BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers

looking for input

I'm debating a TQ now. I have a REI halo 25^ - which is no longer sold. It's a great bag. I really like it. I'm looking at a 35^ HG TQ in the for sale section now. I understand a TQ is more efficient in the fact that you aren't compressing any of it when using it and it's a good bit lighter than my bag - close to a pound if I have my calculations correct. I guess where I'm worried is the temp rating. I camp in the Gorge and areas around it as late as November - in fact I'm headed out on the 4th of Nov if everything goes as planned - and it's known to dip down in the mid 20s at that time of year. Should I just hang on to my bag in this scenario? Anybody else done a similar swap? Thanks in advance for the input - I always regard info and opinions from HF.net in the highest

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Hammock Gear's temp rating are pretty accurate, and will go down a few degrees lower depending on if you are a warm/cold sleeper. If your temps are down to the 20s I would suggest the 20degree rated TQ / UQ. If you were to use the 35degree you would have to use extra layers, down jacket, etc. I guess it's doable but 15degrees is a big jump. With the TQ / UQ you get to around 2-2.5 pounds for both of them, which is pretty comparable to a really nice down sleeping bag. (and just as expensive if not more). I've personally found that Hammock Gear and Warbonnet to be the best prices for top quality TQ / UQ's.

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    I have a Halo myself. A nice bag. It has never let me down. I will say that I've found the temp rating of my UQ matters more than my TQ. If my UQ far exceeds the temperatures I'm in I sometimes need very little on top. Obviously YMMV. You could always supplement your TQ with a fleece liner or something.

On the other hand, I have TQs, and I still hang onto my Halo. I also still sleep on the ground sometimes, though.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Temp ratings are only a gauge to go by. I was warm with a 3-season down to 20 degrees but the opposite can be true - someone in a winter UQ or TQ can be cold in 50 degree weather because it isn't cinched up tight enough to the hammock and lets in air. Some things to think about, IMO: If you're pretty warm hanging around camp (I mean, walking, standing, sitting by the fire) in the mid 20's you won't remove all your clothes and sleep in your birthday suit so consider the type of clothing you'll be wearing to assist you in those temps. What about a hammock sock? What about the way the tarp is pitched? All of these (and more) help us get to our temperature goal.

I've struggled with the exact same thing you're going through and almost as important as what gear you buy is how you use it. My sleeping bag that I used as a top quilt doesn't compare to my Burrow and I'm happy I went with it. I'll be selling my sleeping bag soon.

Let us know how else we can help you stay warm and we'll look for that trip report
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    You guys flat-out rock. Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I think for my upcoming gorge trip, I'll just use my Halo. Maybe next year, I'll invest in a TQ. I have a GLP UQ now that I'm REALLY stoked about. I figure I should be okay. If I get cold, I'll throw on my nano puff or I may even have one of those newfangled Ultralight Down hoodies by then...

• + New Posts