Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

So far the responses appear to echo my feelings.

Heavy/bulky/costly, but it is a secure fall-winter-spring shelter and has kept me secure for the past year.

I am a side-sleeper, but with the NX-250 I find myself sleeping not quite full on my side, but rather rotated maybe 15 degrees toward the full back position. Still, very comfy.

Am using a HG 3-season 3/4 UQ rather than using the pockets for insulation so I cannot comment on their effectiveness.

Jim

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Not so bulky, after all.

Put the rods in your hollow cane, walking stick or hiking poles.

Kneel on that packed stuff sack. The bulk of the Clark can be cut, perhaps in half. Maybe not by so much if you stash the tarp in there, too, but still quite a bit.

A Warbonnet 1.7 WBDL weighs 40 oz with the "easy suspension" (and stuff sack / bishop bag?) A Clark NX 250 weighs 46 oz without the rain fly, but with the attached stuff sack. And that includes a 6-8 oz weathershield.

Hmm.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    A Warbonnet 1.7 WBDL weighs 40 oz with the "easy suspension" (and stuff sack / bishop bag?) A Clark NX 250 weighs 46 oz without the rain fly, but with the attached stuff sack. And that includes a 6-8 oz weathershield.

Hmm.
    Not quite apples to apples to compare a double layer hammock to a single layer one. The WB SL 1.7 is a closer comparison.

Both are very fine hammocks IMO.

Warbonnet supplies a double-closure stuff sack, but not a true Bishop Bag.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    Just hiked in and set up my NX-250 for the first time. First impression is this will be a great winter hammock. A bit heavier than my Blackbird but I do like the "weather shield". Going down to the low 40's tonight (F) and I will let you know how it does.
    Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    A complete response would be off-topic: which is virtues and perceived deficiencies of the Clark.

For every Warbonnet user who does not avail himself / herself of the opportunity of using a pad between layers -- might that be most people following consensus advice to use an underquilt instead? -- there is nothing on record here of the single and rather substantial --hence heavy -- layer of the Clark being less capable of carrying weight and offering a firm lie than the double layer WBBB.

(And a single layer hammock from WB or anyone else doesn't have the 2/3 layer of the Clark -- the blousy pockets for insulation -- either)

The point is that the Clark is not so heavy as its reputation, just as a roomy stuff sack makes it / them seem more bulky. Nothing in the comparison diminishes either hammock or makes either of them light-weights either.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Clark NX-250

I have been using the NX-250 since they first came out and I like it.

I am 6' and 195#; with a lifetime of experience living/working in bush country. My age doesn't mean that my gear choices are better, only that I have had time to experiment. Hopefully, I will be around to keep learning about the outdoors for many years to come.

The size of the NX-250 hammock fits me well and the spreader bars are awesome. I also have the Z-Liner system; which has insulation pads (one for each bottom pocket) and another "light bulb" shaped part that insulates the lower end.

I like the build quality, performance, and size of both the NX-250 and the Z-Liner very much. The NX-250 really excels in sketchy weather. But, I would not limit its usefulness only to rugged outings. I can use the NX-250 in all conditions, because it is designed with a great deal of flexibility.

I have used an UQ with the NX-250 (with and without the Z-Liner installed) to modify the amount of insulation in winter weather, with good results.

IMHO, the weight and size of the NX-250 are very good as compared to the benefits of the design.

I also own a Warbonnet Traveler and use it for lighter weight outings; sometimes with a JRB MW-3 UQ. I really like that alternative when it fits the conditions I am in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    Just finished my first night in my new NX-250. It went down to 40F and I stayed very warm and slept well. I think this is going to be a great winter hammock but I think I may change out the suspension ropes. Anyone else not thrilled with the factory nylon ropes?

Hammock
    WL lite owl
    Tarp
    camo BMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGMofo View Post
    Just finished my first night in my new NX-250. It went down to 40F and I stayed very warm and slept well. I think this is going to be a great winter hammock but I think I may change out the suspension ropes. Anyone else not thrilled with the factory nylon ropes?
    When used with the drip rings for adjustments they are ok, but I changed mine to whoopee sling. It only takes a few minutes to swap out. Add a caribiner or marlin spike hitch to the tree huggers and its good.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGMofo View Post
    I think it's safe to say, very few people are thrilled with the stock Clark ropes.

I'm taking mine out for spin tonight in Upstate NY. I'm using straps w/Dutch Clips and a HG 3 season UQ.

I'll also be packing my Emberlit stove for the first time actually on the trail. I've used it several times in the backyard and it's the bomb!

Congrats on your buy...it's a quality item.

Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I think it's safe to say, very few people are thrilled with the stock Clark ropes.

I'm taking mine out for spin tonight in Upstate NY. I'm using straps w/Dutch Clips and a HG 3 season UQ.

I'll also be packing my Emberlit stove for the first time actually on the trail. I've used it several times in the backyard and it's the bomb!

Congrats on your buy...it's a quality item.

Miguel
    Great heads up on the Emberlit, I just ordered one. I have been using a Vargo and I really like the way you feed the wood into the side of the Emberlit instead of having to open the door.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast