ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie

Question Clarification

I am new to hammock camping and there is a ton of info. I am noticing that a lot of folks like the Warbonnet and HH. I currently have an ENO doublenest and must admit I do like it but I don't have a bug net, underquilt,etc. What is the appeal of those hammocks over the ENO's? Any info would be helpful. From what I have seen the ENO seems lighter and alot bigger but I feel that I am missing something.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    with the WB you have several things the ENO doesnt.

built in bug net
    dedicated area for your feet
    shelf
    ridgeline (which you can get for an eno)
    side tie outs to open the hammock up
    DWR finish on the bottom (which make the WB able to go to ground if needed)

the ENO's and the like are just basic hammocks.

if you like the eno, grab a good bugnet and youre good to go.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I do not have or used a HH so I can not speak on that.

I do own a ENO DN and a couple of Blackbirds. I use my ENO for afternoon hangs in the back yard and take it with me on day hikes to use when I take a break from hiking. I preferr my Blackbird for camping in becase of the built in bug net (lots of bugs where I live), the footbox which allows for a flat lay for me, the storage shelf and the fact that since I have the BB double I can slide a foam pad inbetween the layers and the pad stays in place.

If you do get a BB and do not like it, you can sell it here on the forum for almost full price and usually in less than a day. No other hammock can make that claim.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I do not have or used a HH so I can not speak on that.

I do own a ENO DN and a couple of Blackbirds. I use my ENO for afternoon hangs in the back yard and take it with me on day hikes to use when I take a break from hiking. I preferr my Blackbird for camping in becase of the built in bug net (lots of bugs where I live), the footbox which allows for a flat lay for me, the storage shelf and the fact that since I have the BB double I can slide a foam pad inbetween the layers and the pad stays in place.
    I have a HH and an ENO DN, and I feel the same way. I use the HH for camping because of the bug net and the foot box, and I use the ENO in the yard or in a park, or just about wherever I can find two trees (or sturdy objects) close enough together to strap it up. If you were to purchase a HH though, I would suggest getting the zipper model because it is so much more convenient.

Many people do however like to use gathered end hammocks like the ENO while out camping though because they are still very comfortable, and the feeling of laying out in a hammock without a bug net hindering your view of your surroundings is kind of nice. I would not suggest it though if your were anywhere buggy at all.

As for they ENO that you have, to get maximum enjoyment out of it, I would recommend a couple of things if you have not already done so. I would recommend getting (or making ) some whoopie slings, and also some tree straps (rather than the stretchy straps that ENO sells). These two items make setting up your ENO a breeze. It usually takes me no more than 2 minutes to set up my ENO making it incredibly convenient.

So that you know, the HH does not have a built in shelf or a double layer to slide pads into like the WBBB does as stated above by gunner.
    Last edited by cfisch9; 10-18-2011 at 20:14.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie
    Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. I did go backpacking with the ENO and we were in a buggy area and I was wishing I had a bug net, but one thing thing I have done then and once when it was cold is put some gear in the compression bag and then wrap the hammock around me like a cocoon. Not as good as I bug net I am guessing but it worked pretty well for a beginner. I am still trying to get some funding together to try making an underquilt. I love this forum.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    You can get a lot of miles out your ENO. The addition of a bugsock can get you thru bug season and is cheaper than getting a new hammock. Changing out the suspension is pretty easy and will be less frustrating than the stock ENO stretchy suspension (highly recommended modification).

Some people, like myself, do not like an attached bugnet as in the WBBB and HH. I use a variation of the TED bugnet (do a search here). It's detachable from the hammock and has no zippers. The WB bugnet is also a very good design if you need to buy one.

ENOs tend to run short, so you may find a longer hammock more comfortable, especially if you're tall. WBBB is 10'. Mine DIY gathered end hammock is 11'.

UQs or pads are necessary to retain body heat if you're going to use it for camping. Every person sleeps warmer/colder than the next, but the general consensus is below 70 needs insulation of some kind. A sleeping bag works fine in a hammock, but can be tricky to get into. Top quilts are easier to use in a hammock.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blong223 View Post
    I am still trying to get some funding together to try making an underquilt.
    There is great info on making quilts in the DIY section. IX (insultex) UQs are easier to make than down UQs. I've made both. IMO down quilts are not a beginner project, but you know how well you can sew. Make sure you do your homework, and it will go much easier.

• + New Posts