Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

Question about the 40 degree burrow.

Anybody got a 40 degree burrow? With 3 oz of down added to it? Was wondering how low degrees you might have used it in? Also was curious how low a standard 40 degree burrow might take you to???

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If it helps any...The weekend before last I used my 50 F Burrow (w/1 extra oz of down) to the mid 40's and that was on the ground. I was wearing my BRG down hat, a long sleeve cap 2 crew shirt, some long bottoms and smart wool socks. I was nice and comfy. I had my down jacket with me to throw over the quilt just in case, but the times I did I was too hot and pulled it right back off of me.

Based on this and in a hammock, I feel like I will be able to get away with using this quilt down to freezing! Of course at this point this is just a theory, but the temps are slowly starting to dip down a little and hopefully in the next month or so I will get to test it out!
    Jus' Sayin'

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Anybody got a 40 degree burrow? With 3 oz of down added to it? Was wondering how low degrees you might have used it in? Also was curious how low a standard 40 degree burrow might take you to???
    I've gone into the mid 30's with a 40 rated Burrow and Phoenix with no over stuff and wearing proper insulation. I would venture to say that a 40 rated burrow with 3oz over stuff could get you down to freezing but the only way to know is to test out and the best place to do that is in your back yard. It all depends on how hot/cold you sleep and how much insulation you are wearing.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I've gone into the mid 30's with a 40 rated Burrow and Phoenix with no over stuff and wearing proper insulation. I would venture to say that a 40 rated burrow with 3oz over stuff could get you down to freezing but the only way to know is to test out and the best place to do that is in your back yard. It all depends on how hot/cold you sleep and how much insulation you are wearing.
    +1

I will say though that I am a very "Warm" almost "Hot" sleeper, but, I have taken my 40* Burrow (old summer burrow) below freezing, at the time I bought it from Adam the ratings he gave them were slightly different, the Summer Burrow was rated to 40* with 800fp down, and 35* with 900fp down! Each time I have been in my skivvies!

Not sure if this helps?????
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I figured,,if I took a 40 degree burrow,,put 3 ozs of overfill down in it, I know I am going to pay the same as a 20 degree burrow, but shave a few ozs of weight off it, with 10ozs total in down fill...and get down to 30,,even if I have to wear alittle clothing for added insulation,,so was just seeing what consenses is and replies I get on these questions..as I have a 50 degree and 40 degree that the wife can use, then for now, we have been using our BA bags. one at 30 degrees other is 15 degrees,,I am the cold natured one and she is the hot natured one,,other nite it was 38 and she was using the 40 degree golite quilt,,and had her bare feet sticking out, and was still complaining that she was toast!!! Sometimes I wished I were alittle more hot natured,,but,,for now till we get a few more diff quilts,,make this one a 3 season for me/her as it will toast her right out of the hammock..lmao,,

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I have a summer (40*F) burrow i bought last year with 900FP down to bring it down to 35*F. I found the rating to be correct.

I used it on several nights with temperatures of 8,7,5, and 2 degrees C (around about 46, 45, 41, 36* F respectively). Wearing woolen socks, nylon pants, polyester briefs, long-sleeved polyester shirt, supplex rainjacket, and bandana, I was always warm on top.

(Suffered from Cold Back Syndrome, though. My incubator UQ had the same rating as the burrow (down to 35*F), but was just not enough when the temps dipped to 41 (5*C) and 36 (2*C). Wind robbed my heat, and I'm still wondering if i had it cinched perfectly. Lesson: really work on dialing it in, get a windsock or a beefier UQ than TQ)

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    if you're going to add 3 ounces of down i'd just get the 20 degree quilt. the baffles are likely sized for the specific amount of loft desired to get to a certain temperature. the summer with all that extra down can still only expand so much.

my vote for 20 deg...

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Thanks for the replies,,leaning on a 20 degree as I am cold natured,,

• + New Posts