Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 89
  1. #71

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    54
    I have not gone through the entire thread, so it may have been covered...

    What about running a piece of bungee the entire length of the hem? My girldfriend doesnt like the 'flappy bits' of my hammock, and i was thinking that running it full length would give her a foolproof way of eliminating the 'flappy bits' without her needing to try and adjust one end or another. Have a cord lock at one end just so she can control the flapping a bit if she wishes... Thoughts?

  2. #72
    bindibadgi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Posts
    293
    Images
    6
    Knotty, yes that's right. I left small gaps in the seam for elastic entry/exit points. It works perfectly!

    I used my machine's 'triple stitch,' and backed up a few stitches (with normal single stitch) at each gap for strength. That may or may not be important.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  3. #73
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,458
    Images
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca81 View Post
    I have not gone through the entire thread, so it may have been covered...

    What about running a piece of bungee the entire length of the hem? My girldfriend doesnt like the 'flappy bits' of my hammock, and i was thinking that running it full length would give her a foolproof way of eliminating the 'flappy bits' without her needing to try and adjust one end or another. Have a cord lock at one end just so she can control the flapping a bit if she wishes... Thoughts?
    Yes this has been done and reports are that it works well. Just adds a bit more weight.

    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    Knotty, yes that's right. I left small gaps in the seam for elastic entry/exit points. It works perfectly!

    I used my machine's 'triple stitch,' and backed up a few stitches (with normal single stitch) at each gap for strength. That may or may not be important.
    I think I'll try that next time. Seems simpler and more straight forward than creating a button hole.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  4. #74
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Hammock
    HH Exped Asym, Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    SuperShelter, Pad
    Posts
    30
    Images
    10
    Are there any instructions for modifying an existing hammock. I want to try it on some tabelclothes hammocks that I constructed.

  5. #75
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,458
    Images
    227
    You're in luck. The stretch-side started as a mod for existing hammocks.

    Stretch-side mod
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  6. #76
    Senior Member Ghillieshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    121
    How long is your ridgeline? I m 6.2 and just seeing what works for you. Cheers mate.

  7. #77
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,458
    Images
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghillieshot View Post
    How long is your ridgeline? I m 6.2 and just seeing what works for you. Cheers mate.
    Check the instructions sheet attached to the first post of this thread. It shows 100" for a 126" hammock. But you might want to tweak that to suit your needs.

    Best wishes on the project.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  8. #78
    Senior Member Itsamescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Posts
    100
    Thanks a ton Knotty.

    I first tried hammock camping last fall with a borrowed ENO single from a buddy. Was looking to buying my first hammock this spring and then I found this site and your instructions. Just ordered all my supplies from backwoodsdaydreamer.com for a light weight gathered hammock with your built in "knotty mod" for about 1/3 the price of buying one.

    Plus I get the bonus of an afternoon of getting my DIY geek on.

    Thanks again!

  9. #79
    doogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Birdsboro, PA
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Posts
    1,249
    Images
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsamescott View Post
    Thanks a ton Knotty.

    I first tried hammock camping last fall with a borrowed ENO single from a buddy. Was looking to buying my first hammock this spring and then I found this site and your instructions. Just ordered all my supplies from backwoodsdaydreamer.com for a light weight gathered hammock with your built in "knotty mod" for about 1/3 the price of buying one.

    Plus I get the bonus of an afternoon of getting my DIY geek on.

    Thanks again!
    Good luck with it, and remember the pictures. I just count it as entertainment expenses and get a bonus of nice gear when I'm done. I still need to make a hammock for my 'little' 14 year old boy (6'1"), but not until I finish seam sealing my winter tarp.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

    Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

  10. #80
    Senior Member Itsamescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Posts
    100
    I just finished my gray 1.1 oz gathered end Sunday night. I have yet to lie in it so it has yet to be fully tested. I used bindibagi's technique of leaving a small space in the seam stitching (reinforced with a triple stitch) for the shock cord.

    Since I am new to hanging, I wanted mine as versatile as possible until I learn my comfort zone so I put channels on both sides of my head and feet ends (4 total channels) where I could add or remove shock cord as needed until I found what I like the best.

    I'll post some pics once I get it hung and tested.

Similar Threads

  1. Stretch-Side Hammock
    By Knotty in forum DIY Stickies
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 17:56
  2. Ghost Hammock or Knotty Side Stretch w/mods
    By Girotogo in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 03:28
  3. Wilderness Logics Stretch side NITE OWL hammock
    By Mule in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 16:39
  4. Where did I buy my stretch side hammock?
    By Mule in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 07:37
  5. Knotty Inspired Side-Stretch Hammock
    By Tendertoe in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 06:51

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •