Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Homemade Tarp-Heating Wood Stove Instructions

Several people have asked about the TiGoat knock-off wood burning stove that I made, so here some instructions.

Materials: You can use stainless steel or titanium to make the stove. Stainless is cheaper, weighs more, and is a bit easier to come by.
    Titanium is lighter, stronger, more expensive, and harder to find.

The ends of the stove are simply 7.5" stainless or titanium dinner plates.
    Stainless plates weigh 4.4 ounces each and are available here: http://www.rei.com/product/638785/msr-mountain-plate
    Titanium plates weigh 2 ounces each and are available here: http://www.rei.com/product/720285/sn...titanium-plate

REI has a sale on now where you can save 20%. At the sale price, two stainless plates will cost you about $18.00, and two titanium plates will cost you about $29.00. As you can see, titanium is half the weight of stainless, but 1.5 times the cost.

The body of the stove and the stove pipe are made from metal shim stock. Again, you can go with either stainless shim stock or titanium for both, or either. More on the stove body, below.

Stainless stove pipe material can be purchased from Titanium Goat, or you can buy metal shim stock from McMaster/Carr. I originally bought a 12" wide roll of the stainless shim stock from McMaster/Carr in .004" thickness, but you can get it from Titanium Goat by the foot for $5.50/foot and it weighs 2.6oz./foot.

You can also buy 12" wide titanium shim stock from TiGoat for $15.00/foot and it weighs 1.85oz./foot.

The shim stock is used for two things-to make the stove pipe, and to make the round body of the stove.

First, you will need to decide how long you want your stove pipe. A good rule of thumb is to have your stove pipe stick up at least two feet above the highest part of the roof of your shelter so that sparks do not fall down and burn holes in the roof, or worse yet, start it on fire. So, you need to pitch your shelter, determine the highest part (usually the ridge) and measure two feet above it. That will determine the length of your stove pipe. You can have a stove pipe that is too long, but you don't want one that is too short, for obvious reasons. Just remember, the longer you go, the more the pipe will weigh. Mine is 8' long, and I went with the stainless to save money.

For your stove pipe, you will also need two 3" stainless collars, which can be puchased from TiGoat. You can also buy 3" wire rings from TiGoat and should purchase one ring for each foot of stove pipe. For my eight foot pipe, I have two collars and 6 rings(no ring needed on either end of the pipe because that is where the collars go).

To make the stove pipe, you roll out your shim stock the long way. For my eight foot pipe, I used an 8' long piece of 12" wide shim stock. The shim stock comes rolled in a 12" long tube, so you will have to roll it out the long ways until it is stretched out to its 8' length. It helps to have two people when you do this because the shim stock has a memory and will want to roll up behind you. Once you have the shim stock rolled out, you want to use a piece of 2-3" diameter plastic pipe that is close to the length of your stove pipe to roll the shim stock around for the first time. The shim stock will be a bit stiff, but if you are careful, you can roll it around the plastic pipe without kinking it, into a neat tube about 3" in diameter and however long your stove pipe will be. The 12" wide shim stock will roll into a 3" diameter stove pipe with an inch or more of overlap, which you want because that is how the seam on the pipe seals itself.

Once you have the shim stock rolled into a 3" diameter tube, slip a 3" collar on each end. Then you begin slipping the 3" diameter wire rings over the pipe and spreading them out about a foot apart. The last thing you do is slide the plastic pipe out of the finished metal stove pipe. Because the pipe is not welded along the seam, you will want to be careful handling it because it will twist and turn into a long, narrow cone. The most important thing is to burn the pipe in once you have it assembled for the first time because once the pipe has been subjected to heat, it will take a memory along its long length, and will be much easier to assemble the next time you roll it out. By burning the pipe in, I mean you put it on the stove and start a hot fire to heat the pipe up.

You can go without a damper, but my stove does not have a draft control on the end, so without a damper there is no way to control the intensity of the fire in your stove. TiGoat sells a pre-made damper on their site for $25.00 and I bought one to use with my stove. Having the damper allows you to damp your stove back and reduce the rate at which fuel is used and the amount of heat that is output. Remember, you may have your stove near a tent wall and too much heat near a nylon tent wall is not a good thing.

Now for the body of the stove. I made a long and a short body. One is 12" long and the other is 22" long, or about two feet. For the short one, I used a piece of 12" stainless shim stock that was 30" long. This time you will roll the shim stock along its 12" length to create a 7.5" diameter tube that is 12" long. The dinner plates slip into each end of this tube, which is why the tube is about 7.5" in diameter. The reason you need 30" is that is the circumferance of a
    7.5" circle(outside diameter of the dinner plates), with about 6-7" of overlap. Again, since this is not a welded tube, you want the overlap to seal the tube and also, if you position the overlap on the bottom of the stove when you assemble it, you will wind up with a double bottom, where your stove is most likely to burn through.

Like the stove pipe, you need some way to hold the stove body in a tube to keep it from unrolling, and so you can slip the dinner plates in the end. I used stainless fishing leader wire(American Fishing Wire-Surfstrand 1x7, 90lb test, AFW, Valley Twnsp. PA) to make wire hoops just slightly larger than the outside of my stove body. I use two hoops on the short stove, and three on the long stove, spacing them a few inches apart once they are slipped over the tube. The stainless leader wire is relatively cheap, and you can buy matching metal sleeves(AFW #3 sleeve for the 90lb test wire) to join the ends of the wire hoops by crimping them with a pliers.

Instead of buying 3" wire hoops from TiGoat for my stove pipe, I make them from the stainless leader wire. They are lighter and cheaper.

I also use the stainless leader wire for another purpose. If you look at the cylinder stove on TiGoats website, you will see that they use rigid threaded rods legthwise down the sides of the stove body cylinder to hold the endcaps in place. http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

Not having a source of titanium or stainless threaded rods, I came up with two alternatives, one which I have used on my stoves, and one which I have yet to try. The one which I have yet to try is to purchase stainless or titanium bicycle spokes to use in place of the threaded rods. One end of the spoke is already threaded and the other end can be cut to length and either threaded or bent to fit through a hole drilled in the edge of the dinner plate. I have not used the spokes.

Instead, I drilled 4 holes in the edge of each dinner plate. Two holes are drilled a few inches apart along the edge of the plate that will be at the top of the stove, and two are drilled along the edge of the plate that will be along the bottom of the stove. The holes are not spaced evenly around the plates. Instead, the top two holes are closer together than the bottom two holes, for reasons that I will now explain.

I take my stainless leader wire and I make up 8 leaders with loops on both ends. One leader goes through each hole on the outside edge of the dinner plates. Each plate winds up with 4 leaders attached to it, one through each of the 4 holes previously drilled in the edge of each plate. Each leader has a small loop on each end. When I snap the dinner plates into the cylinder body of the stove, I leave the wire leaders on the outside. The holes in the dinner plates are drilled in the same location on each plate, so that when the plates are snapped in place on the stove body, the holes for each plate match up opposite one another. The ends of the leaders from each plate will not reach each other, and there is a gap of about 4" between the ends.

I then hook a small aluminum or stainless turnbuckle into the end of each leader and join the ends of the leaders with the turnbuckles. By tightening the turnbuckles, I pull the plates into the ends of the stove and everything goes together drum tight once the turnbuckles have been tightened down.

There are a few more steps. You need a hinged door in one end of the stove. I used titanium plates to make my stove. I could have cut the door with a saw (a jewelers saw would probably work best) but I was afraid I would bend the edge of the cut all up in the process. Instead of a saw, I used a razor knife to score the edge of the door into the surface of the plate. It took me about 4 blades to cut the door in the titanium plate, but when I was done I had a door that fit perfectly and was almost air tight.

I then bought a small piece of stainless piano hinge and cut it to fit the edge of the door. To make the door fit as tight as possible, I laid it back into the original opening and then drilled holes to mount the piano hinge using small stainless rivets. You could probably use the door without a latch, but I made one using a Ti tent stake, as will be shown in the photos to follow.

You also need to drill draft holes in the end plate. I spaced mine below the door evenly around the edge of the plate, using a 3/8" drill.

Lastly, you need to assemble the whole stove and mark the opening for the stove pipe. The dinner plates are mounted with their depression facing the inside of the stove. That way the lip on the edge of the plate serves as a place for the stove body to fit into. You cannot cut the hole for the stove pipe at the very edge of the cylinder because the pipe will hit the inside edge of the dinner plate once it is inserted into the stove. You need to measure the depression in the plate and then add about a 1/4" and hold back from the edge of the cylinder by that amount (depression measure + 1/4").

For my 22" stove, I bought a piece of titanium foil from TiGoat. http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html
    I bought a piece 22" wide x 30" long. It is sold in 6" increments, so mine cost me $70.00. This is rolled along the 30" length to make a 7.5" diameter, 22" long cylinder. Endcaps are snapped in place for this stove the same as the shorter one.

I will post some photos in a subsequent post which will hopefully make this all more understandable.
    Last edited by rbinhood; 10-14-2011 at 06:33.

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Picture of buring stove at night and picture of finished stove. On the finished stove in the second picture, you can see two of the four turnbuckles used to tighten the leader wires. I spaced the top two wires so that a pot would sit flat on top of the stove, with the pot's edges supported by the wires and the turnbuckles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rbinhood; 10-14-2011 at 09:57.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Looks like a cool project! I have been thinking about making something like this for a while...you may have just gave me the extra push!
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great job on posting instructions.
    I think i may have seen your stove on Zombiesquad or maybe bushcraft usa.
    Good job.
    I have a couple of questions.
    1- how long does it take you to assemble the stove and pipe??
    2- and What did it end up costing you if you don't mind my asking.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Assembly time and cost

I can put the stove together in about 5 minutes. A little longer with gloves on.

Total cost of large stove with Ti body & stainless stove pipe= approx. $180.00

Ti foil=$70.00
    Ti Plates= $30.00
    Damper= $25.00
    Hinge=$5.00
    Turnbuckles=$8.00
    Stainless shim stock=$40.00
    Leader wire=$4.00

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    Also if you dont mind: any idea of the total weight?

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    This is great. I have looked at the TI Goat stoves over the last year, but could never actually buy. I may have to gather materials and build one.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Stove Cost

Something to think about. You can get the entire 22" Ti stove from Titanium Goat with the more expensive and lighter Ti stove pipe for $325.00. This is for an 8' stove pipe, and includes a nice bag to store it all in. Unless you figure your time as free, the TiGoat stove is a very good deal.

Building the stove is not hard, but it's also not easy, and it will take you several hours to do it right. One tricky part is cutting the hole in the stove body for the stove pipe because the body is not flat, it's a cylinder, which means when you match the round stove pipe up to it, the hole where they intersect is an oval. The hole must be cut very precise, otherwise smoke will leak out at the junction. If it's too small, forcing the stove pipe into the hole will distort and bend the body of the stove.

I have not weighed my stove. According to TiGoat's website, the 22" stove with a 7' Ti pipe weighs about 2lbs. You can add about 10oz. to that weight for a stove with a stainless steel pipe.

This is a specialty item for those people who feel they must have a heated shelter. Obviously, it's a nice guilty pleasure if you are camping in very cold conditions, but for the price of the stove, you can buy a top quality down quilt or under-quilt. Also, the stove will not burn all night. I can get about a 3-4 hour burn time in mine with good hardwood and the stove dampered back. If you want all night heat, you will have to get up at least once to stoke the stove. Also, burning a fire, even in a stove, inside of a tent or under a tarp is not a risk free proposition. More than one person has lit their shelter on fire, which would not be a good thing in the middle of the night, where you might lose all of your gear and be put in a real life or death survival situation.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Tinny over at MBD experimented with something like this based on a mini-beer-keg for the stove body. Those things are pretty sturdy Aluminium, but I guess burnout could be a problem over time.

Have you considered using one of them?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Cool Rbinhood !

Very nice instructions.

And you're right, using a stove in a tent isn't for everyone and should be approached with great care.

Also, makers like TiGoat have very nice products and this is a diy that isn't even close to cheap...

Thanks for the info
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast