HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks

Thread injectors: importance of zigzag?

I'm looking to pick up my first injector to start on some DIY stuff over the winter, but being completely foreign to the concept of stitching (Home Ec. class was a long time ago) the varieties of stitches have left me a bit confused. Are the zigzag (and other fancy stitches) important for hammock-related stitching, such as attaching bug mesh or sewing tree strap loops? I have the opportunity to buy a Singer 404 for $35, it seems to be a solid machine but it's straight-stitch only, hence my debate of whether I should buy it or wait for a good deal on a fancier unit.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I too had this problem. I found a nice Singer 201 straight stitch only (circa 1938 or so) in Goodwill. Came here and asked the same questions as you only a few months ago. Was told by those much wiser in the ways of thread injection that for outdoor gear the straight stitch is used in 95% of sewing. Now I have made an underquilt, hats, gloves, socks, etc with no problem. It's a great way to learn for a small money outlay. Someday I will get a "newer" machine that does other stitches, but for now I'm happy with my 30+ pound, all metal thread injector.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Chances are you will get a sturdier machine without the cams that make zig zag work. I have it on the machine I have and can't figure out when I would use it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The first sewing machines were straight stitch forward only. Not even reverse. Machine stitching was done without zigzag for many decades. The zigzag was introduced to home machines in the 70's with the popularity of "Stretch and Sew" and other home sewing programs using the new fangled double knit fabrics which had just become available to home buyers. For this application the zigzag stitch was used as an ersatz stretch stitch. It is completely and totally optional in almost any other application. Some folks like to bar tack with a zigzag but that is not required for a good string bar tack.

The only place where a zigzag would be "required" in making gear is if you want to put buttonholes in a project. But even there, there are workarounds, just not easy ones. In short, don't let the lack of a zigzag put you off an otherwise good machine for gear making.

The situation is a little different for more advanced sewing. But for making gear... no sweat.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Good to hear that a complicated unit isn't a necessity. Thanks for the tips, gents! The Singer was gone before I got to it, but the hunt continues.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    All you need is a straight stitch. I've never used anything but that.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    The machine might be capable of a straight stitch, but fair warning you will have to practice extensively to get your stitches straight. As I'm finding out it's alot easier said than done especially with very light weight or slick fabrics (i.e. Silny)
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

You can get by without zigzag as others have said but if you work with webbing often or decide to make packs it's worth having a machine which will allow you to bartack. The old Necchi BU, BU Nova, Singer 401, 403, 501, and 503's are all metal machines with zigzag which are pretty easy to find and rugged enough for almost any diy gear project. The cams on the Singers are rugged and not prone to failure.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    Quote Originally Posted by gdw View Post
    You can get by without zigzag as others have said but if you work with webbing often or decide to make packs it's worth having a machine which will allow you to bartack. The old Necchi BU, BU Nova, Singer 401, 403, 501, and 503's are all metal machines with zigzag which are pretty easy to find and rugged enough for almost any diy gear project. The cams on the Singers are rugged and not prone to failure.
    my kenmore/sears cabnet mounted machine uses cams and i can do like 40 different stitches and so far all ive used to make all of my items is straight or double stich.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gdw View Post
    if you work with webbing often or decide to make packs it's worth having a machine which will allow you to bartack.
    In actuality a zigzag is not required to make a bar tack. Multiple passes (3-5) with a straight stitch is fine and makes a good strong bar tack. Bar tacks have been around far longer than the zigzag. I no longer zigzag any of my bar tacks. It is nice to have but in no way is it required.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast