Wilderness Logic and EnLIGHTend Equip. Comparison

Hey, everyone.

I’m 6’1”, 160 lbs and I’m looking at a couple of TQs. In particular, I’m looking at the Wilderness Logic King TQ: 78 in x 55 inches, 25 oz, 14 oz 800 fill of down good down to 20*. Sewn footbox.

I’m also looking at the enLIGHTend Equipment Revelation TQ. The long version is 84 in. x 38 (foot) x 48 (shoulder). Has about 14 oz of 850 fill down and weighs about 25 oz. Also good to about 20* (maybe a little better). Zipper and drawstring footbox.

I will sometimes need to go to ground and it’s my understanding that a wider quilt is better suited for ground sleeping, especially for a side sleeper/someone who tosses and turns at night.

Anyone have any experience with these manufacturers and/or dimensions? Or similar dimensions with other quilts? Is the 78 inch King long enough for someone my height? I’m asking b/c manufacturers are all over the place with lengths and how tall you can be and still fit comfortably. EnLIGHTend also sells a 78 in version which I think could fit in but I might err on the side of caution and get a longer version, if need be. (Tim at EnLIGHTend recommends the longer quilt but thinks I would be OK in the 78 in. model since I'm on the slim side). Is a 48 inch TQ wide enough for someone who also needs to go to ground on occasion?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

SoCal Mike

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    Mike,
    I've never tried the enlightened stuff, but Wilderness logics gear is top notch. I'm 6'1 myself. Just got my King quilt from WL yesterday. As far as your size, your good on both accounts. While my height was good, I could even cover my face with the quilt, I'm a very bulky guy. So, I had to send the quilt back to Marty for a custom job. I'm very broad in the shoulders and needed more width for the calves and lower thigh area as well. I would think the king size would give you plenty of room to stretch out, wrap up, or toss and turn. You won't run into any of the issues I had, Im about twenty pounds shy of doubling your weight.
    I would say the stiching and layout is up there with companies like Western Mountaineering. Very clean, sharp, pro finish and attention to detail. I wasn't big on the removable fleece pad until I got the quilt in. That fleece patch is a killer idea. I cant wait until the guys at WL finish the custom job that fits the bigger fellas!
    Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Ill vouch for the WL King Size top quilt too. 6'4 and I can pull it up over my face without my feet hitting the bottom of the foot box. Plenty of width at the head end to not feel tight(actually more than enough room to move around under it and not pull the sides out from under you.) and the fleece patch feels good against the skin.

Thanks for the quick input, guys. Can you explain the fleece patch a bit? I don't see a bunch of info on the Wilderness Logic website about it.

Mike

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    Thanks for the quick input, guys. Can you explain the fleece patch a bit? I don't see a bunch of info on the Wilderness Logic website about it.

Mike
    Hi Mike,
    In the HF gallery I have several picts of the WL King TQ
    If you do a search on my HF name you cans see several pict. when I did review this TQ.

hth

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post

Mike
    the fleece condensation patch is a velcro detachable patch that collects
    breath condensation and protects the quilt and insulation from exhaled moisture.
    it feels good against the chin and neck and can be removed before the quilt is packed,
    hang it on the exterior of your pack to allow it to dry during the day.
    it's a very smart addition to the quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, everyone; especially for clarifying the fleece. OutandBack, thanks for pointing me to your review. You were the one who got me looking at the WL King quilt in the first place, though you didn't know it. I saw another posting you had about your sleeping "system" where you use the King year round and then swap out the UQ as needed. That's the sort of set up I'm looking at using and so I checked out the King.

Right now, Tim at EnLIGHTend is having a sale on quilts using nylon 2nds. My hesitation is that I think I'd like a wider quilt but nothing too heavy. The King looks to fit the bill for width but there are features on the EnLIGHTend quilt that I like, too. But Tim's quilts are heavier than I thought I'd go for the wider version. Weight is important to me b/c leg injuries prevent me from carrying heavy packs.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

SoCal Mike

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    while i dont have a WL TQ yet, i do have his 3/4 UQ and the Big Daddy should be here (im hoping tomorrow) soon.

From talking to marty and dealing with him (and having him put up with my incessant questions) on the things i do have, the quality is absolutely amazing.

and for that matter, if you get the king (in black..) and dont like it, im willing to get it from you. let me know either way, i know youll be happy with it!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

I grabbed and enLIGHTend quilt

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I purchased a Revelation X quilt from enLIGHTend Equipment today. This was a very tough decision, but Tim offered to make his narrow model a bit wider for me and the price made it an offer I couldn't refuse. The WL King looks fantastic and everyone's support of that product and that company means I will keep it in mind for the future if this one doesn't work out. I also hope to provide a review of the EE quilt. Tim is well known at backpackinglight.com and has a stellar reputation. He's a hammock man, too, but his presence here isn't as strong as over at BPL. I have a feeling that his reputation will rise considerably since he has some awesome deals right now and more hammock guys will take advantage of the opportunity. He really showed excellent customer service toward me and I'm grateful for that. I'll let you all know how it works out.

SoCal Mike

• + New Posts