Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Kentucky

I think I have my general destination nailed down and its Kentucky. I want to hit Mammoth cave, but other than that Ill be wandering. Ill be leaving Lansing on the evening of the 26th and I am going to try to drive straight through.

Curious if any of the locals can give suggestions on hammock friendly campgrounds.... I am also interested in some offroad travel in my truck. Ive found a few sites with suggestions, but need to make sure I am staying within the laws of KY in regards to using a vehicle off pavement. I was going to try to hit up the current mammoth cave planned trip, but I am not planning on kayaking this go around, so if anyone wants to make this an impromptu sorta wandering GTG....

Garden of the Gods in Shawnee Natl. Forest looks interesting.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Ok... Here is where I am at.

I am planning to drive into Mammoth Cave Natl. Park late Wednesday evening or early Thursday morning and get some sleep. From there I will do the tour thing and then head to Red River Gorge for I believe the remainder of my trip. There looks to be more to see there than I can fit into the rest of the time I have on my trip.

Something I had forgotten about where all the venomous creatures roaming around. No stranger to them but havent had to even think about them in the last 13 or so years.

I know this is very unstructured, but thats how I want it. Anyone wanting to join in is welcome. I am trying to talk my son into coming, but hes torn between camping and missing Halloween.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The maple springs camp ground north of the river is the lesser used more rugged camp ground. It is still a car camping type affair though. And I think there is a feed

There is the other campground right there by the central hub of the park. Also a fee.

I have never camped at either one however.

Maybe if you are feeling froggy you can hike to one of the closer back country campsites; Three Springs, First Creek (there are two), or Homestead. No fee to do this but you do have to get a permit from the visitor's center and let them know which site you will be camping at.

I can't tell you much about RRG as it has been a long time since I have been over that way. And if I remember correctly we only hiked to Natural Bridge.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thanks for the info. My son decided he wants to go so we will be camping at campgrounds. He's not yet comfortable sleeping out in the wilderness. And other than day hikes, the majority of our traveling will be forest service roads and trails. As little pavement as possible.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey, Opie--sounds like a great trip you have planned! Wish I could join you, but I have to work. I know more about Mammoth Cave than the park, so I can't help you there. When you go to the RRG, stop at the Gladie Visitor center and buy a topo map. They have a good one that is a combination of the USGS quads covering the area that show all major trails and rock formations. I just got back from a hike on the Auxier Ridge Trail and the Double Arch Trail--very nice, and the trees are just starting to turn. The campground is called Koomer Ridge, and is fairly nice. You should also check out Natural Bridge state park on the other side of the Mountain Parkway, and since you have your son (and if you have time), you really should check out Ft. Boonesborough which is between Lexington and the RRG. It's a re-creation of the original which was located elsewhere in the park, with people in period dress doing period stuff. There is even an actor who plays the part of Daniel Boone and will speak to the audience as if you have just arrived from the East. On the anniversary of the Siege of Boonesborough the re-enact the battle, which is supposed to be very cool.

Have a good time down there--the RRG is really something very special.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thanks for the info Bonsai!! I picked up a Gazetteer for Kentucky and handed it to my son and said start picking places to see. Should be a good trip. We will be there through late Sunday morning, so if you get a chance to get out, drop me a note and maybe we can meet up somewhere.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sorry, I'll be working on Saturday, so no trips for me. Have a good time, though, and let us know what you did!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts