Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    I use a Warbonnet Traveler bug net over my ENO Doublenest. The hammock does not touch the bug net anywhere, and the bug net has velcro at the ends where it touches the suspension. I have a ridgeline on my hammock that keeps the bug net out of my face. It works pretty well, but I have not used it in the middle of summer down here. Too **** hot for me even then.

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    @ spaceweasel,

The GT idea sounds like a plan to start with. I saw those on Amazon and they have good reviews. If nothing else, I could always hang them on the porch for that price!

Doesn't a double layer get pretty hot in this part of the world? From what I've been reading, it is hard for the little buggers to bite through two layers, but it would seem that if you cut down the air flow here, you''d be well done by morning?????

I just went to a friend of mine who does that storage sale thing and bought a sewing machine. I have been needing one occasionally anyway, just never pulled the trigger. Now I have a good excuse to play around and make a couple of hammocks , nets, and flies.

I know I'm going to try a few options before I shell out 7-8 hundies for two hammocks.

Besides, DYI fits in better with the bushcraft/survival mindset anyway, plus it's fun (for me anyway) to make my own stuff.

Thanks again guys for the help!

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    @Randy.

I may just take you up on that offer sometime!

I see you have a kayak in the surf in your avitar. My son and I got into kayak fishing about a year and a half ago, but we've only done freshwater so far. (we live on Toledo Bend) Maybe we can set up something next spring and get a little salty!

In the meantime, the bass fishing on the Bend is outrageous right now and with the water so low (12 feet low), there are almost zero glitter rockets on the lake to contend with! If you get up this way, let me know!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Welcome to HF!
    If you can make it, come on out to the Texas Fall Hang where you will see all KINDS of setups.

Texas Fall Hang thread here -> click me

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    @mtbikernate,

I hear you on the middle of the summertime! It's too hot around here to go outside, much less camp. I have even switched to strictly night fishing in the summer. I'm planning a trip with my boy (14) next summer that will carry us through the rockies and eventually into the high sierras in Ca. Considering the radical changes in altitude and temperature, I'm going to have to have a 3 season setup, at least. I'm going to start working on it now, so hopefully I'll have most of the kinks worked out by then!

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    @ Alan,

Sounds like a blast, depending on where it is.

I don't usually do regular campgrounds, but right now with the burn bans, that's the only place you can even cook! I live on Toledo Bend and I can't even run my smoker without somebody calling the law. We went out for a night a couple of weeks ago since cooler weather is finally here and had to use self heating MREs. That just ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by Hard2Kill View Post
    @ spaceweasel,

The GT idea sounds like a plan to start with. I saw those on Amazon and they have good reviews. If nothing else, I could always hang them on the porch for that price!

Doesn't a double layer get pretty hot in this part of the world? From what I've been reading, it is hard for the little buggers to bite through two layers, but it would seem that if you cut down the air flow here, you''d be well done by morning?????

I just went to a friend of mine who does that storage sale thing and bought a sewing machine. I have been needing one occasionally anyway, just never pulled the trigger. Now I have a good excuse to play around and make a couple of hammocks , nets, and flies.

I know I'm going to try a few options before I shell out 7-8 hundies for two
    hammocks.

Besides, DYI fits in better with the bushcraft/survival mindset anyway, plus it's fun (for me anyway) to make my own stuff.

Thanks again guys for the help!

I sleep very hot..
    On nights that get 70 and below you are going to need something extra. With a double it gives you protection from the darn skeeters and helps with a pad for insulation and no mater how hot you sleep you will need insulation. Even in this hot and humid enviroment of ours. A cool summer wind can chill you to the bone if you are not prepared for it. I know a few plp that have given up on hammocks, just because they are not ready to deal with how cool sleeping in a hammock can get...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    On nights that get 70 and below you are going to need something extra. With a double it gives you protection from the darn skeeters and helps with a pad for insulation and no mater how hot you sleep you will need insulation.
    Believe it or not, that sounds great to me! I have been camping for nearly 50 years and the biggest problem I have ever had is being too hot sleeping, even in snow a** deep to a giraffe!

There is always an answer for being cold, but there is only so much you can do for being hot!

I keep my bedroom at home about 55-60. Maybe I need to hang in there as well, maybe I could save some money on electricity. Money saved on dull stuff like that can always be used to have fun!

This is going to be interesting......

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12