Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I suspect that there are two classes pf product. If there is a mass merchandising possibility then there is a mass copy possibility and a patent may be justified. If the market is small and specialized one cannot justify the cost of a patent but the incentive generally is not there to copy it. This is particularly true if it takes access to expensive equipment to make it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have several patents, and have consulted with some very expensive patent attorneys. I am not going to give legal advice. I do know the difference between a design patent and a method patent. A design patent is relatively easy to get. It is intended to cover the design appearance and unique details of a product (think about the decorative brace on a saxophone between the bell and the body tube). That patent is quite specific to that product type.

The method patent is supposed to be a unique innovation. A new idea. I have been told that both prior art and obviousness will prevent examiners from granting a method patent. As others have pointed out, you may have a basic new idea, and another entity can incorporate your idea with a wrinkle, obtaining a new patent. That is like person 1 inventing a pencil, and person 2 adding an eraser. Neither can sell a pencil with eraser without infringing on the other patent. However, the litigation can be quite expensive, so wealthy entities can intimidate poor entities.