if i were you i would go with their silnylon seconds that they have http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=19
    you could just get 12 yards of silnylon cut it across every 4 yards then cut i of the 4 yards down the middle sew the first 2 4 yards of sil like you would to make a normal tarp then take the last yard you cut in half and add one piece to each side you should end up with about a 12x15-16 and should have 7.5-8 ft on each side that should MORE than cover you and another also it will still stuff to about 12x6 in stuff sack cause my 12x11 is about 8x5in in its stuff sack so i figure add add a lil more space for the extra 4 yards. but i would suggest butting grograin down the RL for extra support just because your making a BIG tarp "wind sale" and would hate to hear of it ripping on the RL. i hope this helps you out

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The red fabric is only coated on "one side" according to your link.
    I'd suggest the double coated for the tarp.
    Maybe ask Scott his preference?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the all the suggestions. It looks like a 12' ridgeline is the way to go. We are going to be hanging from the same set of trees and will be using a spreader bar to give ourselves some room. That is why I was thinking we would be able to fit under one 12x10 tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    Check out the Honeymoon Suite. It sounds like this is what you are looking for.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27220&highlight=honeymoon+suite

What is a wrap wrap
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast