Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Looking for Batona Trail, NJ insight

I was thinking of maybe doing an overnighter or two on the Batona Trail in the next few weeks. My initial inclination was to hang at the Batona campsite, and maybe do a loop to Apple Pie Hill. However, after reading some HF posts, it looks like the Batona campsite can be a real Animal House with up to 100 people partying to all hours at this time of year. Not what I was looking for in a wilderness campsite.

Is Lower Forge a little less congested? I've thought about parking at Batsto and hiking to Lower Forge. If this time of year brings out too many pineys and bennies, maybe waiting till the temps drop is the best option. I can always do day hikes to familiarize myself with the area.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Images
    lower forge would be the best hike (6.5 mi)as it is a wilderness site and there are no cars allowed. mulica river camp (4.0 mi) is also wilderness, but they don't allow pets. you can also hike to buttonwood from batsto (3.5 mi). bass river to batsto is 22 miles and a nice hike.

http://g.co/maps/8ffzu
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...02759#poststop

im hiking the whole trail the fri, sat, sun after thanksgiving (north to south)

enjoy
    KK&K
    Last edited by kayak karl; 10-19-2011 at 14:11. Reason: 4 not 7 to mulica
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Images
    you don't need to worry about the piney's, but whats a bennie? never heard the term.
    do ask if scout troops will be at the site. ive never had a problem with them at all, but you will not be alone.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    you don't need to worry about the piney's, but whats a bennie? never heard the term.
    do ask if scout troops will be at the site. ive never had a problem with them at all, but you will not be alone.
    Definitely not worried about scout troops, KK. They're good campers and usually too tired to stay up too late (if their leaders properly wear them out). While solitude is great, I'm just trying to avoid "obnoxious" campers.

You never heard of bennies? Just think "the entire cast of Jersey Shore."
    Wikipedia pretty much describes a benny perfectly:

"Benny is a derogatory term used by year-round residents of the Jersey Shore to describe rude, flashy, loud, tourists from northern New Jersey and New York. . . . Some say "Benny" originated as an acronym for the tourists' residency--in Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, or New York (B,E,N,NY). The term has expanded to encompass all obnoxious non-resident tourists (i.e. tourists from northern New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania) who collectively frequent the Jersey Shore from Memorial Day to Labor Day, crowding local roads, stores, beaches, bars and restaurants. The term "Benny" is predominantly used by local residents of beachfront towns in Ocean County and Monmouth County."

Most people around here think the term "benny" describes a tourist who is constantly "bending" his elbow, i.e., getting drunk.

The Jersey Devil might be scary, but bennies are scarier, especially if they're also juicehead gorillas (muscle-bound steroid users). Now that I think about it, I doubt you'd find any bennies in the Pinelands. They might like the sand, but they'd wonder where the beach is.

Images
    you may fine benny's at bass river st pk, but the park police keep them in line (that's where their office is). they have ALL the authority of a state trooper.

Mulica River and Lower Forge Wilderness sites are your best bet. NO VEHICLES and they are patrolled. The only places I park for over nites are Atsion Office, Batsto Office, Bass River and Lebanon State Forest's.

if you need any TOPOs of the areas PM me. i have them in PDF format.

KK&K

• + New Posts