Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well at least the discussion on the pro's and con's has been civil. R00K has articulated his position very well and the Moderators have explained their logic as to why a UL specific forum isn't needed. I'm all for improving things when possible. In this case I think what is in place is workable.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    It seems as if someone posted recently how to search HF using Google. (The search term was something like "site:hammockforums.net phrase to be searched" but I don't really remember.)
    I'm kind of glad you brought that up.

We could change the forum search engine to give results on fewer characters searched for, but that would have two negative impacts. First, it would dramatically increase the search index size, and thus increase the database size and work load. Second, it would actually make many search results worse, since all the places that those letter combinations appeared inside another word would be returned results as well. For instance if the search engine were tweaked to let you search for 'UL', then it would also return result, pulk, bulk, SUL, pull, bull, full, etc... The more results returned, the less specific the results become.

So, it's a balance of several factors with the search string length. Where we're at isn't ideal. But it does work if you don't search for terms that are too generic (like underquilt).

Using Google to search the forum can be helpful sometimes. Their search algorithms are better than ours will ever be. And we should probably work on adding a Google search box to the site at some point, but there are some considerations with that as well.

Everything is about choices, and choosing the best fit for the situation. It's not that R00K's idea is bad....it's just not right for the whole of the forum right now.

Just some info.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    WL-Tad Pole -Black
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    Neat idea but I would "think" it might be confusing...at least with my simple mind.

For example, would it be expected to discuss UL Tarps in the new UL section AND/OR the normal "Weather Protection". Would it imply items not here are heavy weight gear?

Maybe just a UL discussion only forum (i.e. equipment lists) would work.

Just rambling and I would support/contribute/read either way.
    TRIUMPH
    Go Your Own Way

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    While I would love to have an UL dedicated sub-forum I realize why it is the way it is. angrysparrow is correct in his logic, and this has been discussed before. Another good thing to consider is how helpful the people here are in general. I've seen countless times where someone will ask an UL questions, and 10 answers will be posted before the end of the day, including a link to another thread where it's been discussed extensively. While I would love to eventually see an UL section to the forum, I realize that it works just fine now and one can readily find all the pertinent info necessary to make an informed decision. Besides, you can always resell the wrong gear for nearly what you paid! (haha)

Maybe as the forum grows and/or more people turn to the UL style of hammock camping it might become more important / necessary, but that's just not the case right now. I think the mods keep an open mind when it comes to things like this.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I don't really see a need for a UL forum as we get all our questions answered in various ways/threads and having spent 6 or so years on BP forum,,their UL forum is pretty much ran its course as there is never anything new brought up on it that hasn't been covered 99 times before. Its the same ole same ole questions from newbies over and over again and you can research the forum for the answers that have been given over and over. How much more technologically can our cottage manufacturers find any more newer materials, etc,,and they are all doing their experimentation by the power of this hammock forums' members requesting items built or designed this way or that way,,we all experiment and seek our different ways to become a "gram wienie" and each member is teaching everybody their way of lightening up very most excellently thru their pics, videos, and forums postings.. Like I said, every time I log on to BP forum,,and go to their UL forum,,nothing much being posted there in my opinion, You guys do a great job as it is... I also like the way it is,,when a member is working with a cottage manufacturer and comes up with the way to lighten his load on each of the threads per the manufacturer,,that person plus the manufacturer,,gets the accollades from all the other members for coming up with those ideas on his/her thread if you understand what I am trying to say..i.e. hammockgear using cuban,,zpacks and their cuban,,dutch and his own designs,,,etc,,etc,,granted,,you have to read all the postings to keep up with all the items, and things their making..but that is the fun of reading the postings of all the postings.
    Last edited by Acer; 10-20-2011 at 15:47.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    There is a system in place that works, and has worked. You can find the information if you look hard enough or ask, and in this system new ideas have been cultivated. BUT, it can be improved upon and made better. People are experiencing a bit of a barrier when trying to find something specific, and we should be about the business of removing barriers. We are 'hammockers', we should be about making life a little easier. Unless of course you're a hammocker who loves a stiff back.

Now as far as the issue of hammocks and lightweight hiking only being a part of the larger picture of what we do here at hammockforums, "HammockInMyBedroom.com" would probably not get a ton of action...
    ...annnnd probably get a little weird.

The adventures in which we take our hammocks along for make this site happen.

We could all collect hammocks and fill our spare rooms with them but to what end? (Well probably a decent night's sleep, but that's beside the point...)

Most of what fuels this site is the discussion of gear that is tested and tried by our users, for our users.
    While some of us may be content for eternity with one thread called "Why I love the Hammock" this site was designed to get deeper. And for those who claim they'd be fine with just that thread I encourage them to start it, and confine themselves to it. See where it goes. Despite being a love-fest for the greatness that is 'hammock' I don't think you'd get much accomplished. We love hammocks because they make sleeping (life?) better. But most of us still have to walk/bike/kayak/climb to where ever that hammock is gonna get hung.

The adventure that accompanies the hammock. That's the bigger picture.

The hammock improved my time spent outdoors. I'd like to think that's the case for most of us. For some the hammock is just an indoor thing (see: hammockinmybedroom.com) and that's fine.
    Just, no illusions that most of us here do more.

Light-weight hammock gear made my time spent outdoors even better still. I've found it inspiring and out-and-out incredible. I want to 'shout it from the mountain tops' so to speak. I want to share that impact with the other members of our forum, in the hopes that it'll bring them the same kind of happiness it's brought to me. As far as I know, the best way I can "share" that is to bring as much attention to it as possible. There's nothing better than a hammock to lay in and no heavy load to bear. That's my humble opinion anyway.

But I did not start this thread because I like light-weight hammock camping and want to share it's joys with the world, well maybe I did, but more importantly:

I see a potential point of strengthening in an imperfect system.

Hopefully this thread inspires action.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I really see this as an issue of search algorithms, or the limitations thereof. I get really irked when I have searched and searched for some topic using the HF search and Google, finally get exasperated and post a "help" thread, only to receive a reply to thread 30 seconds later saying, "look here." Why couldn't I find it? Am I some sort of idiot? I've spent my life in IT and am by no means a dummy at the keyboard.

I'm just not sure a subforum would address the fundamental issues that concern you. As others mentioned, it would turn into a thousand branches - UL hammock, UL suspension, UL tarp, etc. Maybe we need to start a new forum called ULhammockforums.net? That seems to be the only solution. It looks like that URL is available if you wanna make the jump!

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I don't much...well .. anything about search algorithms, but I do know this ...when I go to the forums page and scroll down ... I come to this title ..."" Donating Members Off-Topic Forum"" ... and I see topics like >>> Cutlery .. Clothing .. Camp Kitchen ..and let's not forget Paddling ... If this is a pure hammocks forum ... I ask...What are the aforementioned topics doing here ?? and ... Why couldn't the UL just go there ??

I think UL has more of a place in this forum the any one of those ... just saying ...looking for from outside the box ... I'm not a gram weenie ... But I did see the light !!
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    <snip>

If you want to discuss the lightweight aspect (or lack thereof) of a particular piece of gear, then put 'UL or SUL' in the title and post accordingly. But there's no need to rearrange the forum to have that discussion.
    Firm authority is wanted here. Just pick one keyword, not a choice of synonyms. And, maybe the forum database software permits a virtual subforum, with all threads begun with that keyword in the subject to be presented in that virtual sub-forum (in addition to the primary-key sub forum of the current organization)?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    If this is a pure hammocks forum ... I ask...What are the aforementioned topics doing here ??
    The Off-Topic forum is there as a perk for the members that choose to donate to support the forum. Note that hammock-related topics aren't in there, and they are kept separate.

All the hammock related info on HF is free and open to anyone regardless of donation status. This keeps the actually hammock-related topics organized and focused.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Maybe the forum database software permits a virtual subforum?
    I'm not aware of any current method to do that with our forum software.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast