BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing

suggestions from BMBH pad users pls

As noted in my post below I have discovered the nirvana of a blow-up pad in the BMBH and am, for now, convinced I will not be getting an UQ since I don't wish to carry both and will not do without an air pad ... period.

So a couple questions for those in the know.

1. It may take me a little while to get a quality self inflating pad but which ones should I be looking at? Pad should be rated to 30deg if possible (not sure what R rating that would be), fill most of the 26" width of the BMBH sleeve (length not as big a concern but at least 60"), and be rigid enuf to spread the hammock out while I'm in it so I'm not forced by gravity to the center as is the case without a pad or with the CCP's I've tried.

2. I'm currently using an old Field & Stream blow-up mat with pillow section and no intergrated insulation (kinda like a pool lounger with ultra HD material). 24"X72X4" but I only blow it up about 1/2 ways which when I'm on it spreads the BMBH out wonderfully & keeps all body parts away from edges as long as I don't put my arms done to my side. Comfort is better than anything I've ever experienced in my lifetime. So until I decide, if I ever do, on a self inflating pad what are some options for increasing temp rating on what I got without adding much bulk or weight. I have a lrg fleece bag I could wrap the pad with but bulk & weight almost rivals an UQ. I thought about a space blanket which when used with my HHSS system in my gathered ends does wonders (toasty at 27deg, coldest I've hammocked in so far) but without the OCF pad not sure if this will do the trick. I might try to wrap the SS OCF pad on top of the mat but even though weight is minimal pack size is not. Need help on this one, much appreciated.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles

Thumbs up

Exped makes a good airmat in a style that sounds similar to the one you are using now. The air pockets run along the long side, like a pool lounger. I have the downmat in deluxe size, which is a 26" width if I'm thinking right.
    Just got a bmbh also, & am waiting for a break in rain to check out the hammock with pad myself.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    uncharted - Just got a bmbh also, & am waiting for a break in rain to check out the hammock with pad myself.
    I hope you enjoy your BMBH as much as I do. You will find a blow-up makes the bridge flatter width wise with a higher center of gravity which makes it tipsy. Once you convince yourself you're not going to roll out, the comfort for me at least, is out of this world. I have found that even the slightest body shift translates into a change of horizontal (side to side) lie kinda like changing tack in a sail boat. Not uncomfortable but a little disconcerting at first. I think with time & experience this can be minimized.

I have the downmat in deluxe size
    Nice pad, a little pricey but I imagine well worth it. I've been doing a lot of searching & that is one I'm looking at. I also like the Big Agnes insulated & dual core. Just wish I was closer to an REI so I could test a few out. These blow-up mats may preform great on the ground but I have no idea if they will keep they're insulating qualities with air under them. Kinda why I started this thread.

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    The big agnes is similar, but I don't have any experience with it personally. Expeds weigh a little more than some pads, but are pretty bomber build quality. I think at least one or more members here sleep full time on one, not sure what hammock they have it in though.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Neoair

When I had a bmbh i like using it with my thermarest neoair. I think it had an 2.5 R rating. Pretty light to pack as well. If you are not going to bring a quilt when it gets cold you may consider a thin CCF pad to tuck under your shoulders. I found that while the air pad kept me warm underneath, ever time my shoulders touched the side of the bridge i would feel the cold.

~S~

Images
    The Neoair All season vs the Exped Downmat 7. Hmmmmm.

Looks like about the same retail price.

The Exped is 1" wider ( 26 vs 25 ) and has +1 more R value ( 5.9 vs 4.9)

BUT, it weighs 1.6 times as much as the Neo: 41 oz vs 25. That is a lot! Even if you added a torso sized CCF of 1/8-1/4" or so to make up for the R value dif, you would still be way ahead weight wise.

I feel like I would like to have the slight extra width, with the idea it might hold the bridge hammock open a little better, though my 25" wide Thermarest does a fine job of holding it open compared to nothing. Who knows if either the Neoair or downmat would do as well, though I imagine they will.

I wish I had a wide Neoair here to slip in that JRB pad pocket for a trial.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these 2 pads? Looks to me like the Neoair gets the nod, due to less weight.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I just freaked out on a recent trip where the forecast dropped from mid-30s to teens about 5 days before my trip. Because I had a gift card and credit, I bought an Exped downmat dlx and slept in the shelters. I really don't want to do that again, but I was so impressed with the downmat that I'm now interested in a double-layer hammock where I can use it if needed. Not the lightest option, I know, but like the multifunctionability and the fact that I know I can get some good sleep on the ground if I have to be there.

The BMBH says the pad opening is 26", but I assume that's too small for an inflated 26" pad? Also, the pad is 77.5" long. Anyone know if this pad would work in the BMBH?

Any other suggestions on a DL hammock?

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    dakotaross - The BMBH says the pad opening is 26", but I assume that's too small for an inflated 26" pad? Also, the pad is 77.5" long. Anyone know if this pad would work in the BMBH?
    I'm using a BA insulated 25"x77"x2.5" in my BMBH. Fully inflated slips in & out easily. That said it is best to use the pad only partially filled, 1/2 to 3/4, so you're pad should do just fine. Might be a little tight getting it started.

Hammock
    DIY Silver Ghost
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB Seq., 3s-Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My friend has just started using his Big Agnes Insulated Air Core from his tent days in his BMBH and loves it. He had a long(20"x78"), and it fits that hammock pocket perfectly. I have not had experience with any of the down pads mentioned, but the BA is a solid, warm pad and won't break your bank account(usually find for about $80). My friend is actually combining it with a UQ for cold weather camping this fall and winter. I have to say, I have tried out his setup with the pad in it, and it is extremely comfortable, so I understand your desire to go that route. Happy hanging!
    Stubbs

“Hearing is one of the body's five senses, but listening is an art.” - Frank Tyger

Hammock
    DIY Silver Ghost
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB Seq., 3s-Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Also heard great things about the Exped Downmats. Very warm, however a bit more expensive.
    Stubbs

“Hearing is one of the body's five senses, but listening is an art.” - Frank Tyger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast