Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

hammock introduction & instruction

HC4U & others here at HF have talked about making video tutorials & other ways to simplify things for those who come here to learn about hammocks.
    The forums are great & i believe this has got to be the most complete collection of hammock information on earth, but undoubtedly, at least of the folks who come here for the first time will be over whelmed trying to find what they are looking for.

I'm not sure what kind of changes can be made here or what attrol would be in favor of, but I've been to other sites where the home page is fairly simple... mostly a "table of contents" made up of click-able links that will take you to other pages on the site.
    Those sites seem to be fairly easy to navigate, even for those that are not as computer savvy.

What are some other suggestions & ideas for making this collection of hammock information more user friendly??? ...Tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I would like to see a random pic on the homepage like WB. There is a lot of clodder already, but each person can close windows they don't like.

Maybe a welcome and intro as the first thing you will read.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yeah, i like the random pictures on WB too.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I would like to see a random pic on the homepage like WB.
    There is a 3-random-image section at the bottom of the main forum index.

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Maybe a welcome and intro as the first thing you will read.
    I'm working up an 'all new members read this first' type of basic info primer. I'm hoping to make it exhaustive enough to cut down on the most commonly asked newcomer questions.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Slowhike - I know you guys have talked about this before, and I think it's a great idea. Once you learn how the site is set up it's okay, but until then it's really difficult.

Example - I was making a sock last night, went to the DIY gear and couldn't find what I was looking for. I knew Skinner and started the thread, so I went to his profile and found it that way. Pretty difficult.

Tonight I have to find the thread on tarp tensioners. It will take me a while even using the search function. Everything about them will show up and you have to look at all of them to find directions. Plus, some folks may not even know what they are.

Having some new people to the site might give you some good insite. My two cents would include a section on "Getting started". Explaining the basics to be able to go out and have a safe and comfortable first hang. Hammocks, tarps, UQ/pads, how to hang, how to tie off guy lines, different types of straps, etc. List them as basic, intermediate, advanced maybe.

Then get into the "Upgrades". Skins, BB Bags, socks, etc.

I would love to see some videos made to help those of us who can't read directions, but are visual learners!

Thanks so much for thinking about this project. You are so right. There is a ton of information here, and everyone is so willing to answer our questions over and over and I for one am very appreciative.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    exactly Lost.
    for one thing, i would like to learn more about using "keywords" or any other way that a person can better zero in on a particular subject more quickly.

also, maybe angrysparrow can make mention in the article he's working on about using "google" to better search for stuff here on HF.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    also, maybe angrysparrow can make mention in the article he's working on about using "google" to better search for stuff here on HF.
    I'll make a point of it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    If you are going to write up a NooB thread, I would make the suggestion that people make their titles specific to the topic when they start threads. This way, when someone searches for a keyword using the "titles only" function, you can get to threads that are more specific to what you need.

Added: Someone suggested that Google search was better than the search on the forum page. I hate going off site to search, though, so what is the difference between using Google and the site search?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    If you are going to write up a NooB thread, I would make the suggestion that people make their titles specific to the topic when they start threads. This way, when someone searches for a keyword using the "titles only" function, you can get to threads that are more specific to what you need.
    That's an excellent point. If thread titles contained keywords it would make the advanced search of searching titles only much easier.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Someone suggested that Google search was better than the search on the forum page. I hate going off site to search, though, so what is the difference between using Google and the site search?
    Often, Google will return more specific results than the built-in forum search tool, and it's easy to target HF only.

Google for -

your-chosen-search-term site:hammockforums.net

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast