Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Doing a bit of digging, I was looking at starting at Deep Creek and hiking less than five miles up to campsite 57 or 58. 57 is a reserved site, so 58 would be a good fall back.
    That section of Deep Creek presents several miles of streams that would offer browns and rainbows in the lower areas and natives higher up.
    That areas should be enough of a hike to thwart most day anglers, and the stream drops into a gorge away from the trail for a good section as well.

I've been having most of my luck using orange attractors so far. I've had some luck with some nymphs and terrestrials as well.

It would be nice to get camping site 57 as that was Horace Kephart's old stomping ground. If a few people show some interest, I'll see if that site is available that weekend.

We'd probably be hiking a total of ten miles not including fishing.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Nov 4,5,6 right? If so looks like I'm back in the Smokies

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Nov 4,5,6 right? If so looks like I'm back in the Smokies
    Sounds good. I will wait until Monday morning to see if anyone else is interested. Since 57 is a reserved spot, I'll need to call it in Monday to see if there are openings.
    If 57 is full or does not have enough spots, we can just use 58 and register at the trailhead.

Images
    Can you add me to the list? If my six year old won't lend me his Spiderman Zebco, I may just do a little "basecamp dayhiking".

Perhaps by then you can give us your answer to Aces'Wild question from the E TN hang: catfish, bass, trout?

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    If memory serves me correct, there's an alternative site between 57 and 58 thanes tucked away near the creek. We ran into some guys that fish there every year for 2-3 days and they had the most success from 57 on down. They've been fishing deep creek for over 20 years.

The hike in from deep creek campground is easy with just one big hump to go over.

The Italian place in Bryson is a great place to eat after you get off the trail.
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peg-Leg View Post
    If memory serves me correct, there's an alternative site between 57 and 58 thanes tucked away near the creek. We ran into some guys that fish there every year for 2-3 days and they had the most success from 57 on down. They've been fishing deep creek for over 20 years.

The hike in from deep creek campground is easy with just one big hump to go over.

The Italian place in Bryson is a great place to eat after you get off the trail.
    Thanks for the intel. There are several sites between 60 and 57. I figured 57 or 58 would put us within range of brooks and browns. 60 would be mostly browns and rainbows, and above 57 would be mostly brooks.
    Now if only the park permitted night fishing.... I've heard some pretty outrageous stuff about using a "mouse fly" at night. That's when the big ones feed.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Can you add me to the list? If my six year old won't lend me his Spiderman Zebco, I may just do a little "basecamp dayhiking".

Perhaps by then you can give us your answer to Aces'Wild question from the E TN hang: catfish, bass, trout?
    You're welcome to come. There are plenty of loop hikes to be found in that area, and it's not an area that folks from Tennessee visit very often.

Just don't scare all the fish away with that Zebco!

As far as the unanswered question goes.... I'm pretty comfortable in saying that some things you just don't do with a fish!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post

As far as the unanswered question goes.... I'm pretty comfortable in saying that some things you just don't do with a fish!
    What happens in Horse Creek stays in Horse Creek...

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Just to bump this up, if anyone else is interested, let me know. I plan on trying to reserve some spot at campsite 57 Wednesday. If that one doesn't have enough slots, we can fall back to site 58 which only requires a registration and not a reservation.
    Looking forward to get a nice hike in and some quality flyfishing combined with a couple of good nights in a hammock.

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

just one ridge over

Hope you guys have a great trip. I will be just one or two ridges to your west from Nov 4th-8th. My buddies and I are heading down for our annual backpacking trip. Were starting at Clingman's and looping down Forney Ridge, Welch Ridge, through the road to nowhere and then back up along Noland Creek and Noland Divide. With all the double backs and side loops it will be about 55 miles total.

I have often thought about planning in a rest day on one of my smokies bp trips to dip a pole. Sounds like fun to me, though I would probably have to bring my sons spiderman rod and spinners..... never done the fly fishing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast