Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images

Insulation Information

So I'm trying to accumulate as much information as I can on the insulations that we love, we hate, we love to hate, and we hate to love. I've been researching as much as I can but I think I've reached the limits of my searchfu. I've searched here and the BPL forums, and I can't seem to come up with any other information. So I'm opening up a google document with all the information that I've been able to piece together thus far and hoping that better informed and more knowledgeable people can help fill in all the many gaps I'm sure are there. I would love if this could become a great source of all the various insulations, so that when someone has a question they could easily look it up.

Of course this is not an entirely selfless act, I'm looking for more information so that I too can be better informed.

Insulation Information Document
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Nice start, I already learned something. Do you want to add stabilization information like quilting requirements?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I hadn't thought of that, but it would be a great idea. I'm wanting to get as much information in one place as I can. It's all out there somewhere, just spread out everywhere, I'm hoping to consolidate.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Cataverie- this is great, thank you!

One small comment: on the Climashield & PrimaLoft ratings, maybe make a note that the temperature expectations are for one layer of each given weight/yard. Or combine those two separate tables into one that allows for an easy visual comparison.

It would also be fun to build a material/weight/loft/temperature/price widget where you could plug in a couple items (Climashield, 2.5oz) and get back "Expected Loft = 1.3", Expected Temp 45*, approx $7.00/yd." I may be getting ahead of yourself....

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Just wanted to give this a little bump, now that everyone is back from the weekend hangs.

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I think is a great idea.
    Definitely a good start!
    I already used some of the calculations to figure out what I needed for my UQ.

You might try contacting Wiggy at www.wiggys.com if you want an earful of information on insulation materials...! He's very opinionated about this subject, that's for sure. He invented an insulating material years ago that he believes is far superior to any other man-made material out there and even better than down (due to wetness and repeated compression issues) but I'll leave it up to you to make your own judgement. It would be an education in any event, that's for sure. Most of the stuff they make is made for arctic conditions.

His website also has an archive of newsletters (upper right of main page) where he talks about insulations and issues around it if you just want to do some interesting reading without direct communication at first. He pulls no punches, the way he writes about competitors materials.

I purchased a sleeping bag from him just over 10 years ago and it's still like new after many uses and washings. I once contacted him about purchasing some of his insulation material but didn't go through with the project at the time and never bothered to get a price for it. I'm sure it's still possible to buy it directly from him if anyone cares to ask for it. Expect to hear back via phone if you include a number in your email He did that the two times I ever wrote to ask a question and I'm not used to a company owner responding directly EVER nor QUICKLY as he did!

I can honestly say that it's a very good product and I would buy from him again. It does not compress quite as well as down (maybe 80%?) but I never worry about water-based degredation of insulation quality. It's just like wool in that respect. In fact, I would trust it over Down insulation in a life-threatening situation for that reason alone.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Ou have probably already found this source, but if not, search Richard Nisley's threads on BPL. He's the Wizard of Oz on insulations.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts