Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Climbing Quickdraw great quick fix to ENO Slapstrap Pros

I have the eno slap strap pros and I noticed like everyone that there is a large gap between spots to hook up the hammock. I went to backcounty gear here in eugene to check out the shop and noticed these things for climbing called Quickdraws. It was 2 carabiners and a strong piece of cloth (Dyneemas or dogbones are what they call them) a few inches long or cut to a length you wanted. I went with a pretty long piece so I could just fold over the cloth over and over again to shorten it. It was a gret fix on my trip this weeked to make my set up super tight and cozy. I am going to pick up another set up for the opposite side I think. I also noticed these things called a daisy chain that was what the slap straps should be, maybe they could be a good idea.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    OR.....tree straps and whoopie slings...less crap to carry, infinite adjustability!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    DIY Argon + DIY fronkeynet
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I would highly recommend getting two whoopie slings and some tree straps. The whoopie slings are super easy to adjust, very light and convenient, and are easy to install on an ENO double or singlenest, which I assume you have since you mentioned the SlapStraps.

Couple that with either toggles (you can those, make them easily, or some people just use sticks from around their campsites) or a couple of climbing carabiners and you are good to go. Easily adjustable, light, fast, and has loads of 'geek appeal'

For what it's worth, I bought my whoopie slings and tree straps from AHE (arrowhead equipment: http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/). They went above and beyond; the service was awesome, price was right, shipping was fast and reasonable, and the product quality is top notch.

I'll supplement my original post with this: that this is my first 'real' hammock, and I was originally kind of leery about the whoopie slings too. Look up "shug," "whoopieslings.com," or "grizzly adams" on youtube or here in the forums and you're good to go.

I like the set up I have, I personally dont like whoppie slings as much as everyone does. I understand that whoopie slings seem to be the industry standard, but I am offering a quick/cheap solution to other people who have already spent 25 dollars on a hammock hanging product (as a college student I am on a budget, the slapstraps were a gift and I have yet to have a problem minus the gap between the hangers).

I am not too worried about weight being 22 years old, 6'2'' 190 lbs and in tip top shape. I already carried the biners anyways so the 2 dollar quickdraw cloth is minuscule in weight and extremely cheap!

I use climbing quickdraws for a few things when Im backpacking now, if I dont need it for the hammock I use it to hang my pack off the wet ground, i use the extra biners to hang a stuff sack off the ground to put my shoes in, I can use the quick draw as a perfect seat belt extender for my hikin buddy tucker (my german shepherd), I used the quick draw set up with my backpacks waterproof cover as a gear sling below my hammock. I also carry extremely thin but extremely strong climbing rope and in a jam I have the ability to repel down a cliff face or tree (I repelled down a tree yesterday to test out for future emergencies).

And tree strap and whoopie slings would be the same amount of "crap" to carry

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I think its good to utilize whatever works. I've done the same in the past, using different methods beyond the "norm". One of the first things I made early on was a suspension made up of several alpine butterfly knots on some polyester rope. I like knots so I played around with my at home suspension. It's good to be reminded of one of our sayings and that is Hang Your Own Hang.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by JBAM19 View Post
    I like the set up I have, I personally dont like whoppie slings as much as everyone does. I understand that whoopie slings seem to be the industry standard, but I am offering a quick/cheap solution to other people who have already spent 25 dollars on a hammock hanging product (as a college student I am on a budget, the slapstraps were a gift and I have yet to have a problem minus the gap between the hangers).

I am not too worried about weight being 22 years old, 6'2'' 190 lbs and in tip top shape. I already carried the biners anyways so the 2 dollar quickdraw cloth is minuscule in weight and extremely cheap!

I use climbing quickdraws for a few things when Im backpacking now, if I dont need it for the hammock I use it to hang my pack off the wet ground, i use the extra biners to hang a stuff sack off the ground to put my shoes in, I can use the quick draw as a perfect seat belt extender for my hikin buddy tucker (my german shepherd), I used the quick draw set up with my backpacks waterproof cover as a gear sling below my hammock. I also carry extremely thin but extremely strong climbing rope and in a jam I have the ability to repel down a cliff face or tree (I repelled down a tree yesterday to test out for future emergencies).
    Sounds mlike a good solution to me Do whatever it takes to keep you rear off the ground!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Sounds like your idea should solve the gap problem. Unfortunately, the bigger issue with Eno Slap Straps is their stretch.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY Argon + DIY fronkeynet
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    More power to you! On revisiting this thread, I think I actually responded to the wrong one; I'm not sure what I was doing, I was pretty punchy last night after 14 hours on the job -_-

Quote Originally Posted by JBAM19 View Post

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest or GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    GoLight 3STQ & CCF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I think its good to utilize whatever works. I've done the same in the past, using different methods beyond the "norm". One of the first things I made early on was a suspension made up of several alpine butterfly knots on some polyester rope. I like knots so I played around with my at home suspension. It's good to be reminded of one of our sayings and that is Hang Your Own Hang.
    +1

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast