Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Interesting topic, but I foresee a slight problem with a UL sub forum, it wouldn't be just one, it would have to end up being many! For instance, Weather protection, this forum topic is broad and general and encompass pretty much everything to keep our living space in the woods dry and in this topic are a LOT of threads on the subject, so, you would have to have a sub-sub forum in Weather Protection denoted just for UL Weather Protection! Then you would need one for Insulation (top and bottom), one for Suspension, one for???, you get it, so I think with the set-up of the forum as it is, and as well rooted it is, it would be nearly impossible (notice I said "nearly" as nothing is impossible) to re-arrange the entire forum to add this sub to every main topic!

Although I will say that I like the presented idea and having all the information in its own sub-sub-forum or spot, but I find that the set-up as it is now very easy to follow! But as already stated, if everyone was to put a UL, or SUL in the title, then when you do a search it would bring all of them up??
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

no need for it...IMO
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    Like I said, it's something I believe to be worth fighting for
    This isn't something you're 'fighting for'. It's just your opinion on organizing things. We hear you. But please remember that HF isn't about lightweight hiking...that's just one facet of the larger picture.

Also please remember that all the new lightweight gear you mentioned that has been developed and discussed has done so in the context we already have.

All the discussion you want is already here. We're just not going to organize it as lightweight-centric. All the mods (and many members) have agreed that isn't the best course.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    I'd love to see an UL subforum. I'm always looking to shed a few ounces, and with the incredible number of cottage makers creating and selling their wares, it can be difficult to find the lightest, most reliable option for any given piece of kit.

As for logistics, searching for "UL" or "SUL" provides no results, because the query is too short. So if I started a thread titled "SUL Suspension System," the only way to find that thread (short of browsing for it) would be to search "suspension system" or search by OP. How many threads do you think exist with "suspension system" in the title? 29.

I like the idea, and would love to see it properly implemented. That being said, I recognize the potential for confusion, though I don't imagine there would be much difficulty if a simple "Ultralight" subforum were added to each of the primary section. (i.e. an "Ultralight" section beneath the "Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, and Bug Nets" section).

Images
    some have already mentioned "pack weight". HF is not a backpacking site. its about the hammock, which many of use on our adventure of all kinds. some say there is not a need, my fear is it will become "my pack is lighter then your pack" forum. others mentioned "experts". we are all STILL learning. this is just my opinion from reading other sites for 5 years. i have lowered my hammock weight greatly. zero degree setup went from 9 lb to sub 5. i learned that here on HF.

have fun hanging, WHEREVER
    KK&K
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF camo
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    I'm satisfied with their definition but as hammockers we will have to find our own.
    Why? Who needs the definitions/ You carry the number of grams you carry, regardless of some arbitrary weight designation.

Keith

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    This isn't something you're 'fighting for'. It's just your opinion on organizing things. We hear you. But please remember that HF isn't about lightweight hiking...that's just one facet of the larger picture.

Also please remember that all the new lightweight gear you mentioned that has been developed and discussed has done so in the context we already have.

All the discussion you want is already here. We're just not going to organize it as lightweight-centric. All the mods (and many members) have agreed that isn't the best course.
    Those are my sentiments, also.

As far as the search function here goes, I haven't found a search function yet that thinks the way I think. The fastest way I've found to find some thing here is to just ask. Someone here will point you in the right direction.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Those are my sentiments, also.

As far as the search function here goes, I haven't found a search function yet that thinks the way I think. The fastest way I've found to find some thing here is to just ask. Someone here will point you in the right direction.
    your right. many tread title are made to be funny and not able to be searched. maybe somebody should start a thread on "How title your thread to make it searchable"
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Rook - good for you for advocating for something in which you believe! That's the way things happen.

That said, maybe a good solution would be to combine AngrySparrow's idea (which I support) with tagging and a better search mechanism. It seems as if someone posted recently how to search HF using Google. (The search term was something like "site:hammockforums.net phrase to be searched" but I don't really remember.)

Maybe the tagging option could have a framework such as "If the tag is too short, add enough "2s" to the end of the tag to make a total of six characters." So "UL" would be tagged as "UL2222" and "SUL" would become "SUL222", etc. That way at least you could tag threads for the appropriate topic and it could be used for other topics than just UL ones. I know it's a workaround and not the best but maybe something like this could work, at least until better tagging and search capabilities were available.

I too would like to be able to slice and dice the forum to see what I want to see and nothing else but not at the expense of separate UL subforums for each, or many, forum topic.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Well - despite what I say, or think, I've been politely told "No" by the mods. So that about sums it up.

Just be aware that you have a passionate and unsettled hammock enthusiast on your hands...

...and that this isn't over
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast