WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!

Cool Hammocking really isn't smart

My wife and I have been camping as long as we have been married (22 years). Mostly car camping until our son became strong enough to backpack with us about 2 years ago. We have been using really nice Big Agnes pads ($75 each), a decent 2 person tent (which by the way INCLUDES a bug net, rain fly, stakes, and shock cord) , and some cheapo ****'s version Marmot down bags ($100 each). So for about $450 we have created a fairly light, fairly comfortable trail house for two.

Then I go backpacking with some friends last winter and one of them mentions a friend of his has started using a hammock. What, like that thing I have in my back yard for summer naps? That thing with the hard ropes and the 70 pound stand? He doen't have that level of detail.

Next, some of the older Scouts in our troop start using hammocks. My son starts asking questions. I foolishly try one out on a canoe trip.

We need a new tent anyway since my son is now backpacking (no way am I carrying our 4 person car camping tent on long trips) - next thing I know I'm poking around here.

I think wow, that sounds like a great idea!

Off I go to buy not one, but two systems for my son and I (since Mom doesn't camp with the Scouts every month, she's out!).

I start looking at hammocks. First you need a hammock, then a tarp, then a bug net if you want to use it in the summer, then an underquilt if you want to use it during the rest of the year. Oh yeah, the stock suspension is way too cumbersome, so we changed over to whoopie slings 'cause they are way cool.

Before I realize it, I've spent a fair amount of cash, and the wife says "How much more?"

Well, you see, now that I'm not hiking with a pad, I need a new chair. Those Alite two legged chairs look really cool.

And by the way, since I'm now carrying an underquilt AND a sleeping bag, I'm thinking about a RIBZ pack to help with the extra volume of gear.

So of course, I have to buy that stuff too. I'm sure you guys understand.

This is dumb, I'm out of control! I have to stop.

Well, I'm feeling pretty bad about spending all of this money when we already have a really nice set up.

Until this past week-end.

The three of us went out on a three day trip. Since she doesn't have a hammock , I thought I would be nice and let my son hang and I would sleep in the tent with her.

I never realized how miserable I was on the ground until the past two nights.

No more guilt!

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a third rig...

So, no, it may not be smarter, cheaper (if you can't sew), lighter, or less bulky, but my, oh my, it sure as heck beats that hard old ground!

Hang on, brothers! Hang on!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    ....Amen!!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    You will be a happy camper the rest of your days but not satisfied, because there's another tarp or hammock or.......
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Switchback - 1.9DL, BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Oh my. Your story is touching(as a small tear runs down my cheek).

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Sleeping on the ground... is just wrong.
    "Think Outside the Tent"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Now you buy yourself the ultimate setup, and give the older one to the wifey! It goes something like this: Here honey, why don't you try this out... after she tries it and falls in love, you say... merry Christmas! It's all yours! (Now you have brownie points as well) Aren't I so nice? Now send the new gear to a P.O. box so she doesn't notice, then sneak it into the gear closet and VOILA! You can thank me later.

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    lol that sounds like me only my excuse is "wow that dutch is sure a nice guy he just keeps on sending me new dohickies" then i got a wbbb from hog tied sent to the house to try out before i bought one and "that went over well" what is this "a hammock im sopost to try out" whats wrong with the one you just bought this spring" ahhhh...

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    my wife never tested any of her new gear out period. We went car camping instead of backpacking for 4 days and nites couple of weeks ago (as she hurt her foot) and when she jumped right into the hammock on the first nite, she slept better than she ever had camping and has done nothing but praise camping and sleeping in a hammock since. She is totally sold on her setup I spent alot of money on and now wants to get out more and hammock camp..Works for me too. No more ground!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Isn't this just plain FUN ?

More gear, more gear, more gear... I'm not addicted - I can quit if I wanted to!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I took three stoves with us this week-end just to play with. Our original Jet-Boil, an alcohol burner I recently made, and a Swiss Army Volcano surplus.

Yes, we used all three.

The volcano was by far the most fun, but real slow. But who cares? That's what camping is all about for us.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast