Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    SB, I don't have a lot of experience with pads in the JRB.

Bout what size are you? I am 6'1.5", 210-215 lbs. I have a self inflating Thermarest Camprest ( or something like that) which is 25" wide and 2 or 3 " thick. That is the only wide pad I have been able to try. It def holds the JRB wider apart so that my shoulders do not contact the sides of the hammock, maybe with 1/4" to spare. As you have already experienced, it also makes the hammock less stable, but still workable for me.

I recently tried a 26" wide section ( but only 20" long) of WM blue pad (the non-egg crate style) and my 1st impression was that it did not make much difference in the opening up the hammock. But maybe that was because the pad was only under my shoulders due to the short 20" length? But the wide SI definitely opens things up.

The Exped pads are 1" wider (26") in the long/wide versions. But have not tried them in a BMBH to compare for ability to add width.

What about the new 4 season Neo Air? Can they be had in a wide version?

So, that is all the experience I have with wide pads in a BMBH, not much really. I normally use my JRB MW4 UQ with the JRB Bridge, and no pad. It is not as wide as I would like, but over all I am real comfy with that combo.

So is there no place close by- with good return policies- where you can get a wide SI Thermarest ( or even a wide Exped) and give it a try before you hit the trail?

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    BillyBob58 - Thanks for your input. Looks like I'm still hunting the answer.

One thing I'm finding, beyond my comments in my original post, with the SI's is they are rather heavy & even more disconcerting, don't pack down very well. Even though the blow-ups can be a pain, especially breaking/setting up camp every night after a long day, I sure do like the packability both in weight & size. Still need to know if they work in the air as well as they do on the ground as far as R/temp' ratings.

Bout what size are you?
    5'9" & down to 230# from 255# - still working on it slow & steady but yeah.

So is there no place close by- with good return policies
    Unfortunately no and I don't visit the city very often anymore as it's about 100miles one way and no longer fun to visit. The internet is a God's send for my spending habits Forgive me Lord I meant no dishonor & hope you appreciate the humor.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

I don't have a BMBH, but I like my Exped DAM9 in my DIY bridges. It has an integrated pump, so no blowing. Packs fairly small (usually I roll it loosely, put it in my dry bag and then open it up to line the inside of the dry bag and pack other stuff inside the tube formed by the DAM). It is one of the warmest based on R value. But it is also one of the heavier air mattresses. Can't have everything.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Ya know BER the Exped DAM9 is one I was liking. With a weight of 44oz & pack size of 7'x11' very doable & that R8 rating is phenomenal. Unfortunately the price tag of $200. but it's still in the running. I'm kinda still leaning towards the BA at half the price & only 15degF higher temp rating.

Big question for you BER is, drum roll please, have you had the chance to see if that temp' rating holds in mid-air? If these pads will deliver they're stated rating I'd go for the BA but if they run colder in the bridge I might have to cough up for the Exped DAM9. It gets colder in Northern AZ than many think but it's not the summits & definitely not Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
    Big question for you BER is, drum roll please, have you had the chance to see if that temp' rating holds in mid-air? If these pads will deliver they're stated rating I'd go for the BA but if they run colder in the bridge I might have to cough up for the Exped DAM9. It gets colder in Northern AZ than many think but it's not the summits & definitely not Wisconsin.
    Nope. Have yet to do a full on winter hang (or even a late fall hang). My wife and I used to use the BA IAC mats on the ground. The Exped DAM9 was a NICE step up in warmth and comfort. We've ground camped down into the low 20's with both.

I only get to hang when I go out alone, which isn't very often.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    BER - I only get to hang when I go out alone, which isn't very often.
    Um, I think snuggling changes the dynamics a bit

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I've done nights between 5 and 10 below freezing with my Downmat 9 with no problem at all.

And just this weekend I did three nights at 4 below with the SynMat 7 UL, and it was borderline (no actual coldspots, but not completely cozy either), so I slapped on my 3 season Mt Washington on the last night. Halfway through the night I had to get up and get some air because I was too hot.

I prefer the Exped blowups because I can go to ground if I have to, but mostly because like Billybob said it pushes out the sides of the BMBH and reduces the shoulder squeeze. It gets wobblier when your center of gravity goes up a few inches, but it's a learning curve, I don't even think about it now.

The DownMat 9 is twice the volume (maybe even 3 times?) packed as the SynMat 7 UL, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with the DownMat. Totally worth the money, IMO.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    I've done nights between 5 and 10 below freezing with my Downmat 9 with no problem at all.
    So minus 5 or 10 Celsius, or in the mid teens Fahrenheit?

And just this weekend I did three nights at 4 below with the SynMat 7 UL, and it was borderline (no actual coldspots, but not completely cozy either), so I slapped on my 3 season Mt Washington on the last night. Halfway through the night I had to get up and get some air because I was too hot.

So that is 4 below freezing? Or - 4 Celsius or ~ 25F?

I prefer the Exped blowups because I can go to ground if I have to, but mostly because like Billybob said it pushes out the sides of the BMBH and reduces the shoulder squeeze.
    OK, there ya go, SB, it sounds like the Exped blowups do a good job of holding the hammock "open", much like my 25" wide SI does.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Fantastic, thanks guys.

I plan on a DIY UQ soon which will only cost me $30. and be relatively light & packable. Unless someone posts "No don't do it" I'm thinking the BA insulated core LW which I can get for $90-$110. shipped. I should be able to get the UQ done long before I see temps below freezing so together will be plenty warm for less than any of the other choices.

I'll be posting the adventure of the DIY underquilt for under $30. when I'm done.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    <Temp conversions>
    This is correct.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast