Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    I'm 6'2", 220 and I use a warbonnet blackbird 1.1 double with whoopie slings. Haven't had any issues with comfort. It just takes a bit of practice to get it dialed in, a process I'm sure you'd have to go through with any hammock.
    Good luck and welcome.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    The clarks are some tall dollors. For a first time Hammock "I" would get an ENO,grand trunk or hammock bliss. Play around with them change out to whoopie's and or other rigging. Look on amazon or ebay.
    Tarps WB and OES will fit the bill.
    Good luck.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I'm 6'2", 220 and I use a warbonnet blackbird 1.1 double with whoopie slings. Haven't had any issues with comfort. It just takes a bit of practice to get it dialed in, a process I'm sure you'd have to go through with any hammock.
    Good luck and welcome.
    thanks, they certainly look like a great hammock and is currently second on the list, the reason why i like the clark is because of 2 less guide ropes to peg left and right of it, the outer storage/insulation pockets (rated to 0 deg C), the full top cover enclosure, the bug guarantee with the material and a few other things.
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Clark NX-250 comes with a cat-cut Silnylon rainfly (it better for $429 US).

Here are the dimensions:

Rain Fly XL

Widest width: 96 in. / 244 cm
    Length 127.5 in. / 323 cm
    Weight 12.1 oz. / 344 g

When you order online, you can select "no rainfly" and they'll subtract $55, which makes total purchase price $374. That's a penalty, because if you buy the Rain Fly XL independently, it's $139.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-20-2011 at 09:40. Reason: add info

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The Clark NX-250 comes with a cat-cut Silnylon rainfly (it better for $429 US).

Here are the dimensions:

Rain Fly XL

Widest width: 96 in. / 244 cm
    Length 127.5 in. / 323 cm
    Weight 12.1 oz. / 344 g

You might want to call them to see if they'll sell you a hammock without the rainfly if you are dead set on the Superfly.
    thanks, im aware that the Clarke comes with a rainfly of its own and i will take it with it if i purchase for a quick trip or if i want to hang out of a tree, the reason for my thoughts on the Warbonnet Superfly is because when i camp im always doing something outside of my shelter such as cooking, capping, sharpening knives, skinning etc, plus i seek to properly cover my pack and bow and or anything else i have with me, i also cook and can hang and dry clothes, so im seeking for more outer shelter hence the Superfly, thanks again
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
    the reason why i like the clark is because of 2 less guide ropes to peg left and right of it, the outer storage/insulation pockets (rated to 0 deg C), the full top cover enclosure, the bug guarantee with the material and a few other things.
    Just a couple of details on this bit.

You do not have to use the tie-outs on the Blackbirds. If you want to use the shelf, you'll need to tie-out one just to support it, otherwise there is no need. I rarely use the tie-outs on my BBs in winter.

Clark would be quite accurate referring to them as storage pockets; insulation pockets, well there are a couple of people that agree, but not the majority.

The bug guarantee is made by plenty and is a constant source of debate.

The full top cover enclosure (Weathershield) is truly a thing of beauty! IMO, it is the very best design feature in the Clarks and IT WORKS! I've had to take topquilts off when the outside temps were in the single digits because I got too hot with the Weathershield closed. Amazing piece of engineering on that one.

I don't have anything negative to say about the quality of either of these rigs; they are both up on the top shelf of technical hammocks. I will say that if I had to pick which I believed would last longer, I'd say the Clarks. Trade-off there is weight, which is where the Birds win. I don't like the lie in Clark hammocks, but that just makes me a gathered-end hammock guy. Assuming you have laid in both styles of hammocks and liked them both equally, I would say it should boil down to if you wanted rugged, or if you want lighter weight. Quality wise, both are pretty much equal and you won't be displeased with either.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just a couple of details on this bit.

You do not have to use the tie-outs on the Blackbirds. If you want to use the shelf, you'll need to tie-out one just to support it, otherwise there is no need. I rarely use the tie-outs on my BBs in winter.

Clark would be quite accurate referring to them as storage pockets; insulation pockets, well there are a couple of people that agree, but not the majority.

The bug guarantee is made by plenty and is a constant source of debate.

The full top cover enclosure (Weathershield) is truly a thing of beauty! IMO, it is the very best design feature in the Clarks and IT WORKS! I've had to take topquilts off when the outside temps were in the single digits because I got too hot with the Weathershield closed. Amazing piece of engineering on that one.

I don't have anything negative to say about the quality of either of these rigs; they are both up on the top shelf of technical hammocks. I will say that if I had to pick which I believed would last longer, I'd say the Clarks. Trade-off there is weight, which is where the Birds win. I don't like the lie in Clark hammocks, but that just makes me a gathered-end hammock guy. Assuming you have laid in both styles of hammocks and liked them both equally, I would say it should boil down to if you wanted rugged, or if you want lighter weight. Quality wise, both are pretty much equal and you won't be displeased with either.
    Thanks Cannibal, this is the sort of stuff ive been wanting to hear, the challenges on the manufacturers boasts. I knew someone would take to the comment of the bug guarantee and or the trapped air insulation pockets, still wondering if the 0 deg C tmp rating is right, but that would also depend on wind and or if or not a person is a cold sleeper i suppose.

thanks for the advice, im wondering if there's many current users of the model im looking at, wanting to hear any complaints with them in comparison, cheers

Hammock
    Clark NX-150 Camo
    Tarp
    Custom Vertex camo
    Insulation
    Kelty Recluse 2.5i
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Clark Stuff

You know you can ask Clark to make you a custom rainfly, they did a "squared off" Vertex rainfly in camo for my NX-150 (VERY reasonable price) and I understand they are thinking of putting it on the website as an option.

So don't be put off by the size of the rainfly, just call or email them and ask.

Actually, I just went to their site and the Vertex fly is the new size that I have, looks like no extra charge! (From the standard upgrade)
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is fixed... the population is growing!

With enough thrust pigs fly just fine!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by DGHPTS View Post
    You know you can ask Clark to make you a custom rainfly, they did a "squared off" Vertex rainfly in camo for my NX-150 (VERY reasonable price) and I understand they are thinking of putting it on the website as an option.

So don't be put off by the size of the rainfly, just call or email them and ask.

Actually, I just went to their site and the Vertex fly is the new size that I have, looks like no extra charge! (From the standard upgrade)
    thanks for that, im not put off by the clark rainfly, i just like the warbonnet superfly design with the doors. I do a lot of things outside of the tent or hammock such as cooking, caping etc, and i also like to cover my gear, hang clothes to dry and so on. The superfly design looks such that it can give good shelter from the wind and especially when it swirls or some of the downpours we can experience here. also allows for a friend and i to sit it out comfortably if he uses a tent, so will more than likely purchase the clark with the rainfly upgrade but also use purchase the superfly from warbonnet, just wont be carting both on a trip, thanks again

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12