Clark Hammocks Opinion

What do you guys think of Clark Hammock? I am looking for a 3 season hammock. The North American Clark Hammock might be a good choice? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    What do you guys think of Clark Hammock? I am looking for a 3 season hammock. The North American Clark Hammock might be a good choice? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!
    I love mine.
    What else do you wanna know?

There's a Yahoo Group for them too.

So far, I've found it very easy to deploy, use, and repack. The gear pockets are nice, and I do think they operate as intended (giving a boost to bottom insulation when used properly).

The XL rainfly is on the small side. I think it'd be fine for hiking if you just plan to sleep under it. If you spend any time outside your hammock but under your tarp . . . you'll find the stock Clark tarps too small (in my opinion). But setting the Clark up with an aftermarket tarp is easy.

any other info

i'd like to know as much as possible, plan to spend much time in my hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Well, I'd read through the posts in the Clark section of this forum.
    And I'd join and read through the posts at the Yahoo group.

And then you could do like I did and just order one. If you don't like it for ANY reason, you can return it (within 90 days).

Um. . . other things that come to mind in my short ownership thus far:

The weathershield really DOES make a difference in interior temperature. Zip it fully closed and I swear it's like 8-10 degrees warmer inside.

Experiment with other suspension systems (webbing and the like), but you'll probably return to the stock rope.

Some folks claim they can side-sleep in a Clark. I personally cannot figure out a way to lay comfortably on my side in this hammock. At home, I'm a side-sleeper . . . in the hammock, I'm a back-sleeper. A very comfortable back-sleeper.
    Last edited by RAW; 04-27-2008 at 21:49.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    If you are on the tall side you might wish to consider the brand new longer version. It's both longer and wider and would be my first choice. My daughter has one...I like the weather shield and the ability to unzip it and the bugnet on both sides. My dislikes are the tarp and the short length of the older models. My daughter loves hers.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Clark Hammock

I love my clark, but if you buy one get the XL fly.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I agree with RAW. I can't seem to sleep on my side at all and I'm a side sleeper. However I can sleep in between my side and back and it works pretty well. I'd suggest the longer model even if you are not over 6 foot. The extra length will make it more comfortable and let you lie flatter and there isn't much down side to it.

The stock tarp is exactly as RAW says. It's fine to sleep under and it will keep the hammock dry but it's small to work under and doesn't keep stuff on the ground dry even under the hammock if there is any wind with the rain.

Given my experience, I'm not so sure the ropes are as non-wicking as the claims say. I tried them with nothing as Clark suggested and I did get water in the ends of the hammock via the rope. I would look at the ways people deal with that and consider it mandatory if heavy rain is expected. I added back in the drip rings to help with that.

Look at the trucker's hitch suspension in the suspension section here. I just set that up on mine and it's been great. No need to buy new ropes or straps and easy adjustment. Beats trying to tie bowlines.

I really LOVE the pockets. I can't imagine trying to camp without them. I love not having to rummage through a pack for my needed gear. The weather shield both makes it warmer inside and also blocks the cold wind exceptionally well. I like the internal pockets and you can add an accessory line inside the bugnet and add another storage location if you like. The stock fly is really easy to get an open pitch or storm pitch on but I haven't tried others so I can't compare that.

The camo colored models are very nice looking and blend in well. I like not advertising to the world my camp location. Don't expect miracles from the pockets in cold weather. They can help some but they don't make a pad obsolete or unnecessary in cold weather.

clark hammock

I love the clark system, but I am 6 feet 5 inches tall and I pretty well max it's length out. So mine is for sale and I am going to buy the new longer one. The pockets work really well for insulation. I have taken mine on one hike and I stuffed leaves in the pockets and stayed very warm in about 35-40 degrees. I also have a hennesy but you have to add a lot to it to stay warm on a cold night.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Just as an addition:

I've had a few questions about hammock stuff today. And I emailed the folks at Clark early this morning. Not only have we since exchanged a handful of emails in a short period of time--I also called and spoke to someone at length on the phone (and I believe it was Spencer).

And they made me feel like a priority at all times.

Here's a pic from this weekend:

The pockets are holding my clothes for the weekend, my toiletries (although my pack-towel is drying in this pic), my MaryJane's farm organic food, my Jetboil, and my sleeping bag stuffsack.
    Last edited by RAW; 04-28-2008 at 13:31.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Start reading...there's lots of info here...I love my Clark...by the way, I ALWAYS sleep on my side in my Clark...of course, I always sleep on a pad also and I think that helps...
    Last edited by mataharihiker; 04-29-2008 at 10:34.

• + New Posts