Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

Deet and a Hammock...good or bad combo?

I don't know about you all, but where I live the hills, fields, and woods are filled with Ticks and Chiggers. I've followed the advice of many hangers before me and sprayed down my hammock with Permethrin; and when I'm walking about I wipe down my legs with Off Deep Woods Deet Wipes.

I was telling my friend and fellow backpacker/hanger this when he said.......hold it.......stop........Deet is an enemy of hammocks! Because Deet is a petroleum based product, when it comes into contact with the fabric our hammocks are made from it can melt, scar, or otherwise weaken the fabric.

This is the first I've heard this. I did a brief search of the forum and nothing jumped out at me about the topic so I thought I'd throw this out and see what responses I got.

Am I risking harming my hammock by using deet on my skin and then getting in the hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Deet on your skin then jumping in the hammock.....I think you're OK. OTOH...I told my buddy about treating his hammock with permethrin and so he sprays the thing down with Deepwoods Off. Luckily it was a relatively low concentration and he didn't soak it too heavily. So far so good. It didn't drop him on his bottom yet.

Another friend on a paddling trip put on some Bens 100% deet like it was aftershave then grabbed up his wooden paddle. The residual on his hands melted the coating on the paddle and glued it to his hand. My response to him was, "if it did that to the paddle then what is it doing to YOU". He took it easy on the repellant after that.

Images
    Well I have not heard of any problems from putting it on your skin, where it should quickly dry. But it would be a bad idea - of course - to spray any of the DEET right on your gear. But I don't know if it can cause harm after it had dried on your skin.

I hike in those same mossy/tick infested MS/AL woods as you- and they are really bad. But since treating my clothes, packs and sometimes part of my hammock with Permethrin, and maybe treating exposed skin with Picaridin, I almost never even see or hear those pests any more. I think the Permethrin does 90% of the work. But the 15-20% Picaridin also works good on my skin, is for me way more tolerable than DEET, and is advertised to be safe for direct spray on fabric and gear. Though obviously not designed for that, since it would not last very long- 8 hrs max. Compared to weeks for Permethrin.

Last weekend, within a stones throw of water in the Sipsey Wilderness, one mossy buzzed in my ear one time. I had on treated clothing with no spray on my skin. Bugs were just not a problem using just Permethrin treated clothing without even a treated hat on. But I did have 20% Picaridin handy just in case.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Deet on your skin then jumping in the hammock.....I think you're OK. OTOH...I told my buddy about treating his hammock with permethrin and so he sprays the thing down with Deepwoods Off. Luckily it was a relatively low concentration and he didn't soak it too heavily. So far so good. It didn't drop him on his bottom yet.

Another friend on a paddling trip put on some Bens 100% deet like it was aftershave then grabbed up his wooden paddle. The residual on his hands melted the coating on the paddle and glued it to his hand. My response to him was, "if it did that to the paddle then what is it doing to YOU". He took it easy on the repellant after that.
    LOL! I hope his hammock is OK! And DEET melts your paddle, too much!

I hope they never decide that Permethrin treated clothing, or exposure while spraying/soaking the clothing, is a significant health threat. Cause it has been like the miracle of the ages since I started using it. Now snakes, poison ivy and heat/sweat is all I have to worry about in the summer, and I actually hike in the deepest woods near swamps at times of the year when I never would before. Bugs are just never a factor anymore. And that Picaridin is a God send also, for backup and/or exposed skin.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Picaridin? Never heard of it. I'll have to do some research. Sounds like a nice alternative to deet

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by biggameken View Post
    Picaridin? Never heard of it. I'll have to do some research. Sounds like a nice alternative to deet
    Here is a source. http://www.rei.com/product/770010/na...llent-35-fl-oz It is safe for gear and gets good reviews. I would stick to the 20% stuff. I used the 15% this summer and picked off 13 ticks. I think the 20 is better. Doesn't smell too bad, either.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by biggameken View Post
    Bet you will love it. I can often find little 4-5 oz ball point pen sized containers of 20% at Walmart. Perfect for the pack. For me it keeps the bugs away for many hours ( YMMV ) and again, sometimes I just spray it right on clothing if it is not already treated with Permethrin.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    While Deet can damage nylon it is also the only effective bug repelent for many. I like Picardin myself. The smell doesn't seem as noxious to me and it seems safe for outdoor gear. And of course it keeps the bugs at bay.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Here's something I do that's probably gonna gross some out, but it has worked for me quite well. I don't care to spray crap all over me for insect protection, so, here goes:

(I'm a mobile service tech, so, I'm outside a LOT...)

I have a 64oz. bottle I keep with me at all times. I fill it in the morning and usually finish it everyday. It's stainless steel....

I clean it out every week or so with Baking Soda and vinegar.....(Remember that 'volcano' you built as a kid in school in the custom DIY mound of dirt with the half egg shell??) rinse it a bit and keep on truckin'...

With that first "refill" after cleaning, I pour a little bit of white vinegar into the water - less than a cap full.

I've found that when I do this bugs FLEE THE SCENE known as me...I guess when you sweat, that vinegar emits something that bugs DO NOT like!! BUT, humans can't smell it!!! Friends gawk all the time at how I'm not being eaten alive when they are. Quite a few friends of mine have done this with similar results.

It does create a day of "tough water drinking", but I think it beats exposing myself to whatever may be in all this other stuff....

When I know I'll be in the woods, I usually do a "booster shot" with 12 or oz. of water and a fairly strong dose of the vinegar.....It either works or I'm immune to feeling the bites......

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have never damaged NYLON fabric with DEET,

but I have ruined the urethane coating on nylon with it. I have also made varnished canoe paddles stickey, softened the plastic grips of certain canoe paddles, and as I recall gooeyed-up a shift knob on a Beetle.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast