WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Sometimes, when I know a person isn't stupid, I just let them have enough rope to hang themselves and see where they end up with it. Of course I'm always hpping my acessment is correct and they won't actually hang themselves, sometimes they surprise me with a new idea I had not thought of yet.

That being said, I am yet to be impressed with Tinny's hammock camping techniques.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    For someone who's spent zero nights sleeping in a hammock while actually hiking, Tinny speaks on his videos with a surprising amount of expertise.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I think Tinny's selection and idea of using multi layers of IX for a pad is brilliant.
    What are the biggest complains we pad users have?
    CCF pads(WW Blue, Insolite, etc) are stiff, slide around in the hammock, bulky and don't pack well.

IX is very flexible, molding to your body more when you lay on it. This would keep it from moving around so much.
    IX's flexibility allows it to be folded and packed smaller.

I for one, look forward to Tinny's video on his final design of the IX multi layer hammock pad.

O&B
    ... ok lets look at what he is trying to do
    make a pad out of IX first off it will be just like any other pad out there in a few ways
    it will NOT breathe ... condensation will become a problem at some point
    it WILL NOT pack down small...anyone that has played with IX will tell you an 8 layer pad 40x60 is not going to pack down small at all so it will also be a bulky as a pad and another draw back will be if you can't fit it in your pack
    and it gets wet you now have a wet pad
    also 8 layers of IX that size is going to be around a pound in weight
    his pad now is over 8oz and he wants to dlb it's size...do the math
    8 layers only got him to 55F... how many will it take to get him to 32F?

now an UQ made out of IX....
    will breathe batter due to airflow against it since it's outside the hammock
    will pack down smaller then a pad since it's 1/3 the IX
    don't need to fight to stay on it
    will be 1/3 the weight around 6-8oz depending on the size
    2-3 layers will keep most users warm around 32F

what sounds better?

again this had been done before there is a reason many of us know what the outcome is

i'm all for innovation but don't try to re-invent the wheel... make a better bearing
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    you know, Columbus "found" a new world and called it his own, look where he is now, he even gets his own day once a year.

On the other hand, the treatment of Gearjunkieitis is playing around and tweaking, or not playing around and a different tweaking

Not sure where i'm going with this, these are the things going through my head, time to go burn something!!
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    ... ok lets look at what he is trying to do
    make a pad out of IX first off it will be just like any other pad out there in a few ways
    it will NOT breathe ... condensation will become a problem at some point
    it WILL NOT pack down small...anyone that has played with IX will tell you an 8 layer pad 40x60 is not going to pack down small at all so it will also be a bulky as a pad and another draw back will be if you can't fit it in your pack
    and it gets wet you now have a wet pad
    also 8 layers of IX that size is going to be around a pound in weight
    his pad now is over 8oz and he wants to dlb it's size...do the math
    8 layers only got him to 55F... how many will it take to get him to 32F?

now an UQ made out of IX....
    will breathe batter due to airflow against it since it's outside the hammock
    will pack down smaller then a pad since it's 1/3 the IX
    don't need to fight to stay on it
    will be 1/3 the weight around 6-8oz depending on the size
    2-3 layers will keep most users warm around 32F

what sounds better?

again this had been done before there is a reason many of us know what the outcome is

i'm all for innovation but don't try to re-invent the wheel... make a better bearing
    Your argument is pad vs UQ

I'm stating that multiple layers of IX used as a pad is a better choice over stiffer WW type CCF's for reasons I've already stated above.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    This video offers no new information. He spends most of it patting himself on the back for inventing the idea of a backless sleeping bag. That idea has been around for quite a while. Big Agnes built an entire company on this concept. (So has hammockgear.com and jacksrbetter to a certain extent.) The rest of the video says that underquilts (the most tested and popular hammock insulation) don't work. The problem with that assertion is that he offers no data to back up his claims and he doesn't offer any new alternatives. Sleeping on some type of insulating material, whether it be pad or insultex has been tried every which way. Car reflectors, segmented pad extenders, wally world foam, yoga mats, reflectix etc.... I agree that someone might come up with a better mousetrap at some point, but this ain't it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Tinny doesn't seem to be the kind of person who just take what someone's word as to how something works. He has, many times, had to eat crow in his presentations of various topics, some that he has no experience with. BUT... given time, he works it out in his own head through those experiences. Although this can be very annoying, especially when it is recurring, I have respect for anyone who challenges common logic. Innovation comes from observing flaws in that logic and finding better ways.
    The subject of the UQ and what is right for him or any other person is completly subjective. He will come to realize, through his experience only, what will work for HIM when it comes to the insulation. He does make great stoves though!!!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Your argument is pad vs UQ

I'm stating that multiple layers of IX used as a pad is a better choice over stiffer WW type CCF's for reasons I've already stated above.
    and as i stated 8+ layers of IX will not pack down smaller then a pad... and will weight more then most pads

you also stated it will be more flexible this may be true but your off about the rest...
    i just went down and got IX out of my fabric bin i made a 8 layer pad 8inch wide by 36inch long and at that sizes it packs down the same size as a 1L Nalgene bottle .... and thats only a fraction of a size of the one he plans to make .... it's going to be a big bulky pad when it's done
    the point is IX works best when you let "Air gaps" catch hot air in between layers....
    so your saying a big bulky pad made out of IX is better then a UQ made out of 1/3 the IX and 1/3 the weight and packs down 1/3 the size ?
    to me thats not brilliant it's a step back

I will also add ... thing of the cost as well
    think 4 yards to make a UQ... about Dbl that to make a pad so he made a $50 pad that packs down no smaller then a $6 wallyworld pad and weights more

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    He just likes to try new ideas. If you don't like what he says don't watch.
    Maybe he didn't know of the sleeping bags that currently do what hes thinking?
    Not everyone is as aware of all the current products out there.
    After about the 5th round it just sounds like you need something to complain about to make your day complete.
    I hope he does come up with something better than an UQ but until then!
    I treat his videos as a blog that he shares his own thoughts in.

Its not worth all the effort to put him down on a public forum.
    So I say go Tinny go!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    here is a pic of the 8x36 8 layer IX pad i whipped up folded up next to a Nalgene bottle...

this should tell you that a 40x60 pad made the same way will be big and bulky
    just like a $6 wally world pad
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast