Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cirrus, DIY bridge #3, (picture heavy)

Previously posted a thread on DIY #2, The Cloud. Grizz had commented on the fact that the aluminum spreader bars accounted for nearly half the total weight of the hammock.

Back to the design shop. New project, code name:

Cirrus

I ordered carbon fiber tubes from http://www.rockwestcomposites.com/, cut them to size and fitted them with standard tent pole ends from Quest. The tubes came as 72" with an internal diameter of 0.5" and outside diameter of 0.56". They are very stiff and difficult to flex. A 72" tube weighed 3.30z. Since I was lightening up, I also switched to a dynalide suspension, and switched from 1.6 oz/sqyd polyester to 1.1 oz/sqyd ripstop nylon. Tweeked the dimension a bit as well (6" longer and a couple inches wider at the head). The total weight of the Cloud was 25.6 oz. I am happy to report that the total weight of the Cirrus is 18.0 oz.

Dimensions:

Length: 86"
    Width at head: 48"
    Head spreader: 42"
    Head suspension triangle: 40"
    Arc depth: 6"
    Width at foot: 40'
    Foot spreader: 30"
    Foot suspension triangle: 30"

Weights:

~5' long 1" tree huggers with Elephant Trunks: 5.0 oz
    Hammock with dynaglide suspension: 9.0 oz
    Spreader bars with end tips: 4.0 oz
    Total weight: 18.0 oz. (For comparison sake, one might note a 1.1 DL WB traveller base weight is listed at 19.5oz)

Pics:
    End tips. 0.433" aluminum end tips from Quest sized up with electrical tape to fit snugly inside 0.5" internal diameter CF tube.

Cirrus from the foot end with Exped DAM9 in pocket.

CF spreader installed on hammock. These CF tubes held me well with little or no flex (my current weight is ~190#). My only complaint is that the end tips are not sized appropriately for the tube diameter. Under load, the end tip does get pushed slightly into the tube, though this is limited because of the dynaglide. One problem I see with this current setup is the potential for wear on the dynaglide as it rubs on the edge of the CF tube. I will continue to monitor this to see if it becomes a problem.

TTTG 12x10 tarp over the Cirrus. Both hammock and tarp are attached to the elephant trunk. Because the tarp was tightly tensioned initially, I saw no sag in the tarp when I occupied the hammock.

The Cirrus under my OES 12x10 Cat tarp. Low and wide setup with end flaps anchored to ground for additional weather protection. Unloaded the head spreader is only 1-2" from the tarp, but loaded there is more clearance.

The Cirrus under OES in open porch mode.

Thoughts after completion:
    1) I am getting faster at completing these projects. Still having some issues with the thread injector, but it's definitely getting better.
    2) Like the additional length (86") vs that of the Cloud (80")
    3) Like the wider head end. More shoulder room.
    4) The combo of materials for the Cirrus definitely feel more stretchy/bouncy than those for the Cloud. But once in and settled, not a big issue. I wish dynaglide came in a more muted color.
    5) CF Spreader bars...Love the weight. Not completely satisfied with the end tip solution I used. Might consider some of the other sizes of tubing that RockWest has available. These bars hold ME. I do not endorse them for others. YMMV. Choose the right materials based on your own size/needs.
    FWIW, I did wear a heavy coat, hat and safety glasses when I sat in the hammock the first time...just in case.

Thanks to Grizz for his tutorials and suggestions!
    Last edited by BER; 10-16-2011 at 12:00.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Great hammock, amazing weight! Please keep us posted on further refinements - you're gonna have to sell 'em!

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Awesome bridge! You're getting me closer to trying one myself. What kind of webbing did you use in the sides?

PF

EDIT: I just had an ides for the CF spreader bars. Would it work to pin the ends in by drilling a small hole (maybe 2 at right angles) and inserting a small nail or hard wire to keep it from sliding in. What about epoxy?
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    Awesome bridge! You're getting me closer to trying one myself. What kind of webbing did you use in the sides?

PF

EDIT: I just had an ides for the CF spreader bars. Would it work to pin the ends in by drilling a small hole (maybe 2 at right angles) and inserting a small nail or hard wire to keep it from sliding in. What about epoxy?
    The webbing is 3/8" polyester from Strapworks at this link.

The CF tubes are at this link, item 45166. They have many different sizes of tubes. There may be a better choice for spreaders, but this is what I chose to start with.

The end tips for the spreaders are at this link. (I also got the silver 1.1oz frabric from Quest). Again, there may be a better choice of CF tubes and end tips that will fit together better.

I don't think I would try to drill into the tubes. You might crack them or at least weaken the wall. Maybe epoxy. Not sure what bonds well with CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    Great hammock, amazing weight! Please keep us posted on further refinements - you're gonna have to sell 'em!
    Nah. No money in it on a small scale. I just like to tinker. If I continue to refine, I may sell the previous ones, but it's not in the plans to make to order.
    (Plus I can't sew straight to save my life! )
    Last edited by BER; 10-16-2011 at 15:04.

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Great hammock...I have the same dimensions on my bridge I just finished. but i am using steel broom handles that come out to 14.4oz with end caps!? When I get the money I will have to look at getting the kind of speaders you bought BER.

Great, flat, comfortable fit and my wife even said she would sleep in a hammock like this.
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

I have had a couple PMs regarding dimensions and shoulder squeeze, so I thought I would add this information here.

Chrysalis measurements were taken directly from my Chrysalis before I sold it.
    Grizzbridge measurements were as relayed from Grizz either directly or taken from his videos.
    Measurements from DIY#1, Cloud (DIY#2), and Cirrus (DIY#3) are what I used. Additional width of fabric is left for hems, so for my hammocks the numbers represent the final dimensions.

In regards to shoulder squeeze:
    As the ratio of fabric width to spreader bar length (4th column in picture above) approaches 1, you get flatter across the hammock (less shoulder squeeze), but it also puts more tension on the fabric. So far I am liking the ratio of 1.15 that has been used for my last two hammocks.

Do with the information what you will. YMMV.
    An easier to read .pdf of the same information is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BER; 10-17-2011 at 13:00.

Images
    Awesome work!

I'd avoid drilling into your tubes, definitely a weakener. Epoxy shoudl bond really well since odds are very high that that is what the resin in your CF tubes is already, so you're just using more to hold the end plugs.

If you really want, you can put the end plugs in a pool of epoxy in a small plastic cup let it set and then turn them down to the exact right size to fit your CF tubes. Use either a lathe or chuck them up in a drill press and use a file to cut them down. (wear a respirator as epoxy dust is baaaaad)
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    In regards to shoulder squeeze:
    As the ratio of fabric width to spreader bar length (4th column in picture above) approaches 1, you get flatter across the hammock (less shoulder squeeze), but it also puts more tension on the fabric. So far I am liking the ratio of 1.15 that has been used for my last two hammocks.
    How is the the 1.1 ripstop holding up to the extra tension. How are you handling bug protection.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    BER, that's a sweet looking hammock. Getting down to that weight will attract some serious attention, IMO. We'll be interested in following along to see how it feels and how it wears. Thanks for sharing your insights and lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    How is the the 1.1 ripstop holding up to the extra tension. How are you handling bug protection.
    So far things seem to be holding up well. I'm not sure there is much more tension than my other hammocks as I adjusted the width of both the spreader and the fabric to maintain the same ratio, and I adjusted the length of the suspension triangle accordingly to keep nearly the same ratio (0.95 vs 1.0). But the hammock is still new. I will update if I start to see fabric issues.

I have been thinking about winter socks and bug socks for a couple days. I am thinking winter sock first given the change in weather. I am torn between the idea a a smaller volume sock (bivy-ish) which would be easier to warm up vs a larger volume over a ridge line similar to Mac's sock with SEEP for gathered end hammocks, which would give you a more comfortable space inside.

I have been thinking of ways to get away from using a tarp during the winter. It blocks wind and prevents accumulation of snow, but a wind resistant sock could do the same thing without requiring a separate suspension and stakes. You'd lose out in protected space and that is the part my mind is debating....how important is that in sub freezing weather? Gear can be kept in your pack--not a big deal if that gets snow on it. Boots...well maybe a way to keep those in a pocket of the SEEP if that was the way I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Rust View Post
    BER, that's a sweet looking hammock. Getting down to that weight will attract some serious attention, IMO. We'll be interested in following along to see how it feels and how it wears. Thanks for sharing your insights and lessons.
    Thanks LS. So far it feels great. I was having thoughts of making a single layer version with a DIY UQ...but I really like the pillowy, cloud like feel of a partially inflated DAM. We'll see... Right now I have my mind spinning around the sock ideas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast