WB Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    down mat
    Suspension
    Whoopies dutch bu

Prussic for suspension on an HH

I have several HH's and really dont want to remove the rope that comes on it but I do want to make it quicker to setup ,adjust and less to carry. I saw in Grizz's vid that he no longer recommends using descender rings with 4mm or smaller cord so I am considering making a very short continuous loop of amstel to tie a prussic onto the HH lines. The other end of the prussic is looped over a Marlin spike hitch. This would let me use the lines that come on the HH and make adjusting very easy for my daughter and not worrying about constrictor slipping.

All that is needed is:

6' tree straps for marlin spike hitch

5' of amstel blue

added to the HH of your choice.

I did some test hangs with some leftover prussic rope I had from a rescue class and everything looks good ,but the question is has anyone done this before and how did it affect the spectra lines on the HH after a few hangs?

Any problems you can see that I may have not thought about?

The prussic rope I have is 7mm and used for rescue. Over kill for a hammock and heavier than amstel. What dia of amstel would be recommended for use in hanging a hammock in this fashion?

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    IF or WHEN you get tired of those "ropes' coming out of your HH there is several vids around to show you how to do that and just how easy it is. I haven't done mine yet, but see it coming in the near future. There are so many better methods to use than those ropes. That being said, they are still a great setup, just not fast/convenient.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    have you thought about using a clove hitch to tie descender rings close to the hammock body and using long 1" webbing as the hugger and suspension?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    down mat
    Suspension
    Whoopies dutch bu
    Quote Originally Posted by easyriver View Post
    IF or WHEN you get tired of those "ropes' coming out of your HH there is several vids around to show you how to do that and just how easy it is. I haven't done mine yet, but see it coming in the near future. There are so many better methods to use than those ropes. That being said, they are still a great setup, just not fast/convenient.
    Been using the HH as it comes from the factory for a few years but never had an issue with the spectra ropes, just the tying off was slow. With the prussic attached to the spectra ropes its just as fast as anything else and maybe even faster. throw a 6' tree strap around a tree, tie a marlin spike hitch, hang hammock , repeat other end and slide prussics to get the hang you want.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    have you thought about using a clove hitch to tie descender rings close to the hammock body and using long 1" webbing as the hugger and suspension?
    I used the descender rings on the homemade hammocks and it works well. Just not wanting to remove the spectra from the hammock since I paid for it.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I would not cut it. At least not right away. OTOH the rings and long hugggers would simplify the setup.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I've used 7/64th amsteel in a continuous loop as a prussik with the current HH spectra. Held me well. No slippage. And no noticeable damage to the spectra. However, after a few nights out, I got tired of how well the amsteel bit into the spectra (became a pain to loosen and adjust quickly on the fly). Went back to rings for a bit (not much better IMO) and now to amsteel whoopies.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    down mat
    Suspension
    Whoopies dutch bu
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I've used 7/64th amsteel in a continuous loop as a prussik with the current HH spectra. Held me well. No slippage. And no noticeable damage to the spectra. However, after a few nights out, I got tired of how well the amsteel bit into the spectra (became a pain to loosen and adjust quickly on the fly). Went back to rings for a bit (not much better IMO) and now to amsteel whoopies.
    Dragon did you use 2 or 3 loops on your prussic?

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 w/footbox and zip bugnet
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    i know you said you dont waant to remove the stock rope on your hennessy but just food for thought. I switched my HH over to amsteel whoopies. It took me all of about 5-7 minutes. I just watched a video. then did it . Was pretty quick and easy.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlandHorde View Post
    i know you said you dont waant to remove the stock rope on your hennessy but just food for thought. I switched my HH over to amsteel whoopies. It took me all of about 5-7 minutes. I just watched a video. then did it . Was pretty quick and easy.

I did the same and it was quite simple and the HH looks as it did from the factory albeit a Whoopie sling vs cord from the gathered end.

• + New Posts