Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Questions about JRB 11x10

Looking at the info at the JRB site, I see this: "The 10 foot sides have dual catenary cut edges". Is this a typo? Did they mean on the 11 foot sides? It doesn't look to me like the short edges have cat cuts, but then again the cuts on the 11 foot sides are subtle and not really easy to see until you tighten up. Since I have not pitched on the 10 foot RL, maybe I just have not been able to see the cat cuts. But I suspect Jack's meant "The 11 foot sides have dual catenary cut edges"?

Also, it says this: "The JRB 11'x 10' Cat Tarp is made out of 1.1 oz. silicon impregnated ripstop nylon cordura® ". Is this somehow dif from the sil-nylon that the other tarps are made of? Or are they all "cordura"? If they are not, is there an advantage to this fabric?

So what about somewhat closing the ends when pitched on the 11 foot RL, in a sort of SWT style? Can it be done? I'm thinking
    A: grip clip about half way between middle guy out and end guy out, and stake to ground with this grip clip.
    B: run a thin cord from grip clip to RL end guy out point loop
    C: take the normal end guy out points and stake them to the center somewhat "closing the doors".

Would this work? Is there an easier way without need of grip clip or extra cordage? Some one mentioned using the extra loop on the center of the short edges on the end to pull the top together beak style. Has any body tried this? Are you still able to stake that end in a useful way if the top opening is some what pulled closed?

I'll be experimenting with all of this tonight or tomorrow, but just thought I would ask first in case some one has already done the work/experimentation for me.
    Bill

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Looking at the info at the JRB site, I see this: "The 10 foot sides have dual catenary cut edges". Is this a typo? Did they mean on the 11 foot sides? It doesn't look to me like the short edges have cat cuts, but then again the cuts on the 11 foot sides are subtle and not really easy to see until you tighten up. Since I have not pitched on the 10 foot RL, maybe I just have not been able to see the cat cuts. But I suspect Jack's meant "The 11 foot sides have dual catenary cut edges"?

Also, it says this: "The JRB 11'x 10' Cat Tarp is made out of 1.1 oz. silicon impregnated ripstop nylon cordura® ". Is this somehow dif from the sil-nylon that the other tarps are made of? Or are they all "cordura"? If they are not, is there an advantage to this fabric?

So what about somewhat closing the ends when pitched on the 11 foot RL, in a sort of SWT style? Can it be done? I'm thinking
    A: grip clip about half way between middle guy out and end guy out, and stake to ground with this grip clip.
    C: take the normal end guy out points and stake them to the center somewhat "closing the doors".

Would this work? Is there an easier way without need of grip clip or extra cordage? Some one mentioned using the extra loop on the center of the short edges on the end to pull the top together beak style. Has any body tried this? Are you still able to stake that end in a useful way if the top opening is some what pulled closed?

I'll be experimenting with all of this tonight or tomorrow, but just thought I would ask first.
    Bill
    i am completely disapointed with the tarp,i wish i had not bought it, neo
    the matrix has you

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i am completely disapointed with the tarp,i wish i had not bought it, neo
    So you must be about to sell it?

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs down

I'll be experimenting with all of this tonight or tomorrow, but just thought I would ask first in case some one has already done the work/experimentation for me.
    Bill
    mine is rip stop
    dont even look like it is sinylon,about the worrst tarp i have ever had,worst tarp i have ever had is the jrb 7 x 7 tarp they toot as the 8 x 8 tarp. neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i used silnet seam sealer on the seam,and i added ed speer spectra no tangle guy lines. neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    its not even really silnylon neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    How has this been determined? I'd be interested to know if this is the case.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    How has this been determined? I'd be interested to know if this is the case.
    I'm hoping the Jack's or some one will be able to answer some of these questions I posted at the start of this thread. My tarp, which measures 11x10, weighs only about 18 ozs. So it most likely is some form of Sil-nylon. A tarp that large would weigh a couple of pounds or more if made of more typical tarp material.

I'll just repeat them here: my question is: what is this "cordura" sil-nylon the Jacks specify? Is this different than the sil-nylon that Mac Cats and Speer and HH tarps are made from? If so, is there some advantage to it?

Also, are there supposed to be cat cuts on the 10 foot edges, like the web site says, or was that a typo?

Also, some tips on using it winter tarp style, with the 11 foot pitch, would be appreciated. I have been experimenting with that, and will post some pics on a dif thread.

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I'm hoping the Jack's or some one will be able to answer some of these questions I posted at the start of this thread. My tarp, which measures 11x10, weighs only about 18 ozs. So it most likely is some form of Sil-nylon. A tarp that large would weigh a couple of pounds or more if made of more typical tarp material.

I'll just repeat them here: my question is: what is this "cordura" sil-nylon the Jacks specify? Is this different than the sil-nylon that Mac Cats and Speer and HH tarps are made from? If so, is there some advantage to it?

Also, are there supposed to be cat cuts on the 10 foot edges, like the web site says, or was that a typo?

Also, some tips on using it winter tarp style, with the 11 foot pitch, would be appreciated. I have been experimenting with that, and will post some pics on a dif thread.
    i am going to burn my jrb tarp and mail them the ashes to show them what i think of their tarp.i am sick of buying gear that sucks neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    reasons i dont like the tarp
    1.to short,only works with shorter uncomfortable hammocks
    2.not really silnylon
    3.because it is a cat cut rectangle you cant pitch it like a diamond.
    4.the stuff sack sucks,the tarp never packs down small enough
    to fit in it again. neo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast