Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod

Moon Pie's No Net Mods.

Most of you dont know my Nick Name is Moon Pie...yall just know me as Alex or Alex Williams...anyway...here's my photo essay on my Claytor No Net mods.

For starters...you'll need a set of 15' Harbor Freight Ratchet Straps. These straps are $2.99 each Click for single strap photo or you can buy the 4 pc set like I did for this project which cost $7.99 on sale or $8.99 when not on sale. 4 Piece Set I used
    You'll need a side grinder, or HEAVY set of Bolt Cutters or the good 'ole Hack Saw to cut the hooks and a means to hold the hooks...a bench vice or set of vice grip pliers.

To start with...I took a set of ratchet straps from Harbor Freight. This package contained two 15' ratchets and 2 - 6' snatch straps...Here's a photo of the item #

4 pc Strap set from Harbor Freight
    Here's the strap and ratchet...you'll use two for this project.

The cost on sale was $7.99 for the above listed item number when I purchased it...they are regular $8.99
    I took a grinder and cut the hooks off...make sure you hold the strap out of the way of the sparks...you want to keep the loops on the straps...

Once you've ground the hooks off you'll want to grind the brad pin out of the ratchet as you can see in the above photo......repeat this process again on the second 15' strap and ratchet. This will yeld two straps 15' in length with a loop and two that are about 12" in length with two loops

I then took the stock strap and tied the 12", double loop strap to it and pulled it through where the stock strap had been...be careful...you can pull it all the way through...the hammock will be gathered/bunched up and you should have a loop, hammock material and a loop...like so...

In the above photo...I was "Load Testing" the 12" strap...all I have done is taken the stock straps and threaded them through the two loops and hung the hammock...it held my 250# Moon so I think it has passed this phase of testing.

I'll be adding the ring buckles and structural ridge line to the set up tomorrow and will post more about this part of the process and more photos.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images
    That is something I miss up here, moonpies. I have not had one since I was stationed in Ft. Knox in the late 80's. You just don't see them up north. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    A buddy of mine started calling me that. I asked him why and his response was..."Look at you...your just like one...your short and round!" LOL...that name has stuck with me ever since...I made the mistake of telling one of the inmates at the prison about it and thus...one name I have there is that the others are Boss, and Mr. Maintenance Man.

I am off to the turkey woods at the moment...but fear not...for the Mods shall continue this afternoon!
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    Spring gobbler season in NY doesn't open until May 1. I hope you get your tom and get back soon. I'm looking forward to the rest of the mod.

I was thinking of replcaing the claytor straps with rope because I use ring buckles. I tie the stock straps into an overhand not and then loop it through the ring buckles. A rope would be much lighter.

Images
    Nice mods. I have done about the same except I have run a short piece of 1900 lb Spyder line thru the hammock, tied it of with a HH style lash on one end ( two figure 8 with loops on the other end- trying both) and ran the left over cord to a cinch buckle, then attached the Harbor Freight webbing to the cinch buckle.

It is a very nice system that I have used on other hammocks for about a year, without any problems whatsoever. But I am thinking about ordering a spool ( $22.99) of Spyderline from Westmarine.com and putting a rope/tree hugger system on for the next lengthy Western back pack. Maybe use it with a nylon cleat at the most. Just to save weight. I need TeeDee's comparison tables of the weight of various systems. I love the webbing/cinch buckle as far as function, I rate it tops. But I am a little concerned about ounce/bulk creep. I have to watch myself on that as I find all the new ways to make my hammocks easier to use and warmer or just more fun. Adding things that seem great but which I might really not need on a long hike.

And the fact is that, in the field, time of set up is not all that critical most of the time. If it takes me twice or 3 times as long to set up and re-adjust with a rope/tree hugger, that is not that big of a deal. And once it's up, it's done untill the next morning or longer if a rest day. And any way, if I use the cleat or Hitchcraft with rope/hugger, set up or re-adjust time is quite competitive, though not quite as fast. I don't remember for sure, but I think it might save me a few ounces, going with rope/huggers vs webbing, as well as some bulk.

Just something I'm thinking about. But in the meantime, I'm happy with the harborfreight/Speer webbing/cinch buckle system added to the Claytor, similar to what you have done.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I am back...I got on THREE birds this morning...but...they were henned up on the limb! I heard two hens and when they pitched in the other direction...the three long beards went with'em. I am going to town shortly to pick up the rest of the suspension mod. parts...basicly two 3/16" chain connectors (threaded link repair) and 4 1" rings.

I am not overly concerned with the weight of this set up...I am sure I would like a spyder line system as far as weight reduction...only problem is that there's NO where around here that carries it or dynema...so...this is the only option I have as of right now...
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Here ya go...this is the last part of the Moon Pie's Mods on the Claytor Suspension Set Up...

You'll need two 3/16" "Quick Link" and 4 1" "Welded Ring". Some folks are using the high strength alum rings that are used in rock climbing...I dont have access to those so...I use the "Welded Ring" that I can pick up at ACE hardware.

Here's the photo of the links and rings...

Next you'll attach the "Quick Link" to the double loops that you have already run through the hammock (ones from the ratchet) and then add the two rings...do this on both ends...

and that's it...run your straping around your trees using either the Speer Knot or you can utalize the loop on the 15' strap and "hug" the tree with the excess run through the buckles.

I have attached an 8' ridge line to my No Net...it's 8' from loop to loop. This gives me the best sag for my shortness...lol...

For the RL I used 550 cord and used a "Duncan Loop Knot" on each end...The DLK is the knot used in fly fishing leader ends for attaching the leader to the line using the "Hand Shake" knot...very easy loop to use...anyway...the 550 is pulled over the two yellow 12" straps on each end...the "Quick Link" is put back on along with the two "Welded Rings"...and there ya go.

I have NO scales so I cant tell you what the set up's weight is...but it works well....and no slips with me and Trace both in the No Net...that tells me that the No Net will hold close to 300 pounds and the suspension system has been now....FULLY TESTED...LOL...

Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    Excellent, Alex!

• + New Posts