Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Incubator

Switchback 1.1dbl or 1.9dbl?

I am wanting to get a Switchback, but am curious about which one to get. After reading through a lot of the threads here, I get the impression that people are gravitating toward the 1.9 dbl. I may be wrong, but that's the way it seems.

I know with the WBBB, I thought the 1.1dbl was more comfortable that the 1.7dbl, and most people seem to prefer the lay of the lightest fabric they can as long as they're within the weight limit of the fabric.
    Does the same hold true for the Switchback, or does the different, flatter lay change that for the SB?

I am 6' and 165 lbs. What is everyone close to my size using?

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    6'1, 230 and just purchased a SB 1.1. I am still dialing it in, but so far no real issues other than breaking my ingrained habit of a 30 degree hang. I may be taking it out on the AT next weekend, so I am rushing to get it dialed in before then!

I did note a bit of shoulder squeeze with too much sag, and so did my wife after she commandeered it for a 3 hour nap yesterday.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

I have the 1.9 dlb and I absolutely love it.
    I am 5' 9" 185lb and the 1.9 gives me the most comfortable lay over any hammock I have or had.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm 6' 200# and have both a 1.1dbl SB and 1.1dbl SBLH. I've had a 1.7dbl WBBB, and the 1.1dbl SBs feel more sturdy than the 1.7dbl BB did (and definately more sturdy than my current 1.1dbl WBBB).

To me, a 1.9dbl SB would be overkill for 165#. But that's why we all hike our own hike. You won't be disappointed either way. Great hammocks.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gtshouse View Post
    I am wanting to get a Switchback, but am curious about which one to get. After reading through a lot of the threads here, I get the impression that people are gravitating toward the 1.9 dbl. I may be wrong, but that's the way it seems.

I know with the WBBB, I thought the 1.1dbl was more comfortable that the 1.7dbl, and most people seem to prefer the lay of the lightest fabric they can as long as they're within the weight limit of the fabric.
    Does the same hold true for the Switchback, or does the different, flatter lay change that for the SB?

I am 6' and 165 lbs. What is everyone close to my size using?
    5'9" 185# Have a 1.9 single SB Classic and love it. I would have bought a 1.7 single if they had offered one at the time.
    I see no reason to get a double unless you want to use a pad between the layers. A second layer adds a lot of weight which might be an issue if you're backpacking.

Just my $0.02

hth

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    I'm 6' 185 and opted for the 1.9dbl. There's a few reasons why:

1) I sleep on my side and wanted the flattest lay possible
    2) The 1.9dbl is only 2oz's heavier than the 1.1dbl (I think they both use the same top liner) - Added to this, If I decided the double layer was overkill (weight), I could always remove the taffeta top layer on the 1.9 .... which wouldn't have been an option with the 1.1dbl.
    3) I couldn't stand the colors of the 1.1's!

I'm strictly an UQ user, but as ^Shane^ mentioned in an earlier post, the top layer taffeta liner is MUCH more pleasant against the skin.

I'm still dialing mine in comfort wise, but hopefully that helps.

Hammock
    tttg sb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    hmg cuben
    Insulation
    Crows Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have a 1.1 double sb and love it. I am 6' and 215. very comfortable hammock. dave

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Thanks to everyone for their input!

HobieCat, I was wondering if the 1.9 would allow for a flatter lay than the 1.1. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gtshouse View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their input!

HobieCat, I was wondering if the 1.9 would allow for a flatter lay than the 1.1. Thanks!
    At your weight (165) or even my weight (180) it would probably be unnoticeable.

If you know for sure you want to keep two layers, then go for the 1.1 - I would. If you're thinking you'll never use a pad, I'd still go for the 1.9dbl.... it's only $10 more than the single and you'll at least be able to feel the 1.9 vs the taffeta fabric. Removing the taffeta would be easy to go down to a single.

Same as OutandBack

I have the 1.9 SL, too. I decided to use UQs, so no dbl layer needed. The 1.9 material is plenty strong for me at 160 lbs, 6'1".

SoCal Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast