Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I like this one pretty good. I'm not sure if it has been suggested or done before but I think I'm going to be trying these on my next trip.
    I cut these from an old Camel Back tube.

I'm not sure if it would be quite as good of a distributor as webbing but it's a great improvement over the small line.
    After putting the tube & line against the tree, the line slides freely through the tubing as adjustments are made.
    Slowhike- I love this idea. And it's not just because your another "Slow...." named person I hope you don't mind if I copy this rig. The oxygen tubing is inspired. Thanks.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Slowhike- I love this idea. And it's not just because your another "Slow...." named person I hope you don't mind if I copy this rig. The oxygen tubing is inspired. Thanks.
    Not at all. That's why I posted it, in case someone else found it worth giving a try
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    This is what I have done to help cut done on the damage done by the ridgeline sawing into the tree when tightening it. It's 16" long tubular webbing slipped over the CRL and works well to allow the line to slide threw and not cut the bark. I really want to find some smaller tubular(1/2" or 3/8") to replace the 1" I had on hand . This will go with me on my next trip to see how it works for real.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Myles, I've done the same thing...got lots of webbing (3/8?)...send me your addy.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Myles, I've done the same thing...got lots of webbing (3/8?)...send me your addy.
    PM sent. Thanks oldgringo

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    This is what I have done to help cut done on the damage done by the ridgeline sawing into the tree when tightening it. It's 16" long tubular webbing slipped over the CRL and works well to allow the line to slide threw and not cut the bark. I really want to find some smaller tubular(1/2" or 3/8") to replace the 1" I had on hand . This will go with me on my next trip to see how it works for real.
    All good stuff. Thanks for the input.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Hennessy clone
    Tarp
    Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    CCF mat
    Images
    Seems to be a general consensus here that if you don't use tree huggers/straps then you don't care for trees. I beg to differ (I know a few others have done this early in the thread but these seem to have been lost in the discussion).

There are some hikers who enjoy the challenge of reducing their carrying weigh as much as safely possible (I suspect Tinny is one of them). I am in this category. The challenge for us is how can we reduce weight without damaging the trees. But it seems to me that the issue of caring for trees has been somehow transformed into an argument for carrying tree huggers. However, there must be many ways of protecting trees.

My method is to use small twigs at small intervals under the rope (similar to Amsteel) I use. I have yet to see any damage caused to trees using this method (in fact I suspect this is more effective than even tree huggers). The trade off is that it takes me a little longer to set up but I get to carry less weight - some will be happy with this trade off (I am) while others won't. And that's fine as we all have different priorities. I'd love to hear if anyone has come up with other creative ideas for distributing load on a tree using rope - I like the one's being suggested for the tarp ridge lines.

PS: Maybe a better way of responding to Tinny would be to understand his desire to reduce weight and suggest alternative methods that improve on his method rather than criticising. Some respond well to criticism, most don't.
    "I come from a land down under, where beer does flow and men chunder" - Men at Work.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunderhang View Post
    Seems to be a general consensus here that if you don't use tree huggers/straps then you don't care for trees. I beg to differ (I know a few others have done this early in the thread but these seem to have been lost in the discussion).

There are some hikers who enjoy the challenge of reducing their carrying weigh as much as safely possible (I suspect Tinny is one of them). I am in this category. The challenge for us is how can we reduce weight without damaging the trees. But it seems to me that the issue of caring for trees has been somehow transformed into an argument for carrying tree huggers. However, there must be many ways of protecting trees.

My method is to use small twigs at small intervals under the rope (similar to Amsteel) I use. I have yet to see any damage caused to trees using this method (in fact I suspect this is more effective than even tree huggers). The trade off is that it takes me a little longer to set up but I get to carry less weight - some will be happy with this trade off (I am) while others won't. And that's fine as we all have different priorities. I'd love to hear if anyone has come up with other creative ideas for distributing load on a tree using rope - I like the one's being suggested for the tarp ridge lines.

PS: Maybe a better way of responding to Tinny would be to understand his desire to reduce weight and suggest alternative methods that improve on his method rather than criticising. Some respond well to criticism, most don't.
    It was discussed greatly and it came down to more a matter of perception. For the slight weight of tree straps (approximately 80g) the ability to hang unbothered is worth it for most people. Of course this discussion seems mostly USA centric as our parks are so heavily regulated.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    What are the real issues?

Politics: perceived or real damage to trees makes trouble for hammock campers

Weight: a pair of 8' tree straps weigh 4oz total. Longer Amsteel lines are lighter, but not zero. 4oz is hardly a show-stopper

Durability: I would rather replace tree straps than whoopie slings. If you get a nick in a small diameter line, it is pretty much toast. Hopefully you would see the damage before getting dumped on your backside.

Deployment: I think it is easer to wrap a strap around a large diameter tree and adjust it when in place.

And when it comes to carabiners:

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    +1 for both Catavarie and DaleW
    Think about the weird looks from others not familiar with Hammocking as a camping method. A lot of people don't want to and chose not to tolerate what goes against their perception, even with facts. So if we can offer a "solution" to their worries, ie: protect the trees from these hangers, so what if we carry a few extra grams. Until the perceived notion of no harm to trees is established.

Perception. For most others(not hangers) it's about perception IMO.

And myles to go: Those are sweeeeet little perception huggers for a tarp. I'm not saying....I'm just saying.
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 10-23-2011 at 02:51.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast