Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I will try to go. I need to get monday off and saturday I have plans early then maybe from there I can make it.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I'm a definite maybe. I've got a hiking partner in Tampa I'm trying to introduce to hammock camping. She's got a place in High Springs so maybe we can drive up after work and crash at her pad for the night then meet everyone the next day.

Sounds good....
    Quote Originally Posted by ofceb View Post
    I will try to go. I need to get monday off and saturday I have plans early then maybe from there I can make it.
    I look forward to seeing you!

So, I got the permit in today. It seems that "up to four vehicles" may park at the campsite! So, if anyone wants/needs to be able to park at the site, we can do that. I won't be taking a space; I'm riding in from Gainesville, since it's so close to my house (and anyone who wants to make a ride of it is welcome to park at my place over the weekend; my place is a little over twelve miles from the parking lot of the reserve).

So, I need to check on the parking lot at the trail head and ensure that it's okay for folks to park out there during the evenings, but I can't see that being an issue. Please let me know in advance, either here in the thread or via PM if you have a need to park at the site rather than hiking the mile in from the lot. Thanks!

I'll update as soon as I hear back about the parking lot.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Got the e-mail response about the parking lot. It's a go for anyone who wants to park there, if we have any overflow.

So, aside from this being a camping trip, does anyone want specific activities to be planned for?

I was thinking about heading up a hike around the loop either Saturday morning or Sunday morning, probably fairly early if it's on Saturday.

The Gainesville/Hawthorne Rails-to-Trails bike/footpath is also nearby (about two miles up the road), so biking is definitely a possibility. There are also a couple other trails within easy biking distance/moderate hiking distance (though they would require a road hike or a car trip to reach).

Let me know if anyone is interested in a specific activity, and I'll see what I can do to make it happen.

I'll have an attendance & activity spreadsheet up fairly soon, to help organize things...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Alright. Spreadsheet is up and running here.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I will be there for Saturday night only. I could not take off Monday. I will head out Saturday afternoon after I finish my Zipline trip with coworkers at Sanford Zoo and stay there till sunday afternoon.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ofceb View Post
    I will be there for Saturday night only. I could not take off Monday. I will head out Saturday afternoon after I finish my Zipline trip with coworkers at Sanford Zoo and stay there till sunday afternoon.
    Sorry to hear that. However, I'll definitely try to put a hike together for Sunday morning. See ya there!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Official One-Week Bump

For those of you interested, it's less than a week until the Gathering!

Right now, the only activity that I have planned (other than, y'know, hiking in and sleeping in the Hennessy ) is a day hike for Sunday morning, probably around 9-ish or so. I figure on doing the grand loop (all ~4 miles of it; if anyone wants to hike farther than that, I can come up with something more). It's highlighted on the attached map below.

If anyone wants, there is another hike that we could do--about a mile and an half's worth--but it's about two and an half miles from the preserve. We'd either have to bike, road hike, or drive to the nearest parking lot.

If anyone's interested in that, let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Bump! Looks like me and Johnny Walker will make it Saturday night. Looking forward to it!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Bump! Looks like me and Johnny Walker will make it Saturday night. Looking forward to it!
    Good to hear! I'll definitely see you there!

I may have some folks from work coming; they're all ground dwellers, though, so the trees should be enough to go 'round. Unfortunately, from experience, I know I won't have a definite answer as to how many are coming from work until the day of (maybe not even then), so I don't have a headcount yet. We'll play it by ear.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Tomorrow!

Well, it looks like the weather is going to cooperate tomorrow and through 'till Tuesday.

According to The Weather Channel, it's going to be highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. Since we had a rather cold night last night and the night before, I don't think the mosquitoes will be too bad (though, it being Florida, I still recommend bringing some bug repellent regardless).

Apparently, the pump at the site is "temporarily repaired" until the St. Johns WMD folks can get parts in for it. So, be gentle pumping water; apparently the handle is not the sturdiest.

I'll be PMing those of you who've signed up on the sheet so as to give you the gate code and other information.

I look forward to seeing everyone out there this weekend!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast